Detroit thread. Post Kwame, Monica, and $1 houses here.

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2009, 10:53:28 AM

Best one:

i went there this past weekend and it was pretty much like that LOL

It was also scary being the ONLY white person inside of the mall. Im not a racist person, but I knew that I was not wanted there. I got so many bad looks from people.

:D

That's probably just a story.  There are no malls in the city of Detroit.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2009, 10:56:32 AM

Best one:

It was also scary being the ONLY white person inside of the mall. Im not a racist person, but I knew that I was not wanted there. I got so many bad looks from people.

WHERE WILL YOU PEOPLE GET YOUR CINNABONS AT?

I'll pray for you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2009, 10:57:35 AM

I'll pray for you.

The white devil has stolen all the Cinnabons and keeps them in the suburbs.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2009, 11:03:27 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2009, 10:57:35 AM

I'll pray for you.

The white devil has stolen all the Cinnabons and keeps them in the suburbs.

40 acres and an Orange Julius!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 20, 2009, 10:59:26 AM
What's the murder rate in Baghdad?

Don't know; but last year more victims of homicide in Detroit than there were US Soldier killed in Iraq.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 20, 2009, 11:07:59 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 15, 2009, 09:23:06 AM

four big stuff

:huh:

I don't know that much about the slang of the period, but I would assume "Big stuff Klansmen" were important or ranking klansmen.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Even Obama has turned on us  :(

QuoteDetroiters feel the sting that Obama chose Warren instead
Charlie LeDuff / The Detroit News
Detroit

This past Saturday, President Barack Obama addressed the Ghanaian parliament, extending America's hand to the African continent while condemning corruption and tyranny.

"No country is going to create wealth if its leaders exploit the economy to enrich themselves," he said.
He could have been talking about Detroit. And when he came to Metro Detroit on Tuesday, Obama conspicuously did not set foot in the city -- the nation's largest black urban center plagued by corruption, illiteracy and crime. Detroit, it seems, is less Ghana and more gangrene in the national political consciousness. And with the presidential snub, Obama appears to have fanned the feelings of hopelessness and isolation in the city.

"We're black and he got our vote quite frankly because many of us voted for him because he is black," said Karsem McCurtis on Tuesday, whose family owns Conner's Food, just a stone's throw from the Wayne County Community College campus on Detroit's east side. As it happened, Obama chose Macomb Community College in Warren to unveil a national education initiative.

"It would have been good for him to come," said McCurtis, whose building is painted with an Obama mural. "But he's got our vote locked up, and he's not going to get much play coming to a black city full of corrupt politicians."

McCurtis makes the obvious point about a city that has become the nation's punch line: Kwame Kilpatrick, Monica Conyers, school officials stealing millions from the children, a murder rate that tops the nation, an illiteracy rate of 50 percent and tens of thousands of crumbling buildings. The list goes on.

The White House said it had no comment as to the reason for the president's fly-by of Detroit on his first trip to the state since his election, except to say that he wishes he could have spent the whole day in Michigan.

"I have to say I'm disappointed," said Jerome Smith, an unemployed machinist from Detroit, who was standing at the bus stop at Macomb Community College as the president's motorcade arrived. "Have you seen him rub shoulders with blacks in this country? On the international stage, yes. South of Eight Mile, no."

The president will address the national convention of the NAACP this Friday. It will be his first speech to a predominately African-American audience since taking office.

Obama won 97 percent of the vote in Detroit, totaling more than 325,000 votes. In Macomb County, he took 53 percent, totaling just less than 224,000. That is a difference of 100,000 votes, but still Detroit was not important enough to visit.

Macomb County -- 90 percent white and 40 percent Catholic -- is the one-time home of the famed Reagan Democrats, the working-class whites who famously flipped for Ronald Reagan in the 1980s, based in part on his appeal to their racial grievances.

Obama has neatly sidestepped the issue of race so far, blaming global trade and greedy CEOs as the cause of the sliding middle class way of life.

It is this large group of white voters that Obama must maintain if he is to push through his ambitious plans for health care reform, renewable energy and perhaps a second stimulus package.

"It's the white swing voter he's after," said Adolph Mongo, the brass-knuckled political consultant based in Detroit. "His people are telling him that Macomb County is the major player in Michigan. He snubbed the largest population of black folks in America. He's making a big mistake. He needs to come to Detroit and reassure people that what he's pushing is going to help everybody."

"It was a huge snub," said L. Brooks Patterson, the Republican Oakland County executive. "Why would he want to get near Detroit considering the awful national publicity over the past few years?"

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing said Obama has an open invitation. "Although he has not visited the city as president, it is important to note Mr. Obama has been working hard with Mayor Bing on behalf of the residents of the city," Bing said in a statement.

In the meantime, Detroit continues to empty out. Paulette Bouyer, the gun-toting church lady who was featured in these pages in January after her west-side home was broken into during broad daylight, is moving to Patterson's Oakland County. "The president can't wave a magic wand and make Detroit all right," Bouyer said. "The people have to demand more than thievery from their politicians. But you wish he would have come here for 10 minutes."

Warren is one of Detroit's largest suburbs and has almost no black population.  In the late 60s Secretary of HUD (and former Michigan Governor) George Romney, denied the city federal housing funds for doing nothing to make public housing available to blacks. 

There really wouldn't have been a good venue for that speech in Detroit; the community college in the city is tiny.  Regardless the punditry gave me a chuckle.   :)

Caliga

Why would he go out of his way to appeal to black voters?  They voted for him in 2008 simply due to his skin color, and unless the GOP picks a black candidate in 2012 to run against him, they'll all do so again.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on July 22, 2009, 07:21:43 AM
Why would he go out of his way to appeal to black voters?  They voted for him in 2008 simply due to his skin color, and unless the GOP picks a black candidate in 2012 to run against him, they'll all do so again.

I don't think the danger is them voting GOP. The danger is them staying home.

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on July 20, 2009, 10:56:32 AM

Best one:

There are no major grocery store chains there, either.

swallow

Is that a picture of yours, in your avatar, Charliebear?