News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on June 02, 2017, 03:38:46 AM
Quote"I'm willing to immediately work with Democratic leaders to either negotiate our way back into Paris, under the terms that are fair to the United States and its workers, or to negotiate a new deal that protects our country and its taxpayers. [Applause.]

"So if the obstructionists want to get together with me, let's make them non-obstructionists. We will all sit down, and we will get back into the deal. And we'll make it good, and we won't be closing up our factories, and we won't be losing our jobs. And we'll sit down with the Democrats and all of the people that represent either the Paris accord or something that we can do that's much better than the Paris accord. And I think the people of our country will be thrilled, and I think then the people of the world will be thrilled. But until we do that, we're out of the agreement.
I wonder what he thinks he can negotiate about and with whom...? Not sure why he even mentions the Democrats. It's not really a domestic issue.

It is for him and his party. Democracts approved it = DOOM FOR TEH NATION

Tamas

I think it is quite proper for one Russian vassal state to follow suit with the other Russian vassal state. Thumbs up!

Syt

"Let it be known around the world, that an agreement signed by the U.S. doesn't mean shit!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2017, 03:58:05 AM
"Let it be known around the world, that an agreement signed by the U.S. doesn't mean shit!"

Don't worry the world will quickly learn which family members "foundations" need to be sponsored to make a deal iron clad.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2017, 03:57:38 AM
I think it is quite proper for one Russian vassal state to follow suit with the other Russian vassal state. Thumbs up!

Syria has bigger fish to fry atm tbh.

Syt

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/jun/01/fact-checking-donald-trumps-statement-withdrawing-/

Quote[...]

A final note

Trump opened his speech saying his team was tracking the terrorist attack in Manila. The most recent reports say that the gun fire that took place at a resort came from a lone man aiming to rob gamblers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Oh Juncker, you're so sassy...

QuoteEuropean Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker said US leader Donald Trump does not know what he is doing on climate ahead of Trump's decision on the Paris accord.

He said in Berlin on Wednesday (31 May) that Trump did not "fully understand" the Paris climate deal even though EU leaders tried to "explain" it to him "in clear, simple sentences" at a recent summit in Italy.

He also said it would take the US four years to exit the pact even if Trump announced the U-turn, as feared, on Thursday.

"This notion - 'I'm Trump. I'm American. America first, so I'm going to get out of it.' - that's not going to happen", Juncker said at an event in the German capital organised by a German employers' group, the BDA.

"We tried to explain this in clear, simple sentences to Mr Trump in Taormina [Italy], but it would appear that he didn't understand".

"Mr. Trump ... doesn't get close enough to the dossiers to fully understand them", the EU Commission chief said.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on June 02, 2017, 02:20:55 AM
All those alliances, friendships, connections, goodwill, influence, and partnership with all the other countries on earth that the US has built up over the years are probably some of the most valuable assets the US has.  Is it really worth it to just throw away a big chunk of all that?

That's what a Republican government is.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2017, 01:02:47 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/02/full-text-of-trumps-speech-draconian-paris-accord-dumped

QuoteFull text of Trump's speech – 'Draconian' Paris accord dumped

"Thank you very much. [Applause.] Thank you.
The United States, under the Trump administration, will continue to be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth. We'll be the cleanest. We're going to have the cleanest air. We're going to have the cleanest water.

......"

That's some staggering bullshit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Wait a second.  That map means that North Korea, Iran, all the oil-producing Gulf countries, Saudi Arabia etc are on board the Paris agreement, while the US isn't. 

Syria hasn't joined but it is understandable that they are kind of busy at the moment.  Not sure what's with that Central America one. 

Grey Fox

Nicaragua didn't join because it found the agreement not harsh enough on none-compliance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/05/31/why-nicaragua-and-syria-didnt-join-the-paris-climate-accord/?utm_term=.9c8c19bd0c69

QuoteOquist, who was in Paris representing Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, said rich countries should pay more for climate change, as they were historically responsible for causing more damage to the environment and developing nations such as his own would be the worst hit.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on June 02, 2017, 02:20:55 AM
All those alliances, friendships, connections, goodwill, influence, and partnership with all the other countries on earth that the US has built up over the years are probably some of the most valuable assets the US has.  Is it really worth it to just throw away a big chunk of all that?
All that legacy of prideful ignorance and insanity, it was bound to catch up with us.  Electing Trump may have been a defining moment of insanity, but the mental illness was developing for quite a while.

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on June 02, 2017, 04:57:06 AM
Oh Juncker, you're so sassy...

QuoteEuropean Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker said US leader Donald Trump does not know what he is doing on climate ahead of Trump's decision on the Paris accord.

He said in Berlin on Wednesday (31 May) that Trump did not "fully understand" the Paris climate deal even though EU leaders tried to "explain" it to him "in clear, simple sentences" at a recent summit in Italy.

He also said it would take the US four years to exit the pact even if Trump announced the U-turn, as feared, on Thursday.

"This notion - 'I'm Trump. I'm American. America first, so I'm going to get out of it.' - that's not going to happen", Juncker said at an event in the German capital organised by a German employers' group, the BDA.

"We tried to explain this in clear, simple sentences to Mr Trump in Taormina [Italy], but it would appear that he didn't understand".

"Mr. Trump ... doesn't get close enough to the dossiers to fully understand them", the EU Commission chief said.

I like how world leaders just openly make fun of him now. I don't even think they did that to bush. I wonder if trump knows. Or if his aides let him know.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Berlusconi must love Trump. He makes him look like a political titan in comparison.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2017, 02:36:47 AM
I am sorry but Merkel's idea of cosying up with the Chinese instead is a horrible idea.

It's just realpolitik.  Merkel (and Macron and Renzi and FillinYuroLeader) are under no illusions about China but if China (and Russia) are willing to offer favorable terms of engagement to take advantage of the US rift, why not consider it?  If the US position is that every contact between nations is just an episodic transaction between rivalrous competitors, it doesn't really leave any other option.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson