News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where do you *feel* you stand in society?

Started by Syt, November 03, 2016, 03:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lower Class, Left of Center
3 (4.9%)
Lower class, Center
3 (4.9%)
Lower Class, Right of Center
6 (9.8%)
Middle Class, Left of Center
21 (34.4%)
Middle Class, Center
11 (18%)
Middle Class, Right of Center
9 (14.8%)
Upper Class, Left of Center
2 (3.3%)
Upper Class, Center
3 (4.9%)
Upper Class, Right of Center
1 (1.6%)
I have no class (Jaron Option).
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2016, 10:03:50 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 09:36:20 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2016, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 06:44:53 AM
First of all, if you have to work/run a business to make a living, you are not upper class.

Nah, I think that is the dividing line between wealthy and not wealthy, not middle and upper class.

For example, the CTO at M&T makes $550k/year or more. That is most definitely upper class, but not necessarily independently wealthy.

Somebody who has a job and a boss is a different category from those who are independently wealthy. Sure, he is a stinking rich white collar worker, but he is not upper class.

You are seriously arguing that someone with a half million plus yearly income is not "upper class"?

What about the President of M&T, probably pulls in several million a year? Not upper class since he actually works?

Steve Jobs was not upper class, because he worked for a living?

Bill Gates while he was running Microsoft and worth literally billions? Not upper class?

OR you could read what Tampax wrote.

Many people who work don't have to work for a living.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The class divisions traditionally used simply do not fit modern society very well. In the traditional divisions, a person who worked for a salary (however wealthy) would be "middle class", same as any person working a white-collar office job.

However, in the modern world, the person working a white-collar office job could well be some sort of contract worker devoid of job security or benefits, while another "working on salary" could be part of a managerial elite making millions who could easily move from one position to another, show up on a board of directors somewhere. It is odd to think of them as in the same class.

I think of modern classes as follows:

- Underclass. Exist on welfare, criminality, odd jobs.

- Have-nots. Work on salary, but lack anything like job security; benefits are limited. Low bargaining power. Example of a group traditionally considered "middle class" or even "upper middle class" that are now "have-nots": Many university employees who are not tenured, work on contract, and have limited benefits (they used to be infinitely higher class than, say, a plumber). Others are the afore-mentioned contract office worker. Many in the former "middle class" are being thrust into this category and are not enjoying that very much. 

- Haves. Most work on salary to be sure, but have connections, skills, or opportunities that increase their bargaining power to the point they are able to get, at the lower end, permanent employment with good benefits and automatic job security (that is, can walk out of one job knowing they can find another easily based on skills and connections), and at the upper end, equity stakes in businesses (like massive stock options and the like). Also, owners of successful small businesses, no matter how menial: your successful plumber goes here.  Some in the former middle class (or even "working class") are rising into this category.

- The super-wealthy. Celebrities, owners of large businesses; at the upper end, billionaires who could buy small countries.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2016, 10:05:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2016, 10:03:50 AM
First of all, if you have to work/run a business to make a living, you are not upper class.

Nah, I think that is the dividing line between wealthy and not wealthy, not middle and upper class.

For example, the CTO at M&T makes $550k/year or more. That is most definitely upper class, but not necessarily independently wealthy.

Somebody who has a job and a boss is a different category from those who are independently wealthy. Sure, he is a stinking rich white collar worker, but he is not upper class.

You are seriously arguing that someone with a half million plus yearly income is not "upper class"?

What about the President of M&T, probably pulls in several million a year? Not upper class since he actually works?

Steve Jobs was not upper class, because he worked for a living?

Bill Gates while he was running Microsoft and worth literally billions? Not upper class?

OR you could read what Tampax wrote.

Many people who work don't have to work for a living.

SO the key is whether you "have to" work?

So if you are willing to survive on welfare, you are upper class?

If your parents left you a couple hundred thousand dollars, and you are content to live on the $15,000/year in interest that gives you, you are "upper class"?

But if you have a lavish lifestyle requiring a million a year to support, and you make a million a year to support it, you are NOT upper class, because you are required to work to support the lifestyle you choose?

None of that makes any sense. This idea that "upper class" is defined as the wealthy non-working pretty much disappeared about a hundred years ago or so in western society.

Executives in large companies are upper class in American society at least, whether they "have to work" or not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

You treat this as a purely financial bracketing system. But there is nothing to debate there then. Just define the values of annual income and there you go.
I was looking at the social angle of it.

One thing is true though: there are no clear-cut boundaries. Your CTO can sure mingle with the upper class and where you put him is purely a subjective matter.
Similar examples could be made for the lower ends.

I like Malthus' system, all in all.

Hamilcar

The cutoff is whether you need a job at all.

derspiess

Well then we have quite a few upper class folks on welfare :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hamilcar

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2016, 12:47:56 PM
Well then we have quite a few upper class folks on welfare :P

*sigh*

If you have to work for your 1% lifestyle, then you're not upper class.

Savonarola

Middle Class, Moderate

The last time I took the I Side With quiz I ended up as a centrist (as I usually do) but the candidate most similar to my views was Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist Party.  In America the only moderates are kooks.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Hamilcar

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2016, 12:51:52 PM
Middle Class, Moderate

The last time I took the I Side With quiz I ended up as a centrist (as I usually do) but the candidate most similar to my views was Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist Party.  In America the only moderates are kooks.   :(

You can still vote for Zoltan!  :cool:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on November 03, 2016, 03:26:52 AM

Just your gut feeling; i.e. without looking at where your income/net worth falls, or measuring your political opinions.

But I'm sitting down, not standing. :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 04, 2016, 12:53:40 PM
Middle Class, Moderate

You can still vote for Zoltan!  :cool:

The only candidate who promises to bring us Back to Methuselah. :thumbsup:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Middle Class, Moderate

That is awesome.  Make America (whatever Transhumanists believe) Again.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hamilcar

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2016, 02:18:35 PM
Middle Class, Moderate

That is awesome.  Make America (whatever Transhumanists believe) Again.

Everyone has the right to live as an immortal hyperrobot.

Martinus

Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist Party is my favourite candidate. Mainly because Augustus Sol Invictus does not run for the President.  :lol:

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"