Hurricane Matthew Megathread of Destruction, Federal Aid for Federal Govt Haters

Started by CountDeMoney, October 06, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Scipio on October 06, 2016, 08:13:37 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2016, 08:10:31 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 06, 2016, 08:04:56 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 06, 2016, 07:50:41 PM
Why not build houses and buildings that can actually withstand the wind?  When a typhoon hits Hong Kong, it is holiday time for us.  We go to the malls and restaurants and enjoy the day off.

You rang? :)

For the most part, construction is up to withstanding tropical weather.  A tropical storm or minor hurricane is generally not an issue.  Major hurricanes are always an issue, though.  It's really hard to build buildings that can withstand 120kt+ winds without making them look like bunkers.

Hong Kong doesn't get storms like Florida does.  The one that just rolled over y'all last weekend only had maximum sustained winds of 85kts, yet according to the BBC was the most power typhoon to hit in over three decades.  85kts is a hurricane party in South Florida, too.  120kts is OHSHIT weather.

I sort was sort of wondering about this, my gut instinct was Caribbean/Atlantic Hurricanes are just have more powerful storm wind than other ocean systems ? :unsure:
Everything is bigger in America.

Well many Europeans  seem to say why don't Americans just build stronger houses, as we've seen on Languish, most of those don't seem to appreciate that tornadoes or hurricanes are an order of magnitude more powerful that the strong breezes and storms we get over here.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadBurgerMaker

NAS Jax and Mayport are (mostly) closed tomorrow and Saturday.   Friend of mine left work at around 230-3ish, so I guess that's when they shut down today.  I think he's headed to Panama City. 

E:  I guess when it loops around, wrecks Miami, and goes into the Gulf or whatever, the other friend of mine he and his family are staying with can just go back over to his place in Jacksonville.  Heh.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2016, 08:19:05 PM
Well many Europeans  seem to say why don't Americans just build stronger houses, as we've seen on Languish, most of those don't seem to appreciate that tornadoes or hurricanes are an order of magnitude more powerful that the strong breezes and storms we get over here.
For some reason I can't really fathom, it's one of the more consistent attacks on America by Russians with inferiority complex.  "Americans are so stupid and shortsighted, they build houses from cardboard have them blown away by tornadoes, while we have brick houses that were built 300 years ago. :smarty:"

citizen k

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane-matthew-evacuation-man-shot-dead-by-south-carolina-deputies-in-dispute/

CBS/AP October 6, 2016, 9:35 AM
Man shot dead by S.C. deputies in hurricane evacuation dispute

MIAMI -- A motorist shot during an altercation with South Carolina deputies over a HurricaneMatthew evacuation route has died.

Berkeley County Chief Deputy Coroner George Oliver says 35-year-old Lucas M. Felkel of Moncks Corner died shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Sheriff Duane Lewis says it happened about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in Moncks Corner when a motorist came to a checkpoint, knocked down some traffic cones and sped off.

Lewis said he didn't know at the time what the subject told the officers, but he said there was some indication by the subject that the officers were in danger, CBS affiliate WCSC-TV reports.

"His actions placed the officers in danger," Lewis said. "The Moncks Corner police called the sheriff's office for assistance and we responded and picked up the chase on Old Highway 52."

The sheriff says when deputies finally caught up with the driver a few miles away he pointed a gun at deputies and started shooting. The sheriff says the deputies shot back, wounding the man who was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

No deputies were wounded, but the sheriff says that four deputies have been placed on administrative leave.

The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating. The coroner says an autopsy is scheduled.

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is taking every precaution in ordering a massive evacuation. To reduce delays, state troopers reversed all of the interstate's east-bound lanes, creating a one-way, six-lane freeway that stretches more than 100 miles from Charleston to Columbia. That's in addition to South Carolina's established network of hurricane evacuation routes.

Martinus

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Hamilcar

They bought their coastal real estate, they knew what they were getting into.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 07, 2016, 10:03:47 AM

What about the ones that rented?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 07, 2016, 02:12:47 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on October 07, 2016, 10:03:47 AM

What about the ones that rented?

[hami]

Their fault for not having a numbered Swiss bank account.

{/hami]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Hamilcar

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 07, 2016, 02:59:03 PM
Is the "tornado" line even funny any more? It's what, 8 years old?

Au contraire, lines like that just get funnier over time.

I mean I don't think I've worn a pair of pants with pleats for ten years.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2016, 03:06:39 PM

We don't believe you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2016, 03:06:39 PM

People still think I have a basement.  And Hot Wheels tracks.