Where do you *feel* you stand in society?

Started by Syt, November 03, 2016, 03:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where do you *feel* you stand in society?

Lower Class, Left of Center
3 (4.9%)
Lower class, Center
3 (4.9%)
Lower Class, Right of Center
6 (9.8%)
Middle Class, Left of Center
21 (34.4%)
Middle Class, Center
11 (18%)
Middle Class, Right of Center
9 (14.8%)
Upper Class, Left of Center
2 (3.3%)
Upper Class, Center
3 (4.9%)
Upper Class, Right of Center
1 (1.6%)
I have no class (Jaron Option).
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Hamilcar

Quote from: Siege on November 04, 2016, 05:15:39 PM
Lowest of the lowest.
Right of center.

Siege is a data point adding to the sum total showing that intelligence is highly correlated to success in life.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on November 04, 2016, 03:36:27 PM
Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist Party is my favourite candidate. Mainly because Augustus Sol Invictus does not run for the President.  :lol:

Transhumanists >>> libertarians.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 04, 2016, 05:19:33 PM
Zoltan Istvan of the Transhumanist Party is my favourite candidate. Mainly because Augustus Sol Invictus does not run for the President.  :lol:

Transhumanists >>> libertarians.

Airline pilots who fall asleep at work >>> Transhumanists >>> libertarians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Better Call Sol

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 04, 2016, 12:50:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2016, 12:47:56 PM
Well then we have quite a few upper class folks on welfare :P

*sigh*

If you have to work for your 1% lifestyle, then you're not upper class.

what about a person who earns in the top 1% but spends like he is middle class   :whistle:

Eddie Teach

The middle class typically don't spend a thousand dollars a month at the butcher.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2016, 08:55:44 PM
The middle class typically don't spend a thousand dollars a month at the butcher.

Indeed!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2016, 10:22:30 AM

SO the key is whether you "have to" work?

So if you are willing to survive on welfare, you are upper class?

If your parents left you a couple hundred thousand dollars, and you are content to live on the $15,000/year in interest that gives you, you are "upper class"?

But if you have a lavish lifestyle requiring a million a year to support, and you make a million a year to support it, you are NOT upper class, because you are required to work to support the lifestyle you choose?

None of that makes any sense. This idea that "upper class" is defined as the wealthy non-working pretty much disappeared about a hundred years ago or so in western society.

Executives in large companies are upper class in American society at least, whether they "have to work" or not.

Yes, the traditional diving lines are:

Upper class: you don't have to work - you have enough wealth that work is optional.  You can afford luxuries.

Middle class:  you have to work, but can afford some luxuries

Lower class:  have to work, but your income goes almost entirely towards necessities.

I agree with Malthus that the traditional dividing lines don't work very well with modern societies, with all the wealth transfer mechanisms.  But, if you are going to use terms like "upper class," then you have to go with the definitions of those terms, even if you don't always agree with them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 04, 2016, 08:55:44 PM

True, but with children leaving the CC nest we no longer consume those amounts much to the despair of my butcher.  :cry:

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on November 05, 2016, 07:55:56 AM
Quote from: Berkut on November 04, 2016, 10:22:30 AM

SO the key is whether you "have to" work?

So if you are willing to survive on welfare, you are upper class?

If your parents left you a couple hundred thousand dollars, and you are content to live on the $15,000/year in interest that gives you, you are "upper class"?

But if you have a lavish lifestyle requiring a million a year to support, and you make a million a year to support it, you are NOT upper class, because you are required to work to support the lifestyle you choose?

None of that makes any sense. This idea that "upper class" is defined as the wealthy non-working pretty much disappeared about a hundred years ago or so in western society.

Executives in large companies are upper class in American society at least, whether they "have to work" or not.

Yes, the traditional diving lines are:

Upper class: you don't have to work - you have enough wealth that work is optional.  You can afford luxuries.

Middle class:  you have to work, but can afford some luxuries

Lower class:  have to work, but your income goes almost entirely towards necessities.

I agree with Malthus that the traditional dividing lines don't work very well with modern societies, with all the wealth transfer mechanisms.  But, if you are going to use terms like "upper class," then you have to go with the definitions of those terms, even if you don't always agree with them.

Yup.

The problem with discussions of class divisions is that they are typically attempting somewhat incoherently to stitch together at least three different sets of definitions:

1. The traditional class structure, as you outlined, but also includes other even older concepts like the inherent class dignity of educated work (thus a university professor is always middle class, while a plumber could be "working class" even if he earns the same as the prof.).

2. Relative income ("the 1%" = earning more than 99% of persons in the country).

3. Notions of relative prospects, which is what my preferred system is based on.

These definitions are in conflict in many cases.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

I think it also varies greatly on a country by country basis.

For example in Poland it has traditionally been based much more heavily on something called "cultural capital" than on financial things. This has been changing somewhat since the fall of communism, but generally your home book shelf and whether you have a piano probably tells more about your social class than your bank account.

That is why you can have something like "an impoverished upper class" - something that would be a contradiction in terms under the grumbler's definition.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 11:16:32 AM

For example in Poland it has traditionally been based much more heavily on something called "cultural capital" than on financial things. This has been changing somewhat since the fall of communism, but generally your home book shelf and whether you have a piano probably tells more about your social class than your bank account.

That is why you can have something like "an impoverished upper class" - something that would be a contradiction in terms under the grumbler's definition.

Yup, and even older (here) notion of class. Which still exists to an extent in Canada.

Goes something like this:

- Oldest: class based on dignity of descent. Your parents came from nobility, makes you a noble even if you are an uneducated clod with no money. That hardly exists at all here.

- Newer: class based on dignity of education, manners, and tastes: still used (a remnant of that is statements like "His knowledge of art and music made him very classy").

- Newer still: class based on the dignity of certain kinds of work - using one's education rather than one's hands. The university prof makes the same as the plumber, but is considered higher class. 

These are all somewhat related (the nobility was thought to have the time to cultivate "good taste" and education in manners etc.)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2016, 11:16:32 AM

Argentina's a bit like that.  With the addition that a good family name still counts for something in some circles.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

The basics seem fairly simple.

Working class - a blue/pink collar family.
Middle class - a white collar family.
Upper class - aristocrats and, these days albeit not traditionally, the really big CEOs and celebrities.

So yes. This does mean a lot of working class people are actually richer than middle class people.

The main confusion comes when you get people of working class background doing well for themselves in middle and upper class roles.
██████
██████
██████