And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on June 02, 2017, 06:30:49 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2017, 01:02:47 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/02/full-text-of-trumps-speech-draconian-paris-accord-dumped

QuoteThe United States, under the Trump administration, will continue to be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth. We'll be the cleanest. We're going to have the cleanest air. We're going to have the cleanest water.

......"

That's some staggering bullshit.

"Most respectful to women"   "Least racist"   "Least anti-Semitic"  "Best health care" etc.
See the pattern.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

Greatest asshattery, dumbest arguments, best-smelling covfefe.

DontSayBanana

I love that the mayor of Pittsburgh bashed Trump on... where else? Twitter.

Quote from: TrumpI was elected to represent Pittsburgh, not Paris.

Quote from: Bill Peduto
@billpeduto

Fact: Hillary Clinton received 80% of the vote in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh stands with the world & will follow Paris Agreement @HillaryClinton

Experience bij!

Valmy

So all you need to do to get Donald Trump to go along with an agreement is sign it in Pittsburgh since he seems to think international treaties are done by the local population.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2017, 08:43:36 AM
So all you need to do to get Donald Trump to go along with an agreement is sign it in Pittsburgh since he seems to think international treaties are done by the local population.

Could you imagine Trump in a Primanti Brothers resturant in Shitsburgh? I'd pay to watch that.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Does Donald realize that it's called the Paris Agreement because it was negotiated there, not because it is intended to help the city of Paris?  The Geneva Conventions were not written to protect a city in Switzerland.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 02, 2017, 08:47:01 AM
Does Donald realize that it's called the Paris Agreement because it was negotiated there, not because it is intended to help the city of Paris?  The Geneva Conventions were not written to protect a city in Switzerland.

I presume he does. He thought that line would appeal to the moronic and jingoistic.

But that seems to be all he wants to appeal to. How many foreign nations did he insult in that speech? All of them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2017, 08:55:26 AM
How many foreign nations did he insult in that speech? All of them?

That speech was so dumb it personally insulted every single human being who has ever been or ever will be alive.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on June 02, 2017, 07:43:15 AM
I like how world leaders just openly make fun of him now. I don't even think they did that to bush. I wonder if trump knows. Or if his aides let him know.

Read the piece in the Wash Post from today--he was always opposed to it, but apparently efforts to convince him otherwise only solidified his opinion, and pissing off the Europeans was a side benefit to it.

This is what makes him so dangerous--it's bad enough hat he doesn't know what he doesn't know, but he would rather double down on his ignorance instead of reversing himself, because that's weakness.

And people scoffed when I said we'll all be dead by September.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2017, 03:58:05 AM
"Let it be known around the world, that an agreement signed by the U.S. doesn't mean shit!"
it's been that way for a while.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

So CNN left off on the in depth of analysis of "Covfefe" and now are covering Trump's withdrawal of the Paris Climate Accord at about the same level.  I found that all their pundits shared my view on Trump's action, so to get perspective I went to Fox News, and:

QuoteHollywood suffers melt down over Paris Climate Accord

President Trump's decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord has sparked widespread hysteria in juice bars and luxury spas across Hollywood.

As a candidate, Trump vowed to "cancel" the Paris climate deal – slamming what he called "draconian climate rules."

"The Paris accord is very unfair at the highest level to the United States," the president told a gathering Thursday in the Rose Garden.

House Speaker Paul Ryan praised the president's decision and thanked him for "withdrawing from this bad deal."

"The Paris climate agreement was simply a raw deal for America," Ryan said. "Signed by President Obama without Senate ratification, it would have driven up the cost of energy, hitting middle-class and low-income Americans the hardest."

But some of Hollywood's most esteemed scientists fear the president's decision will put the nation on a slippery slope to the hothouse – an apocalyptic future with homeless Eskimos and polar bears unable to put their Coca-Colas on ice.

"If this is true he will have the death of whole nations on his hands," warned scientist/actor Mark Ruffalo. "People will be looking to the USA for retribution for what they loose."

I wonder which nation will be the first to spontaneously combust –  Iceland? Liechtenstein?

Beauty and the Beast star Josh Gad took a break from playing make-believe to ponder our fate.

"Our children & our grandchildren have all just been handed a dark future because of a man who tweets at 3:00 AM & doesn't 'trust' science," Gad tweeted.

Cher, who apparently has some sort of graduate level degree in climatology, posted a bizarre rant, suggesting the nation has been "held hostage by Insane DICTATOR."

Don Cheadle, known for his esteemed role as a Juicy Burger's employee in the 1985 film "Moving Violations," decided to bring Trump's little boy into the debate.

"If you care about your kids maybe reconsider your #ParisAgreement decision. Barron will thank you when he sees you, whenever that is," Cheadle tweeted.

Leonardo DeCaprio, who became a famous Hollywood star because of an iceberg, was devastated by the news.

"Today, our planet suffered," he declared on Twitter.

Do you feel his pain, America? I suspect he will evacuate to some far-flung, exotic island in a private jet to mend his wounded psyche.

I'm old school. Back when I was growing up we did not have climate change or global warming. We had something called weather. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter. It's an inconvenient truth, but it needed to be said.

And many of us appreciate President Trump putting America first – instead of a bunch of godless European vegetarians who don't put ice in their soft drinks.

"I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris," the president said in the Rose Garden.

So, let's celebrate, America! I'm marking the occasion by firing up the grill, smoking a pork butt, cranking up the air-conditioning and driving around the neighborhood in a gas-guzzling SUV. And later tonight, I'll remove an ice tray from my freezer to watch the ice cubes melt.

USA! USA! USA!

Maybe I've gone far off to the left, but to me this reads like a parody of right-wing anti-intellectualism and anti-elitism (though to be fair most of Fox News's punditry was considerably better than this.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

The Breitbart headline roundup:
QuoteWilbur Ross: Europeans Angry About Losing 'Free Ride' from Climate Accord That Was 'Terrible Deal'

Celebs RAGE over U.S. Withdrawal from Paris Accord: 'Crime Against Humanity'...

...Weather Channel Melts down After Trump Pulls Out...

COLLUSION? DEMS AGREE WITH PUTIN ON PARIS AGREEMENT
by PENNY STARR

LIBERAL CITIES MOURN BY SHINING GREEN LIGHTS ON BUILDINGS
by ADAM SHAW

TED CRUZ BUSTS ELON MUSK FOR FLYING PRIVATE JET WHILE LECTURING TRUMP ON GLOBAL WARMING...
by LUCAS NOLAN

...DISNEY CEO JOINS MUSK, QUITS TRUMP ADVISORY COUNCIL...
by DANIEL NUSSBAUM

Delingpole: Paris Speech Just Made Trump Great Again...

...Trump Diffuses Constitutional Crisis by Leaving Paris Treaty
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

It simply reinforces Krugman's piece in the NYT; Trump and the GOP's rejection of Paris isn't just another example of traditional American anti-intellectualism; nowadays policy is increasingly based on spite.  Whatever pisses off the Left, the "Elites" and Hollywood must therefore be good for America.  Fox just plays along.

Eddie Teach

Syt, you should leave that site alone. Look what it did to Raz.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?