News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2017, 01:30:43 PM
Trump may block Comey from testifying (he hasn't decided yet).

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-idUSKBN18T1WZ?il=0

Bluff. That would bring Mueller right to the White House's doorstep: his mandate is broad enough that he could decide there's significant cause to investigate WH obstruction as an issue "arising from" his current investigation.
Experience bij!

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 02, 2017, 01:33:58 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 02, 2017, 01:30:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2017, 01:03:06 PM
Then it's perhaps fair to say that Donald's withdrawal and the reaction to the withdrawal are yugely overblown.

No, quite the opposite. It was a temper tantrum. It was the same kind of temper tantrum that led to the rant at NATO HQ. Since it wasn't legally binding, and he could have literally completely changed the targets without anything happening ("We gave it a shot, but it was too expensive to be fully implemented by our industrial sector"), there was no reason to torpedo the whole thing except to piss off Obama and/or the other participating countries.

This has Steve Bannon all over it.

Apparently he was the main driver behind the move, yes. He just doesn't like anything that smells of "globalism".

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 02, 2017, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2017, 01:03:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2017, 12:47:11 PM
Yes.  The legal terms of the agreement itself are not of great significance.  It is significant as a signaling mechanism, both ways.

Then it's perhaps fair to say that Donald's withdrawal and the reaction to the withdrawal are yugely overblown.

Perhaps.

I'm also not entirely certain Donald even realized this distinction, though.

I'm actually pretty certain he just came to the decision because the last person he talked to before the announcement said "Nope, withdraw!" And that was that.

No, this sounds like something that Trump was really firm on.  The list of people who tried to tell him to stay in was very very long, apparently, including Ivanka and Kushner.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2017, 02:27:46 PM
No, this sounds like something that Trump was really firm on.  The list of people who tried to tell him to stay in was very very long, apparently, including Ivanka and Kushner.

And Gary Cohn. So apparently this deal that was so bad for the US economy had the director of the National Economic Council saying stay? :hmm:

It really does have Bannon's fingerprints all over it- we're running out of inner circle personnel at the White House that could have convinced him to make such a phenomenal blunder.
Experience bij!

11B4V

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 02, 2017, 02:40:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2017, 02:27:46 PM

And Gary Cohn. So apparently this deal that was so bad for the US economy had the director of the National Economic Council saying stay? :hmm:

It really does have Bannon's fingerprints all over it- we're running out of inner circle personnel at the White House that could have convinced him to make such a phenomenal blunder.

Guarantee that little mother fucker was the main driver.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Guys, some good news, you've already got 134 days of this soap drama behind you.  :cool:

Just another 1,327 days to 2021 inauguration.  :P

My prediction this thread will top out at 4,000 pages.

Or maybe 8,000 pages.  ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Right now I am just thinking about 2018. A victory there would ease my concerns greatly. I mean presuming we are all not dead.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Well, you and Yi better start convincing people one by one, because 2018 doesn't look so promising.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Yeah. It's nice to think that Trump is just so terrible that 2018 will be watershed rejection of what he stands for... but just hoping real hard is probably not going to move the needle much.

Oexmelin

Indeed, as CdM said, the very things that make him terrible are what make him popular among his core constituency. And it's a politically very motivated constituency. Then there are the Republicans who would never vote for a Democrat because insert specious pretext here. Part of the reason why I posted the poll is my fear that there are a bunch of apathetic liberal people out there who confuse voicing outrage on Facebook with "doing their part" (and therefore, feel confident about Trump's demise). 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 02, 2017, 07:15:38 PM
Indeed, as CdM said, the very things that make him terrible are what make him popular among his core constituency. And it's a politically very motivated constituency. Then there are the Republicans who would never vote for a Democrat because insert specious pretext here. Part of the reason why I posted the poll is my fear that there are a bunch of apathetic liberal people out there who confuse voicing outrage on Facebook with "doing their part" (and therefore, feel confident about Trump's demise).

"Nobody I know voted for Trump."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 02, 2017, 06:58:09 PM
Yeah. It's nice to think that Trump is just so terrible that 2018 will be watershed rejection of what he stands for... but just hoping real hard is probably not going to move the needle much.

As long as the Electoral College guarantees that 1 man /= 1 vote, a hard 40% will outlast an apathetic 60%.

Besides, things aren't really going to happen until the 2020 Census opens the door for some redistricting.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 02, 2017, 06:49:25 PM
Well, you and Yi better start convincing people one by one, because 2018 doesn't look so promising.

Yuk yuk yuk
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

His constituency is doing the same fucking thing: bitching on facebook.

Rioting in the streets and shooting people in the face is not going to have the dramatic positive impact you seem to think.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2017, 07:33:27 PM

His constituency is doing the same fucking thing: bitching on facebook.

Rioting in the streets and shooting people in the face is not going to have the dramatic positive impact you seem to think.

That is how you get the Trumpenreich SA.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive