SPLC idiocy: labels Maajid Nawaz & Ayaan Hirsi Ali Anti-muslim Extremists

Started by Hamilcar, October 30, 2016, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 12:50:17 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 01, 2016, 11:35:36 AM
Do not make the error of taking Raz's quote mining as some kind of representation of her position as it stands now (and it has changed over time, as thoughtful people positions do...)

She's on the record multiple times saying Muslim schools should be shut down.  Very emphatically.
I suppose the one nuance is that the position developed in the context of the Dutch educational system, which has some weird hybrid public/parochial school setup.

ALL religious schools should be shut down. Starting with Muslim madrassas schools makes sense.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 01, 2016, 04:23:45 PM
ALL religious schools should be shut down. Starting with Muslim madrassas schools makes sense.

We have like freedom here and stuff so no that doesn't work.
We'll just have the stick with the old fashioned battle of ideas in the place of censorship, although apparently without much useful help from the SPLC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Valmy

I am not really sure how I feel about that. On one hand this is a private organization that can have any codes of conduct it wants but holy shit talk about a beat down. He even had to visit a few mosques as penance and he did not even do the mocking. Or maybe he visited the Mosques on its own. Hard to tell the article is pretty vague on the details, it even implies the ban also included other breaches of conduct.

Damn glad they didn't have that shit around or Monty Python would have been banned and forced to visit a few cathedrals to repent for mocking the Spanish Inquisition. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2016, 07:25:31 AM
Hard to tell the article is pretty vague on the details, it even implies the ban also included other breaches of conduct.

I think article is pretty clear that it wasn't just about this one instance. Hard for M to read more than a headline though.

QuoteBritish Gymnastics said Smith's ban was a "cumulative penalty" because of a previous breach of its rules on conduct.

He was reprimanded in June for posting an image on social media of an American gymnast, who was 16 when the photograph was taken, accompanied by a comment British Gymnastics said was "unbefitting to a participant".

In April, he apologised for questioning the judging at the British Championships, where he was beaten to pommel gold by Max Whitlock.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

You can't expect me to read every article. It's hard enough to copy a link from Facebook and post it here with a pithy comment while on my mobile. :P

Edit: I guess I shouldn't always trust Maajid Nawaz's judgement.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 01, 2016, 04:22:31 PM

Maajid Nawaz is literally the person who coined the term "regressive left"

Oh, in that case he should probably be shot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Well, you can't do a better job of proving that there is such a thing as the "regressive left" than to define a moderate Muslim calling for reform of Islam into a system that is compatible with Western ethical and social norms a "anti-Muslim extremist" and demand that they be muzzled!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2016, 09:55:19 AM

I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 02, 2016, 10:35:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 02, 2016, 09:55:19 AM

I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements.

I have no fucking idea what you are on about.  I made a joke.  "Regressive left", is one of those annoying things that Marty was on about for the last two months.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Hamilcar

I reserve the right to mock Islam as much as any other delusion about the nature of the universe and the "divine" authorship of certain books.

Razgovory

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 01, 2016, 04:39:28 PM
We'll just have the stick with the old fashioned battle of ideas in the place of censorship, although apparently without much useful help from the SPLC.
With religion controlling education, there is no such place for old fashioned battle ideas.  No more than in 17th century Salem, at least.  No more than 1950's Quebec with an official department of censorship to protect our freedom.

might it be that we have gone too far on the other side and now favor a system where such draconian measures are coming back, discretly, slowly, but with no uncertainty?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 02, 2016, 01:03:20 PM
I reserve the right to mock Islamany religion as much as any other delusion about the nature of the universe and the "divine" authorship of certain books.
That's better.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".