SPLC idiocy: labels Maajid Nawaz & Ayaan Hirsi Ali Anti-muslim Extremists

Started by Hamilcar, October 30, 2016, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2016, 06:45:48 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 06:39:10 PM
Reads to me like they're calling out a shameless self-promoter that uses his media access to grind his personal axe.   

Then perhaps they should have included him in their Media Guide to People We Just Don't Like.

Bet you're a big Mark Burns fan, too.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 06:14:11 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 05:58:08 PM
grumbler's too sharp to let himself get ensnared by Google's metadata aggregation games, no sirree.  You're not going to catch him that way.

Turns out that Yi's link to the Atlantic article contained all of the "evidence" that the SPLC had to declare Nawaz an extremist: 
(1) he sent a list of Muslim organizations to some un-named "top British security official" in 2010
(2) he argued that "It is not only reasonable, but our duty to insist individuals remove the veil when they enter identity-sensitive environments such as banks, airports, courts and schools."
(3) he tweeted a "cartoon of Jesus and Muhammad" (obviously an anti_Christian extremist, too)
(4) he once visited a strip club.

That's it.  That's all you have to do to be an extremist in the SPLC's eyes. 

Of course, Raz would have used that evidence if he'd actually been interested in making an intellectual argument instead of deploying his favored ad hominem fallacy.

I never expressed an interest in making an intellectual argument.  I mean, what's the point when you're here presuming things?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Reads to me like they're calling out a shameless self-promoter that uses his media access to grind his personal axe.   

Exactly.  They were fucking incompetent to leave out the other two million shameless self-promoters using their media access to grind their personal axes, though.  I mean, naming all two million-plus anti-Muslim extremists would make for an unwieldy book, but its all in a good cause, amirite?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2016, 06:15:16 PM
My verdict: SPLC really fucked up.  And their write up makes it sound personal.

I mean, hey, I get it: it's the cool thing to hate on dune coons these days, and supporting dune coons that hate other dune coons justifies and mainstreams dune coon hatred so everyone can feel better about it--but I didn't think you guys would be such fans of a marginal Brit Muslim version of Milo Yiannopoulos.

:huh:

This guy is pretty far removed from that, he works for a foundation, which is partially funded by the UK government and he regularly appears on all UK news channels, generally giving moderate, considered opinions.

Now you may not agree with his viewpoint, but in no way is he one of these hyper-media personality.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 07:21:40 PM
They were fucking incompetent to leave out the other two million shameless self-promoters using their media access to grind their personal axes, though.  I mean, naming all two million-plus anti-Muslim extremists would make for an unwieldy book, but its all in a good cause, amirite?

Yes, I could see how that would offend your completionist sensibilities. It's all 2M or nothing!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 30, 2016, 07:43:59 PM
This guy is pretty far removed from that, he works for a foundation, which is partially funded by the UK government and he regularly appears on all UK news channels, generally giving moderate, considered opinions.

Now you may not agree with his viewpoint, but in no way is he one of these hyper-media personality.

I do not agree with your viewpoint. He's a polemical fearmonger.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

The Southern Poverty Law Center probably isn't even poor.  What's that all about?

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 07:47:41 PM
Yes, I could see how that would offend your completionist sensibilities. It's all 2M or nothing!

Well, I think it is extremely anti-Muslim to single out the one Muslim shameless self-promoter that uses his media access to grind his personal axe, when there are two million non-Muslims just like him.  But no one is arguing, I don't think, that the SPLC isn't extremely anti-Muslim.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 07:53:00 PM
I do not agree with your viewpoint. He's a polemical fearmonger.

Well, duh!  He went to a titty bar, didn't he?  So did some of the 9/11 hijackers.   How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh?

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 08:07:36 PM
Well, duh!  He went to a titty bar, didn't he?  So did some of the 9/11 hijackers.   How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh?

I really don't see what you're trying to prove by continually bringing up working single moms.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 08:23:20 PM

I really don't see what you're trying to prove by continually bringing up working single moms.

Ask your buds at the SPLC.  They are the ones using one presence at a titty bar as evidence of anti-Muslim extremism.  Personally, I wish those strippers worked out of home.

My home.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 08:58:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 08:23:20 PM

Ask your buds at the SPLC.  They are the ones using one presence at a titty bar as evidence of anti-Muslim extremism.  Personally, I wish those strippers worked out of home.

My home.

Your 1975 Zenith TV would get stolen.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2016, 08:59:58 PM
Your 1975 Zenith TV would get stolen.

That would be so great!  The dump wants me to give them $20 just to take it.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 08:58:05 PM
They are the ones using one presence at a titty bar as evidence of anti-Muslim extremism.

He's a polemical dancemonger.