News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where do you *feel* you stand in society?

Started by Syt, November 03, 2016, 03:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you *feel* you stand in society?

Lower Class, Left of Center
3 (4.9%)
Lower class, Center
3 (4.9%)
Lower Class, Right of Center
6 (9.8%)
Middle Class, Left of Center
21 (34.4%)
Middle Class, Center
11 (18%)
Middle Class, Right of Center
9 (14.8%)
Upper Class, Left of Center
2 (3.3%)
Upper Class, Center
3 (4.9%)
Upper Class, Right of Center
1 (1.6%)
I have no class (Jaron Option).
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Gups

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 03, 2016, 10:09:57 AM
Upper class, center.  :bowler:

Nobody who was truly upper class would ever describe themselves as such.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 03, 2016, 10:22:41 AM
Not everyone is as coy as the English.

It's not a matter of disposition, it's a matter of breeding.

KRonn

Middle class, right of center. Right fiscally, more left or center socially. I think I consider myself middle class, though now I'm retired so my "class" might fall a bit.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I notice (though I'm not surprised) that most feel they're middle class, and looking at lifestyle this will certainly hold true. At the same time I'm guessing that depending on metrics (income, net worth or similar) a lot of us would fall in the top 10-15 % in their countries
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2016, 04:43:49 AM
I notice (though I'm not surprised) that most feel they're middle class, and looking at lifestyle this will certainly hold true. At the same time I'm guessing that depending on metrics (income, net worth or similar) a lot of us would fall in the top 10-15 % in their countries

Which in most cases is middle class.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2016, 04:47:31 AM

Which in most cases is middle class.

Yeah being upper class is a pretty niche space.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

First of all, if you have to work/run a business to make a living, you are not upper class.

Berkut

I suspect I am in the top-10% for household income, but I don't consider that upper class at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 06:44:53 AM
First of all, if you have to work/run a business to make a living, you are not upper class.

Nah, I think that is the dividing line between wealthy and not wealthy, not middle and upper class.

For example, the CTO at M&T makes $550k/year or more. That is most definitely upper class, but not necessarily independently wealthy.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2016, 09:25:22 AM

Nah, I think that is the dividing line between wealthy and not wealthy, not middle and upper class.

For example, the CTO at M&T makes $550k/year or more. That is most definitely upper class, but not necessarily independently wealthy.

Somebody who has a job and a boss is a different category from those who are independently wealthy. Sure, he is a stinking rich white collar worker, but he is not upper class.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 09:36:20 AM

Somebody who has a job and a boss is a different category from those who are independently wealthy. Sure, he is a stinking rich white collar worker, but he is not upper class.

You are seriously arguing that someone with a half million plus yearly income is not "upper class"?

What about the President of M&T, probably pulls in several million a year? Not upper class since he actually works?

Steve Jobs was not upper class, because he worked for a living?

Bill Gates while he was running Microsoft and worth literally billions? Not upper class?

0 rows returned

Berkut

I think you've been watching too much Downton Abbey.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2016, 09:36:20 AM

Tamas, stop putting the Independently wealthy in the Upper class category. They are 1 higher.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.