SPLC idiocy: labels Maajid Nawaz & Ayaan Hirsi Ali Anti-muslim Extremists

Started by Hamilcar, October 30, 2016, 04:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2016, 12:54:52 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/10/maajid-nawaz-splc-anti-muslim-extremist/505685/

An article I found helpful in evaluating the charge against Nawaz.

Thanks for that.  It does seem like very weak sauce indeed (going to a strip club makes one an "anti-Muslim extremist" now), but the SPLC needs the press, so this is a good thing for them, I guess.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 01:17:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 30, 2016, 12:54:52 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/10/maajid-nawaz-splc-anti-muslim-extremist/505685/

An article I found helpful in evaluating the charge against Nawaz.

Thanks for that.  It does seem like very weak sauce indeed (going to a strip club makes one an "anti-Muslim extremist" now), but the SPLC needs the press, so this is a good thing for them, I guess.

Ditto, thanks for the link. The problem is that calling someone an "extremist" does get you attention, so there's incentive to call more and more people "extremist" (or racist, homophobe, islamophobe, sexist etc), devaluing the charge with each frivolous use. Harsh words are like antibiotics, the more you use them, the less they work in the future.

Personally, I now immediately discount terms like racist, sexist etc and form my own opinion using further data later on.... if I care sufficiently.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 30, 2016, 01:17:52 PM
but the SPLC needs the press, so this is a good thing for them, I guess.

Meh, pretty sure they're got their hands full with enough creepy ass crackers as it is.

mongers

Rightly or wrongly this guy is regarded by some as a government stooge, I guess that might have influenced the report writer/pigeon-holer.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Is it really the business of the SPLC to define theological views? Do they also label certain Christian groups heretical? Seems a bit out of their purview.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2016, 02:17:33 PM
Is it really the business of the SPLC to define theological views? Do they also label certain Christian groups heretical? Seems a bit out of their purview.

They're not defining theological views.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 02:20:19 PM

Sure. They are saying which Muslims are true Muslims and which Muslims are in actuality anti to true Islam. That seems like a matter best left to theologians. I mean how else can a Muslim be labelled 'anti-Muslim' unless you have some kind of theological definition of a true Muslim?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2016, 02:21:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 02:20:19 PM

Sure. They are saying which Muslims are true Muslims and which Muslims are in actuality anti to true Islam. That seems like a matter best left to theologians.

No, they aren't saying that at all. 

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 02:22:45 PM

Either they are saying that or this Maajid Nawaz guy is lying when says he is a 'reform Muslim'. One of the two must be true, because they both cannot be.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2016, 02:24:22 PM

Either they are saying that or this Maajid Nawaz guy is lying when says he is a 'reform Muslim'. One of the two must be true, because they both cannot be.

No, they are not either saying that or saying he is lying.

Admiral Yi

"I am a reform Muslim" was a statement made in rebuttal to the accusation that he is anti-Muslim.  SPLC is not saying whether he is a true Muslim or not.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 02:27:33 PM

So he was not labelled anti-Muslim then? So the entire article was a lie? Interesting.

Quote"I am a reform Muslim" was a statement made in rebuttal to the accusation that he is anti-Muslim.  SPLC is not saying whether he is a true Muslim or not.

Yes they are. They said what he believed was anti-Muslim. Ergo his version of being a Muslim was anti-Islam, and thus opposed to what they consider true Islam. They are making a 100% theological judgement.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2016, 02:27:33 PM

Yeah, I don't know Valmy came to the conclusion that one cannot be a devout Muslim and an extreme anti-Muslim at the same time.  Islam and Islam have nothing to do with each other.  You can oppose Islam without being against Islam.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!