News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

McDonalds

Started by Josquius, October 11, 2016, 05:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your relationship with Maccy Ds?

Never tried it
0 (0%)
I've had it only a few times in my life
8 (16%)
Used to eat it....now never
10 (20%)
Once a year maybe
6 (12%)
A few times a year
10 (20%)
Once a month maybe
7 (14%)
A few times a month
7 (14%)
Weekly
2 (4%)
Daily
0 (0%)
Hippocampus
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 11:39:19 AM

I find it strange that McDonalds is such a symbol of America abroad. It is no more a patriotic symbol than any other fast food restaurant is stateside. So I always found it bizarre angry foreigners were show their hatred of us by trashing a McDonalds, also with it being a franchise owned and staffed entirely by locals and all.

Specially when McDonalds goes to such lengths to localize their menus all around the world.

I just had a look but there's nothing in there I'd consider local. And if there is it's probably some Disneyfied abortion trying to resemble something 'local' as described by tourist guides.  :P

I kind of get the hatred. It's probably unfair to single out McDonald's but they just happen to be the symbol of everything that's wrong about fast food chains.

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on October 11, 2016, 12:15:27 PM

I kind of get the hatred. It's probably unfair to single out McDonald's but they just happen to be the symbol of everything that's wrong about fast food chains.

They provide a service people want? TEH HORRAH
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on October 11, 2016, 12:15:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 11:39:19 AM

I find it strange that McDonalds is such a symbol of America abroad. It is no more a patriotic symbol than any other fast food restaurant is stateside. So I always found it bizarre angry foreigners were show their hatred of us by trashing a McDonalds, also with it being a franchise owned and staffed entirely by locals and all.

Specially when McDonalds goes to such lengths to localize their menus all around the world.

I just had a look but there's nothing in there I'd consider local. And if there is it's probably some Disneyfied abortion trying to resemble something 'local' as described by tourist guides.  :P

I just went to the McDonalds Germany website.  That bratwurst hamburger is definitely not something you'd get in the USA.  You also don't get croissants and whatever the hell McToast is.  And I remember getting a McSchnitzel in Germany 8 years ago, although I can't find it on the menu now.

Don't get me wrong - McDonalds is still McDonalds.  I think you can get a Big Mac anywhere in the world.  But they arent' cookie-cutter operations
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2016, 12:21:12 PM

I just went to the McDonalds Germany website.  That bratwurst hamburger is definitely not something you'd get in the USA.  You also don't get croissants and whatever the hell McToast is.  And I remember getting a McSchnitzel in Germany 8 years ago, although I can't find it on the menu now.

Don't get me wrong - McDonalds is still McDonalds.  I think you can get a Big Mac anywhere in the world.  But they arent' cookie-cutter operations

I know I was mostly trolling and deserve some shit for that, but insinuating I'm German is too harsh.   :cry:

Zanza

McDonald's in Germany has invested big time into their McCafés as Starbucks somehow fumbled their market entry in Germany. I go to McCafé a few times a year as their coffee is not bad and they are located conveniently along autobahns or in railway stations. I have some of their food maybe once or twice a year.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 12:18:01 PM

They provide a service people want? TEH HORRAH

Which is why I dislike people.  :)

Jacob

It's been more than two decades since I ate at McDs.

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on October 11, 2016, 12:25:13 PM

I know I was mostly trolling and deserve some shit for that, but insinuating I'm German is too harsh.   :cry:

:lol:

You should post more then Mal.  Where are you from then - Holland?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2016, 12:27:56 PM
It's been more than two decades since I ate at McDs.

Impressive my friend. Your kids are clearly less susceptible to the clarion call of cheap crappy toys than mine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Anyway I am more of a Wendy's guy when it comes to fast food but since I have kids now I have to get McDonald's chicken sandwich while they get their toys...er...I mean lunches every once in a while. Wendy's chicken sandwiches are better.

I find it strange that McDonalds is such a symbol of America abroad. It is no more a patriotic symbol than any other fast food restaurant is stateside. So I always found it bizarre angry foreigners were show their hatred of us by trashing a McDonalds, also with it being a franchise owned and staffed entirely by locals and all.[/quote]
It's the biggest fast food place in the US still right?

I guess its because of the history. "First McDonalds opens in Moscow" is such a big deal, a large ugly stand out sign of a country opening up to the west.

Plus we don't get most of the others. If we're lucky occasionally Burger King. Wendys...there was one in Harajuku for a few months before closing again; it was a bit expensive though alright.

just went to the McDonalds Germany website.  That bratwurst hamburger is definitely not something you'd get in the USA.  You also don't get croissants and whatever the hell McToast is.  And I remember getting a McSchnitzel in Germany 8 years ago, although I can't find it on the menu now.

I tried that one in Luxembourg. It is interesting to check out mcdonalds in new countries to see what is different.
"A kofte burger please"
"Hamburger? 1?" *rings it up*
"No. A kofte. burger"
"Ham. Burger?"
"No. Kufte, kofte, koofte, burger"
"....hamburger?"
"Gahh, that one on the picture!"

It is just a pretty standard sausage sandwich like you'll get at a greasy spoon in Britain.
I guess its good for a late breakfast
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Add me to the list of self-checkout haters. In the long run, the only ones profiting from that thing are the chains that cut cashier jobs as they pull off the con of shifting that workload to the customers themselves.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on October 11, 2016, 01:03:57 PM
Add me to the list of self-checkout haters. In the long run, the only ones profiting from that thing are the market chains that cut cashier jobs while as pull off the con of shifting that workload to the customers themselves.

I dunno - when the local McDonalds brought in the self-serve kiosks they said they were actually hiring more staff, because they were also introducing table service.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on October 11, 2016, 12:53:23 PM

I thought Subway had surpassed it. Even if it is it is not dominant, it has many roughly equivalent competitors.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2016, 01:12:01 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 11, 2016, 12:53:23 PM

I thought Subway had surpassed it. Even if it is it is not dominant, it has many roughly equivalent competitors.

In # of locations.  Not sure about total sales though.

Quick google - yup McDonalds out-sells Subway almost 3-1.

Valmy

Maybe McDonalds is just overpriced.