News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where should I move ?

Started by Josquius, October 04, 2016, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which European city would be best to live in?

Amsterdam
1 (4.5%)
Barcelona
3 (13.6%)
Berlin
2 (9.1%)
Copenhagen
0 (0%)
Dublin
0 (0%)
Edinburgh
4 (18.2%)
London
6 (27.3%)
Stockholm
1 (4.5%)
Asia or bust!
3 (13.6%)
The grave
0 (0%)
Istanbul/Antwerp/some other semi serious left field option
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Josquius

All purely theoretical of course. Though I chose cities with a decent chance of worthwhile employment one never knows where a job might appear.
Plus of course I already have a job here (hi company spies :unsure:)

I've been thinking to arrange my thoughts into more of a proper pros and cons list. But I'm just not that sad or energetic.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Best to live in, or best to live in for you?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Barcelona. Good climate, good connections, good food, interesting language to learn (Spanish, not Catalan), but it is comparatively low income, especially compared to Zurich or wherever you are now.

Syt

Also, a fortune cookie this weekend told me, "Wherever you move, you always take yourself with you."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

It's true...I haven't been able to leave myself behind yet.  :mad:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

London.  Financial centre, lots of huge corporations, good pay, English language, happiest place on Earth, your home. 

Liep

Move back to Japan. Or Ozurgeti.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on October 04, 2016, 02:58:34 AM

Yeah.  I kind of got stuck between two ideas there didn't I.
And shouldn't have included that last option.
Oh well. Not a serious poll
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2016, 03:25:56 AM

You can simply let the market decide.  Apply for jobs everywhere.  Pick the offer with the highest after tax pay. 

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2016, 03:27:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2016, 03:25:56 AM

You can simply let the market decide.  Apply for jobs everywhere.  Pick the offer with the highest after tax pay. 
That's what landed me in the most boring country on earth surrounded by francophones.
Now I've got a bit of experience I hope I can be a little more discerning.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2016, 03:10:26 AM
London.  Financial centre, lots of huge corporations, good pay, English language, happiest place on Earth, your home. 

Mono and I agree on something.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on October 04, 2016, 03:41:59 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 04, 2016, 03:10:26 AM

Mono and I agree on something.

No thanks. There are enough northerners here already whining on about how you could buy the whole of Sunderland for the price of a cupboard in Thamesmead and how unfriendly everyone is.