Hurricane Matthew Megathread of Destruction, Federal Aid for Federal Govt Haters

Started by CountDeMoney, October 06, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

dps

Quote from: DGuller on October 06, 2016, 09:55:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 06, 2016, 08:19:05 PM
Well many Europeans  seem to say why don't Americans just build stronger houses, as we've seen on Languish, most of those don't seem to appreciate that tornadoes or hurricanes are an order of magnitude more powerful that the strong breezes and storms we get over here.
For some reason I can't really fathom, it's one of the more consistent attacks on America by Russians with inferiority complex.  "Americans are so stupid and shortsighted, they build houses from cardboard have them blown away by tornadoes, while we have brick houses that were built 300 years ago. :smarty:"

Natural disaster hits the US:  $15Billion in property damage, 15 dead.

Natural disaster hits somewhere else:  150,000 dead, a buck fifty in property damage.

jimmy olsen

Death toll in Haiti is over 800 and likely to go a lot higher. Entire towns have been razed to ground.  The countey never fully recovered from the earthquake and this is just setting back any progress made.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-matthew/hurricane-matthew-tolls-nears-500-impoverished-haiti-reuters-n661711
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Only two scheduled football games for this week won't be played this weekend, Tulane vs. UCF, and UF vs. LSU. The Tulane/UCF game has been rescheduled for Nov. 5. So only the UF vs. LSU game is potentially to be cancelled, despite LSU offering to play on Sunday or even monday, including without an audience, or to host the game in Louisiana.

Florida declined all of them, and made the "counterproposal" that LSU cancel its home game the second to last game of the season, which is senior day, and travel to Florida, which would also mean LSU playing 3 SEC games in 13 days. Which LSU obviously won't do.

So why is Florida unwilling to play when every other game is going to get played? Oh yeah, there is that if Tennessee finishes 6-2 in the SEC, and Florida 6-1, Florida wins the division, but if Florida is 6-2 they don't (Tennessee will have the tiebreak).

Leave it to the Gators to try to exploit a natural disaster to weasel out of a game and gain an edge. Well, they call themselves Gators but they sure act like Chickens.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on October 07, 2016, 09:28:03 PM
Only two scheduled football games for this week won't be played this weekend, Tulane vs. UCF, and UF vs. LSU. The Tulane/UCF game has been rescheduled for Nov. 5. So only the UF vs. LSU game is potentially to be cancelled, despite LSU offering to play on Sunday or even monday, including without an audience, or to host the game in Louisiana.

Florida declined all of them, and made the "counterproposal" that LSU cancel its home game the second to last game of the season, which is senior day, and travel to Florida, which would also mean LSU playing 3 SEC games in 13 days. Which LSU obviously won't do.

So why is Florida unwilling to play when every other game is going to get played? Oh yeah, there is that if Tennessee finishes 6-2 in the SEC, and Florida 6-1, Florida wins the division, but if Florida is 6-2 they don't (Tennessee will have the tiebreak).

Leave it to the Gators to try to exploit a natural disaster to weasel out of a game and gain an edge. Well, they call themselves Gators but they sure act like Chickens.

What's the status on retro uniforms?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2016, 12:56:36 AM

What's the status on retro uniforms?

I don't know - I don't pay so much attention to the fashion side of college football. I think there are plenty of posters that do, so I'm sure someone can help you.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fromtia

I live in St.Augustine. My house is in Evacuation zone B, so I Evacuated Thursday morning. Bagged up all my comic books and put them in the central, sturdiest part of the house. Took my girlfriend and my cat and went to stay with gfs mom about 15 miles inland. Son of fromtia evacuated with his mother and is staying in Gainesville. Her house is on the barrier island here, so in a real shitty spot.

Downtown flooded, so did the barrier island. National Guard deployed and so on. I returned to my house this morning and damage is minor, torn soffits and a demolished fence panel. I even have power. Cat was a real champ about the whole thing.

Im pretty sure a lot of people are going to start crying about media hype and gubbermint conspiracy and so forth, because the town wasnt flattened. But I consider myself to have dodged a very large caliber bullet. The Storm veered away from the coast by about 50 miles late thursday night and lost some intensity (like a goth teenager finally eating a hot meal). Had we got a more or less direct hit from a Cat 4 St.Augustine would have been severely ploughed by a very big veiny dick. I would probably have a house with no roof at best.

Pretty relieved right now. :)
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Our yard is under about 2 feet of water now.  Another foot or so and it's going to get into the house.  We haven't been told to evacuate, but at this point if we have to, it'll have to be by boat.

mongers

Quote from: fromtia on October 08, 2016, 12:35:18 PM
I live in St.Augustine. My house is in Evacuation zone B, so I Evacuated Thursday morning. Bagged up all my comic books and put them in the central, sturdiest part of the house. Took my girlfriend and my cat and went to stay with gfs mom about 15 miles inland. Son of fromtia evacuated with his mother and is staying in Gainesville. Her house is on the barrier island here, so in a real shitty spot.

Downtown flooded, so did the barrier island. National Guard deployed and so on. I returned to my house this morning and damage is minor, torn soffits and a demolished fence panel. I even have power. Cat was a real champ about the whole thing.

Im pretty sure a lot of people are going to start crying about media hype and gubbermint conspiracy and so forth, because the town wasnt flattened. But I consider myself to have dodged a very large caliber bullet. The Storm veered away from the coast by about 50 miles late thursday night and lost some intensity (like a goth teenager finally eating a hot meal). Had we got a more or less direct hit from a Cat 4 St.Augustine would have been severely ploughed by a very big veiny dick. I would probably have a house with no roof at best.

Pretty relieved right now. :)

Heah, Formtia, good to hear from you and that everything is AOK and not going swimmingly in one respect if you get my off-shore drift.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: dps on October 08, 2016, 05:20:37 PM
Our yard is under about 2 feet of water now.  Another foot or so and it's going to get into the house.  We haven't been told to evacuate, but at this point if we have to, it'll have to be by boat.

Good grief, wereabouts are you?

Hope it works out ok.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

I have 3 officers coming back from FLETC at Glynco, GA. Buildings flooded.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on October 08, 2016, 05:41:49 PM
I have 3 officers coming back from FLETC at Glynco, GA. Buildings flooded.

3 officers? That's, what, at least 2 twisted ankles, one wrist and as many as 3 knees.