Embarassing customs, behaviours and habits of your compatriots?

Started by Martinus, November 03, 2016, 05:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2016, 02:23:32 PM
Celebrating ignorance and considering thoughtfulness weak and effeminate. But since the invention of the internet I notice that is not nearly as culturally unique as I once thought.

Wuss.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2016, 03:21:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2016, 02:23:32 PM
Celebrating ignorance and considering thoughtfulness weak and effeminate. But since the invention of the internet I notice that is not nearly as culturally unique as I once thought.

Wuss.

See!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on November 03, 2016, 03:23:24 PM
My countryfolk apologize when you step on their toes.  :P

That's a translation error. When we say sorry we mean fuck you.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2016, 12:57:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2016, 05:16:32 AM
What are some of the common behaviours, customs and habits of your fellow nationals that you are embarassed about?

For Poles: clapping when their plane hits the tarmac. This is (thankfully) much less common on scheduled flights, but on charter flights, especially tourist ones, it is almost ubiquitous - apparently Poles consider it a great achievement for a pilot to land the plane safely and applause.  :Embarrass:

Only flight I experienced that was to and from Thessaloniki where the Greeks all applauded.

Italians applaud when landing as well.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 03, 2016, 05:48:32 PM
About as retarded at clapping at the end of a movie.

:yes: I clap at irregular intervals during a movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on November 03, 2016, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 03, 2016, 03:32:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 03, 2016, 03:31:20 PM
That's a translation error. When we say sorry we mean fuck you.

Bless your heart.

That's southern for the same thing, isn't it? :P

No, that's southern for "you're retarded."

Tonitrus

I think the last time I recall seeing that was at the premier of the original Independence Day.  The crowd was really into the movie. 

KRonn

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 03, 2016, 08:07:58 PM

I think the last time I recall seeing that was at the premier of the original Independence Day.  The crowd was really into the movie.

That's fun when the theater goers feel so into a movie that they applaud.   :)