SPLC idiocy: labels Maajid Nawaz & Ayaan Hirsi Ali Anti-muslim Extremists

Started by Hamilcar, October 30, 2016, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2016, 02:33:11 PM
Yes they are. They said what he believed was anti-Muslim. Ergo his version of being a Muslim was anti-Islam, and thus opposed to what they consider true Islam. They are making a 100% theological judgement.

:rolleyes:  Like logic has anything to do with clickbaiting.  Controversy = press.  Press = donations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

So he was not labelled anti-Muslim then? So the entire article was a lie? Interesting.

From time to time, you let your Texan show.

QuoteThey said what he believed was anti-Muslim.

Link, plz.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Yes they are. They said what he believed was anti-Muslim. Ergo his version of being a Muslim was anti-Islam, and thus opposed to what they consider true Islam. They are making a 100% theological judgement.

Blowing up a mosque or beating up Muslims are not theological judgements. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2016, 03:48:13 PM

Blowing up a mosque or beating up Muslims are not theological judgements.

Wait.. what?  Since when is the SPLC "Blowing up a mosque or beating up Muslims?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I guess it would be silly to actually look at the SPLC website.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 30, 2016, 04:17:07 PM
I guess it would be silly to actually look at the SPLC website.

If they're busy making lists of anti-Islamic extremists you're probably right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 30, 2016, 05:27:23 PM
If they're busy making lists of anti-Islamic extremists you're probably right.

And if the site had evidence relative to the debate, one of its supporters would presumably have introduced it here by now.  Given that we have been told it is silly to look at it, I am presuming that it lacks any serious evidence, and we have enough silly evidence in the thread all ready.  We don't need help there.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Oh, I checked, they have written why they put him on the list.  Trying to get Grumbler to integrate new information has always been a fool's errand, though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

grumbler's too sharp to let himself get ensnared by Google's metadata aggregation games, no sirree.  You're not going to catch him that way.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 05:58:08 PM
grumbler's too sharp to let himself get ensnared by Google's metadata aggregation games, no sirree.  You're not going to catch him that way.

Turns out that Yi's link to the Atlantic article contained all of the "evidence" that the SPLC had to declare Nawaz an extremist: 
(1) he sent a list of Muslim organizations to some un-named "top British security official" in 2010
(2) he argued that "It is not only reasonable, but our duty to insist individuals remove the veil when they enter identity-sensitive environments such as banks, airports, courts and schools."
(3) he tweeted a "cartoon of Jesus and Muhammad" (obviously an anti_Christian extremist, too)
(4) he once visited a strip club.

That's it.  That's all you have to do to be an extremist in the SPLC's eyes. 

Of course, Raz would have used that evidence if he'd actually been interested in making an intellectual argument instead of deploying his favored ad hominem fallacy.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

https://www.splcenter.org/20161025/field-guide-anti-muslim-extremists#nawaz

The SPLC site doesn't go much past what was in the buzzfeed article.

My verdict: SPLC really fucked up.  And their write up makes it sound personal.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2016, 06:15:16 PM
My verdict: SPLC really fucked up.  And their write up makes it sound personal.

Reads to me like they're calling out a shameless self-promoter that uses his media access to grind his personal axe.   

I mean, hey, I get it: it's the cool thing to hate on dune coons these days, and supporting dune coons that hate other dune coons justifies and mainstreams dune coon hatred so everyone can feel better about it--but I didn't think you guys would be such fans of a marginal Brit Muslim version of Milo Yiannopoulos. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 06:39:10 PM
Reads to me like they're calling out a shameless self-promoter that uses his media access to grind his personal axe.   

Then perhaps they should have included him in their Media Guide to People We Just Don't Like.