Detroit thread. Post Kwame, Monica, and $1 houses here.

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 17, 2009, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I wish every week could be audit week  :)

QuoteDetroit parking agency blasted in city audit
Mismanagement has led to lack of control over revenues, it says
BY ZACHARY GORCHOW and NAOMI R. PATTON • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS • April 23, 2009
Chronic mismanagement of Detroit's Municipal Parking Department has led to a lack of control over the $30 million that the city's parking meters and garages collect, according to a scathing report from the city's auditor general.

The report showed startling swings in the revenue generated by city garages, with some facilities fluctuating by as much as $111,000 from month to month.

Department officials also were unable to explain to auditors why the Ford Underground Garage -- a busy facility beneath East Jefferson Avenue that serves the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center -- reported no revenue for several months.

The parking department audit, like two others for separate departments submitted to the City Council this week by Auditor General Loren Monroe, catalogs violations of city policy on the use of petty cash and a lack of safeguards of public money.

Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel, whose Budget, Finance and Audit Committee is to review the audits, said the parking department has suffered from a "fundamental breakdown in process and procedure," saying any department "over time will stop functioning" without adhering to departmental policies.

All of the audits examined conduct that occurred between 2006 and September or October 2008 -- when former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick was still in office. Mayor Ken Cockrel Jr. took office Sept. 19.

Officials with the Municipal Parking Department failed to verify the revenues reported by the private firm that manages parking for Cobo Center and Joe Louis Arena and thought they lacked the power to audit those contracts, when in fact they do have that power.
The problems were so serious that Monroe recommended reorganizing the department by either having a company lease the parking facilities from the city, or moving some of the department's functions into other agencies.

The parking facilities are now managed by private firms that collect the revenue for the city.
In response, parking Director Shawny DeBerry said some of the departmental issues identified in the audit were "not necessarily accurate," but "MPD will uphold the recommendations and correct any deficiencies that were discovered by your office."

DeBerry, a Cockrel appointee and holdover from the Kilpatrick administration, has served as MPD director since September 2007.

The department operates and maintains 23 parking facilities.

Mayoral spokesman Anthony Neely said an independent audit by KPMG, an auditing firm, shows that the problems within the department have been changed or are in the process of being fixed.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: charliebear on April 23, 2009, 09:35:59 AM
Sad, eh?  Remember that the people of Detroit re-elected the Kwamster for a second term after they knew about many of his misdealings.  I'm not saying they're stupid, but I lack the appropriate term for them.

Despite all his faults, Kwame kept it real.   :cool:

That's something that cannot be said about Hill, Hendrix and Archer.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

saskganesh

this is a fascinating thread. now that I live in Ontario, I should make plans to goto Detroit for some apocalypse tourism.
humans were created in their own image

The Brain

QuoteDepartment officials also were unable to explain to auditors why the Ford Underground Garage -- a busy facility beneath East Jefferson Avenue that serves the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center -- reported no revenue for several months.

It's Ford. Duh.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: saskganesh on April 23, 2009, 11:51:52 AM
this is a fascinating thread. now that I live in Ontario, I should make plans to goto Detroit for some apocalypse tourism.

I'll buy you a beer if you do.   :)

Caliga

I'd be afraid of running into mole rats and super mutant behemoths.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 12:28:12 PM

I'd be afraid of running into mole rats and super mutant behemoths.  :Embarrass:

I'll buy you a beer if you are maimed by mole rats or super mutant behemoths in Detroit.  :unsure:

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2009, 12:02:21 PM

I'll buy you a beer if you do.   :)

As will I.  A tall, cold Stroh's.

charliebear

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2009, 10:47:49 AM
Quote from: charliebear on April 23, 2009, 09:35:59 AM
Sad, eh?  Remember that the people of Detroit re-elected the Kwamster for a second term after they knew about many of his misdealings.  I'm not saying they're stupid, but I lack the appropriate term for them.

Despite all his faults, Kwame kept it real.   :cool:

That's something that cannot be said about Hill, Hendrix and Archer.

In what way, exactly?  I still want to know who killed the stripper.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: saskganesh on April 23, 2009, 04:20:29 PM
beer AND mutants!

I gotta go at some point.

I have it on good authority that Detroiters do not like it when you call them "mutants". 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on April 23, 2009, 04:10:26 PM
I'll buy you a beer if you are maimed by mole rats or super mutant behemoths in Detroit.  :unsure:

If I am, first you will have to buy me a rez  :(

Ed Anger

Looks like I'll be going to Detroit next month. I am taking my gun. And my slapjack.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga