Interesting Article about Rural Rage in America

Started by Valmy, October 13, 2016, 08:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2016, 02:18:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2016, 02:17:21 PM
QuoteHoly cockslaps, that makes it look like Obama's blue party is some kind of fringe political faction that struggles to get 20 percent of the vote. The blue parts, however, are more densely populated -- they're the cities. In the upper left, you see the blue Seattle/Tacoma area, lower down is San Francisco and then L.A. The blue around the dick-shaped Lake Michigan is made of cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago. In the northeast is, of course, New York and Boston, leading down into Philadelphia, which leads into a blue band which connects a bunch of southern cities like Charlotte and Atlanta.

:huh:

Pretty decent chunks of blue (say like in New England) are not urban or even really suburban.

Yeah and some cities are red. The Mississippi and Rio Grande valleys are not exactly urban either. It is not an exact science.

Well the Democrats are an alliance of urban elites and racial minorities for the most part.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: dps on October 13, 2016, 03:42:15 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 13, 2016, 09:31:13 AM

In the US your small town goes to shit and that's it. No hope anywhere for miles around. In the UK meanwhile there's probably a decent city just 20 miles away. 

I rather question whether there's a decent city anywhere in the UK outside London.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Does a city necessarily mean a city in the US?
The Japanese population data now says a huge percentage of the population live in cities.... because in the noughties lots of villages merged with their neighbours and declared themselves cities. Despite remaining collections of villages
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

The less said of japan the better.

Rural Japan is wonderful. There are empty homes, some of which get covered in undergrowth, and most people are old. It's very gentle and goes well with tea.

Rural Tennessee is a place of real anger.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 13, 2016, 06:00:57 PM
The less said of japan the better.

Rural Japan is wonderful. There are empty homes, some of which get covered in undergrowth, and most people are old. It's very gentle and goes well with tea.

Rural Tennessee is a place of real anger.

That's quite poetic, Lettow.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 13, 2016, 06:28:46 PM
Interesting article.

Highlights just how poorly Trump is letting down the genuine real grievances some of these people have, they deserve a lot better.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 13, 2016, 06:42:20 PM
Interesting article.

Highlights just how poorly Trump is letting down the genuine real grievances some of these people have, they deserve a lot better.

Still, don't underestimate the very American tradition of actively embracing anti-intellectualism and the Calvinist work ethic. 

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 13, 2016, 06:55:43 PM
Interesting article.

Still, don't underestimate the very American tradition of actively embracing anti-intellectualism and the Calvinist work ethic.

Nah, our Brexit decision still Trumps anything you guys have yet come up with, or now.

Admiral Yi

Enlighten me.  I skimmed it and I'm having a hard time seeing what these genuine real grievances are.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 13, 2016, 07:04:09 PM

Enlighten me.  I skimmed it and I'm having a hard time seeing what these genuine real grievances are.

Yi, empathy, empathy is your friend.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 13, 2016, 07:06:12 PM

You do realize that's where he is, don't you?  Yi has a ringside seat and is up to his balls in Mayberry, USA.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on October 13, 2016, 07:06:12 PM

What would you like me to empathize with?  That they make more movies about cities?  That cities are more densely populated?

Ed Anger

This thread reminds me that I need to make my annual visit to Harlan Kentucky.  :yuk:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive