Embarassing customs, behaviours and habits of your compatriots?

Started by Martinus, November 03, 2016, 05:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

What are some of the common behaviours, customs and habits of your fellow nationals that you are embarassed about?

For Poles: clapping when their plane hits the tarmac. This is (thankfully) much less common on scheduled flights, but on charter flights, especially tourist ones, it is almost ubiquitous - apparently Poles consider it a great achievement for a pilot to land the plane safely and applause.  :Embarrass:

Brazen

It's an unwritten rule that when someone drops a tray of drinks in a pub a loud cheer, round of applause and calls of "Sack the juggler!" occur.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on November 03, 2016, 05:16:32 AM
What are some of the common behaviours, customs and habits of your fellow nationals that you are embarassed about?

For Poles: clapping when their plane hits the tarmac. This is (thankfully) much less common on scheduled flights, but on charter flights, especially tourist ones, it is almost ubiquitous - apparently Poles consider it a great achievement for a pilot to land the plane safely and applause.  :Embarrass:

Well, that's more a poor reflection on the Polish pilots than on the Polish passengers.

Syt

Only flight I experienced that was to and from Thessaloniki where the Greeks all applauded.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I have been on US planes that did that when the landing was unusually rocky.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Naming our francophone children using Anglophones nicknames.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2016, 01:35:06 PM
I have been on US planes that did that when the landing was unusually rocky.

My cousin, who has a fear of flying to begin with, was on a particularly rough flight (multiple aborted landings) and waited for the pilot to give hi a hug :lol:  the more entertaining part is that he's the stoic unemotional type.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Celebrating ignorance and considering thoughtfulness weak and effeminate. But since the invention of the internet I notice that is not nearly as culturally unique as I once thought.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 03, 2016, 02:21:32 PM
NASCAR.
I saw a race on the Telladega Superspeedway in 2014 and loved it. Probably one of the most American experiences I've had.  :alberta:

Zanza

My countrymen occasionally commit genocides and start world wars. That's a bit awkward.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Argentines do that when they land at JFK.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall