What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on August 22, 2017, 06:11:11 PM
He doesn't pay income taxes in the US because he doesn't earn an income in the US.

One of the great privileges of US citizenship is being subject to income tax based on your worldwide income, regardless of source and wherever earned.
The actual payment liability can be reduced, perhaps to zero, using exclusions under the Code, and by taking advantage of double taxation treaties which exist with many countries.
But yes you have to file a return.
Hence the phenomenon of US citizen tax exiles renouncing their citizenship to slum it in Monaco, Lux, Bermuda, etc.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on August 22, 2017, 01:02:20 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 12:38:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2017, 12:37:19 PM
The Brits are going to send him home soon.

Still got 2.5 years!

Not sure if America will survive that long.   ;)
We'll figure out a way, no one is irreplaceable.

CountDeMoney

Gotta love how Trump--in Phoenix and not only arguing about what he did and didn't say about Charlottesville, but hinting at giving Sheriff Joe a presidential pardon--brought the one black guy he knows with him.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2017, 10:18:23 PM
Gotta love how Trump--in Phoenix and not only arguing about what he did and didn't say about Charlottesville, but hinting at giving Sheriff Joe a presidential pardon--brought the one black guy he knows with him.

Hershel Walker?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20170821/actbac-to-commissioners-leave-monument-alone

Commissioner Tim Sutton rails against 'political correctness,' defends Confederate monument, calls ancestor's slaves 'workers'

The unexpected topic for Monday's Alamance County Board of Commissioners meeting was Confederate statues and memorials.

A group of ACTBAC (Alamance County Taking Back Alamance County) members appeared before the board to ask it to consider keeping the Confederate statue in downtown Graham.

Gary Williamson, founder of ACTBAC, got through only two paragraphs of a speech he wrote before a buzzer stopped him.

"There is a battle going on like none of us have ever seen before," Williamson said. "For those of us that understand and know the truths of history, we are facing an unsure future. It is very important that our elected leaders in the community know that the recent events that transpired in Charlottesville do not lay on the backs of our county or the great state of North Carolina."

Williamson explained that he has never met anyone who claimed to be a part of the KKK or Nazi Party.

"No Southern man that stands behind the truths of Southern history will ever stand beside a man holding a Nazi symbol," Williamson said. "The men and women that hold these Confederate monuments dear to our hearts share a stand for no reason other than pride and honor for the sons and fathers that answered the call to defend their homes, their families and their rights. To me personally, I know each and every inch of my family history, and I have eight links of Confederate ancestors. Not one owned slaves. Our monuments are no different than a grave marker for the sons and fathers that did not return home from the battles that they believed to be worthy of cause."

Others claimed that the monument should stay because of its history and what it represents.

"My great-grandfather was a Confederate soldier, and I was proud of that because my opinion of his fight was for his rights," one man said. "I am really concerned about our monument. I want it to stay. It reminds me that I got a little rebel in me. We all have a little rebel in us, even the ladies. I am asking you people here tonight to support keeping our monument. It breaks my heart that my history has to be lied about and degraded by people that really don't know what they are talking about."

The commissioners responded to the comments by explaining that the monument being taken down or removed was not on the agenda for that night and is not even an option for the board to execute. They also reflected personal feelings on the matter.

"Some people don't like our monument because they say it honors a civilization that was built on the cruelty, white supremacy, the institutional exploitation of people based on race, and all decent people abhor those things, as I do, and therefore the monument, they say, should come down, even unlawfully and by force," Commissioner Amy Scott Galey said. "Doing things unlawfully and by force is never the right answer. If the monument were ever to be moved or removed, it must be done after the appropriate political process has been seen to. Otherwise, anarchists and bullies get their way. That is forcing one point of view on another without following the law, and that is just as un-American as racism and white supremacy. I do not support that. I promise you, if anything happens to that monument unlawfully, I will vote to restore it and replace it right where it is now."

She continued to denounce unlawful removal of statues by arguing that the money spent on restoring the statue could instead go toward schools and other important programs.

"Anybody who really cares about the health and well being, the future of Alamance County, wants to avoid spending money on fixing the monument or replacing it. Please leave the monument alone so we don't have to spend that money to fix and replace it," Galey said.

Commissioners Bob Byrd and Bill Lashley ultimately agreed that the monument should stay.

"It is a symbol of heritage and honor and valor and various things," Byrd. "To others, it is a symbol of racism and hatred."

"This monument was erected decades ago, and from these monuments, they reflect our history and our culture. Good or bad, history is what it is," Lashley said.

Commissioner Tim Sutton finalized the board's comments by admitting he is a chartered member of the Sons of the Confederacy and hinted that his family once owned slaves.

"I will never vote to do anything to take that statue or monument away from here for whatever reason," Sutton said. "If it comes down, it goes back up. To heck with facts. The emotions have just gone haywire. I am not going to be a victim of political correctness. I am just not going to do it. Label me all you want, say what you will about me.

"I am not ashamed of my great-grandfather," Sutton continued. "He did what he did. It is my understanding that when he died, from Sarah, my grandmother, that some guys on the farm, you can call them slaves if you want to, but I would just call them workers, that they raised a good bit of my family. When the time came, my great-grandmother gave them land. I am not going to be an assault on logic, an assault on the history of this country and the heritage of this area and this country. Not going to do it."

AFTER TALK OF Confederate statues and monuments was finished, the board approved spending $1.2 million in county funds for mental health services. Four contracts coming to $1.2 million will be spent on mental health services, most of which will go to keeping people with mental illnesses out of jail, for the rest of the fiscal year.

The board also approved an Alamance-Burlington School System request to use $78,000 in lottery funds for school repairs, including a playground ramp, a gym, building access and roof evaluations.

This will leave close to $2.4 million in the fund balance.

The board also set a public hearing on Sept. 18 to discuss changes to the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance because of new flood insurance rate maps from the N.C. Department of Public Safety.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 22, 2017, 06:28:28 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 22, 2017, 06:21:23 PM
It doesn't work that way. Viper is right. US Citizens have to file tax reports wherever they are, even if they don't earn money in the US

Quote from: irs1.  I'm a U.S. citizen living and working outside of the United States for many years. Do I still need to file a U.S. tax return?

Yes, if you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien living outside the United States, your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you live. However, you may qualify for certain foreign earned income exclusions and/or foreign income tax credits.

You have to file, but unless you're making more than about $80,000 a year, you probably won't be paying anything.

That is not the threshold. Also, thanks Brexit exchange rate Britain... :sleep:

And yes, I do have to e-file a return saying I owe nothing. Even get to use the free options afforded to those who are poor given my minimal earnings stateside.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quotethat some guys on the farm, you can call them slaves if you want to, but I would just call them workers

Wait, what?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Well he did say, in true GOPtard fashion, "To heck with facts".

celedhring

Slavery is just a very long employment contract were both parts are compensated. Why do you hate capitalism?

Tonitrus

The Brain

Clearly putting the employees on the books makes them more important and lends some dignity to an otherwise fairly sordid undertaking.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

I'm licking my chops!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/glenn-simpson-key-figure-million-dollar-dossier-face/story?id=49348102

QuoteGlenn Simpson, key figure behind million-dollar 'dossier,' to face questions
By BRIAN ROSS MATTHEW MOSK RHONDA SCHWARTZ
Aug 22, 2017, 6:03 AM ET

A key figure behind the so-called dossier featuring uncorroborated and salacious allegations about then-candidate Donald Trump's ties to Russia will be questioned by investigators from the Senate Judiciary Committee today about the funding and sources for the document.

During last year's heated Republican primary race, Fusion GPS, a private research firm founded by former Wall Street Journal reporter Glenn Simpson, was initially paid about a million dollars by wealthy Republicans and then later worked for Democrats, all of whom wanted to dig up dirt on Trump and plant negative news stories, according to political operatives.

Simpson, who will appear in a closed session on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, hired the former MI6 agent Christopher Steele to compile the now infamous dossier, which alleged that members of the Trump campaign colluded with Russian agents to damage Hillary Clinton, Trump's Democratic opponent.

Republicans in Congress are stepping up their efforts to uncover the funders of and sources for that controversial document and its — so far — largely unverified claims as special counsel Robert Mueller's high-profile probe of those alleged ties heats up.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has made it clear that Simpson's work has landed him in the crosshairs.

"We will also pursue details about Mr. Simpson's role in this event and the creation and circulation of the dossier that started this whole controversy," Grassley said in a hearing in July.

As a reporter, Simpson specialized in coverage of money laundering and Russian organized crime. In an appearance on a panel at a film festival in 2016, he explained that he started Fusion GPS after leaving journalism because he thought his investigative skills would be valuable to a range of wealthy clients.

"What I really like to do is gather documents and put things together in a way that they could be used to expose a crime or right a wrong," Simpson said. "I call it journalism for rent."

The 35-page dossier, which included a series of salacious allegations, was completed shortly before the presidential election. Eventually the intelligence Steele gathered was shared with journalists, the Clinton campaign and the FBI.

When BuzzFeed obtained and published the document in January, little more than a week before of Trump's inauguration, he was outraged.

"It's all fake news. It's phony stuff. It didn't happen," Trump said at a press conference. "And it was gotten by opponents of ours, as you know, because you reported it and so did many of the other people. It was a group of opponents that got together — sick people — and they put that crap together."

Simpson isn't the only person who could face questions about dossier's production. Lawmakers also want to talk to Steele, and a recent U.S. court ruling in a related case could compel him to comply.

Lawyers for Aleksej Gubarev, a Russian tech mogul who was named in the dossier, were recently granted approval by Judge Ursula Ungaro of U.S. District Court in the Southern District of Florida to seek British approval to question Steele under oath as part of Gubarev's libel suit against BuzzFeed.

"I have to ask myself, 'What is it that they're hiding?'" said Valentin Gurvits, Gubarev's attorney. "To me, it is a very strange situation."

According to people briefed on the developments, Steele has met with the FBI and provided agents with the names of his sources for the allegations in the dossier.

It is unclear how much information lawmakers will be able to obtain from Simpson this week. Attorneys for Fusion GPS have indicated to the committee that its client relationships are confidential.

ABC News' Randy Kreider contributed to this report.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Good lord!  :lmfao:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/22/media/breitbart-prank-emails/index.html
QuoteA self-described "email prankster" seemingly fooled top editors at Breitbart over the weekend into believing he was Steve Bannon, the fired White House chief strategist who returned to the right-wing website as executive chairman on Friday.

In the emails, Breitbart Editor-in-Chief Alex Marlow pledged that he and several other top editors would do Bannon's "dirty work" against White House aides. The emails were shared with CNN by the prankster.

In other emails, Marlow suggested he could have Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump ousted from the White House "by end of year" and shared a personal smear about their private lives, perhaps an indication of how low the website is willing to go to achieve its agenda.

This is not the first time the anonymous email prankster, who tweets under the name @SINON_REBORN and describes himself as a "lazy anarchist," has pulled a stunt like this. In July, the person fooled top White House officials into thinking he was other officials, causing a stir in the West Wing. At the time, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the White House was "looking into" the incidents.

The editor in chief was unrepentant, telling CNN,"The obsession with Breitbart News is simply a result of our effectiveness. This time, an imposter deceitfully obtained and shared with CNN tongue-in-cheek emails that revealed that we feel Globalists present an existential threat to the agenda that got President Trump elected." Marlow suggested, "If people want to know our thinking, they don't need to judge us on illicitly obtained comments that were intended to be private, they can simply read our front page. "

The email exchanges began with the prankster writing Breitbart editors a simple message from an account masquerading as Bannon's.

"Reading online about how i'll be bringing forth my wrath on Ivanka and Jared," read an email sent Sunday from the fake Bannon account to Marlow. "I'd be doing this great nation a service if I did."

"I spooked em today," replied Marlow. "Did five stories on globalist takeover positioning you as only hope to stop it."

"You need to own that, just have surrogates do the dirty work. Boyle, Raheem, me, Tony have been waiting for this," Marlow added, referring to Washington editor Matthew Boyle, Breitbart London Editor-in-Chief Raheem Kassam, and reporter Tony Lee.

The prankster, posing as Bannon, emailed Marlow a link to a Sunday Breitbart post that aggregated a Daily Mail report to suggest Ivanka Trump was instrumental in pushing Bannon from the White House.

"This was a fun read," the fake Bannon account said.

Marlow then shared a personal smear about the private life of Ivanka Trump, and her husband, Kushner. CNN has chosen not to repeat the smear because it is unfounded and unsubstantiated.

"Haha.. lovely stuff," replied the fake Bannon account. "So do you think you'll have them packed and shipping out before Christmas?"

"Let me see what I can do... hard to know given your description of them as evil," Marlow replied. "I don't know what motivates them. If they are semi normal, then yes, they out by end of year."

Marlow added: "You saying no admin is more divided is more important thing you said all weekend... let's talk about it in person."

A White House spokesperson declined to comment on the emails about Ivanka Trump and Kushner. Bannon also did not respond to CNN's requests for comment.

The prankster did not stop the emails and continued to bait Marlow, sending the Breitbart editor messages that were increasingly absurd.

In another email thread, the prankster seemed to fool Joel Pollak, Breitbart's senior editor-at-large.

"No one can figure out what [Ivanka Trump and Kushner] do," Pollak wrote in an email to the fake Bannon account.

"Had a good chat with Alex," the prankster replied, referring to Marlow. "Seems he's already aligning the crosshairs and making me the masked puppeteer."

"Excellent. I just tried calling," Pollak wrote back. "Not sure if you have the same number. I'm at 847-XYZ-XXXX. Available anytime."

The prankster told CNN that the latest stunt was inspired by Bannon's ouster and how Breitbart was "literally falling over itself to attack those he sat drinking coffee with days before."

"It all seemed very duplicitous and littered with nuance and righteousness," the prankster said. "I don't much care for the Trump administration or Breitbart so I didn't really do much but see what happened."

After the Breitbart editors realized they had been hoodwinked, Breitbart president and CEO Larry Solov wrote a cautionary note to staffers.

"For the moment, be especially careful of emails from this address," Solov wrote in the company's internal Slack channel, a copy of which was obtained by CNN.

Solov added: "They are fake."

Bannon served as executive chairman of Breitbart before he joined the Trump campaign last August and later took the role as chief strategist in the White House. On Friday, mere hours after being fired by Trump, Bannon returned to Breitbart as executive chairman.

Immediately after Bannon's return, Breitbart started to prepare stories critical of people in the Trump White House, a person at the website told CNN on Friday. It's most likely the site will not -- for now, at least -- directly attack the president. Instead, it will likely focus its ire on people in Trump's circle who had clashed with Bannon, or who are viewed as Democrats or "globalists." On Monday, for instance, the website savaged Trump's speech on Afghanistan, placing much of the blame for the strategy on National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster.
Bannon, for his part, has strongly hinted at a war with members of the White House. He told the Weekly Standard on Friday that he felt "jacked up" to be back at Breitbart and once again have his hands "back on my weapons."

"Someone said, 'it's Bannon the Barbarian.' I am definitely going to crush the opposition," he said. "There's no doubt. I built a f***ing machine at Breitbart. And now I'm about to go back, knowing what I know, and we're about to rev that machine up. And rev it up we will do."

https://twitter.com/SINON_REBORN/status/900087316974379008/photo/1

1 Karma Chameleon point