News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cultural Opabinia

Started by Razgovory, October 12, 2016, 11:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2016, 08:48:49 AM
I think you are probably missing at the historical component that white people were the ones who had money and thus the ones that could purchase things like books, as well as own the presses.

Naturally then they created books with a slant to white people. If women form the majority of readers then it makes sense that books would be slanted to white women.

I already note that I think white women probably are more of a plurality of readers rather than a majority. Something that really isn't all that interesting to discuss anyway.

The interesting part, and the surprising part to me, is that they would be so much of a plurality and majority that non-white authors would actually come under pressure to write shit for them from publishers. As if any other market segments were so unimportant there was no room or reason to pander to anybody else. That was what was blowing my mind, not that they were an important demographic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2016, 09:05:03 AM
I think you are probably missing at the historical component that white people were the ones who had money and thus the ones that could purchase things like books, as well as own the presses.

Naturally then they created books with a slant to white people. If women form the majority of readers then it makes sense that books would be slanted to white women.

I already note that I think white women probably are more of a plurality of readers rather than a majority. Something that really isn't all that interesting to discuss anyway.

The interesting part, and the surprising part to me, is that they would be so much of a plurality and majority that non-white authors would actually come under pressure to write shit for them from publishers. As if any other market segments were so unimportant there was no room or reason to pander to anybody else. That was what was blowing my mind, not that they were an important demographic.

Really? It is surprising that non-white authors would feel like they need to write for a white audience? That's kinda what is mainstream.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2016, 09:23:46 AM
Really? It is surprising that non-white authors would feel like they need to write for a white audience? That's kinda what is mainstream.

Books seem like quite a niche product though. You don't have to sell a million copies to make money. It is not like big budget movies or AAA video games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2016, 09:55:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2016, 09:23:46 AM

Books seem like quite a niche product though. You don't have to sell a million copies to make money. It is not like big budget movies or AAA video games.

True. If you aren't trying to live off your writing, why you don't even need to charge for your book. Just make a free e-book. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on October 12, 2016, 02:33:45 PM
Garbon abhors the cultural appropriation of his native culture.  Whatever culture that happens to be this month.

Indeed. I lol'ed

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on October 13, 2016, 10:54:22 AM
Garbon abhors the cultural appropriation of his native culture.  Whatever culture that happens to be this month.

Indeed. I lol'ed

The old jokes are always the best.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2016, 11:46:08 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 13, 2016, 10:54:22 AM

Indeed. I lol'ed

The old jokes are always the best.

That's why they're called classics :yes:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on October 13, 2016, 09:05:03 AM

Writers who want to get rich (best seller/movie option) will write with a particular audience in mind.

Bit strange that Marlon James complains. His last book (which is very good for the most part and would have been brilliant if not for 100 pages of dreadful stream of conscious shit) deals with the attempted assassination of Bob Marley, Jamaican politics, the US crack academics. It contains some very violent and sexual and violent sexual and certainly isn't aimed at the mass market. But it won the premier UK literary award and sold a bunch.

Crazy_Ivan80

What I'd like to know is to what extent the label of cultural appopriation is leveled at white people.

Cause  we all know that a great many of those other groups whining about it had at some point or other their own empires. Or in some cases, still have them.

Making them at least a bit hypocritical and making their complaints smell about jealousy that it wasn't their group that ended up on top.
Better luck next time seems to be the appropriate response.

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 13, 2016, 01:28:40 PM
What I'd like to know is to what extent the label of cultural appopriation is leveled at white people.

Cause  we all know that a great many of those other groups whining about it had at some point or other their own empires. Or in some cases, still have them.

Making them at least a bit hypocritical and making their complaints smell about jealousy that it wasn't their group that ended up on top.
Better luck next time seems to be the appropriate response.

:lol:

Razgovory

I really wish I could have found a picture of an Opabinia wearing a hat.  That would seem more cultured.  I did find a picture of an anomalocarid wearing a hat.  They were far more dapper pre-Cambrian organism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2016, 01:39:11 PM
I really wish I could have found a picture of an Opabinia wearing a hat.  That would seem more cultured.  I did find a picture of an anomalocarid wearing a hat.  They were far more dapper pre-Cambrian organism.

How about an Oprahbinia?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Florida State University is saying Harambe costumes are cultural appropriation :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2016, 08:41:57 AM
Florida State University is saying Harambe costumes are cultural appropriation :huh:

Is that racist? That might be racist.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Scipio

Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2016, 08:53:47 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 19, 2016, 08:41:57 AM

Is that racist? That might be racist.
Surely, it's racist to say only black people can wear gorilla costumes, or only native Swahili speakers can joke about Harambe. Right?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt