News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Boris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU

Started by Martinus, September 30, 2016, 11:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I think that a hard brexit is now the most likely outcome, if only because the intermediate arrangements are clearly nowhere near as good as being a member.

The "European political circles" have done their job well, any rerun of the referendum would probably lead to an increased majority to leave. The brexiteers' faces must light up with pleasure whenever the tax-evader Juncker appears on tv.

Zoupa

Somebody's bitter... Blame your countrymen for that mess. The eurocrats and Juncker are not responsible for UK voter whims.

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2016, 02:50:56 AM
Somebody's bitter... Blame your countrymen for that mess. The eurocrats and Juncker are not responsible for UK voter whims.

Actually, words do matter. Said whims often can verify heightened by ill-tempered responses.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Hmmm what?

My point is that Europe stayed out of the referendum campaign. It seems silly to complain that the mean europeans won't play ball with you after you took a giant dump on their field. What would you have the EU do exactly? What's the incentive for the EU to be generous?

garbon

Sorry, we here at languish have already had this discussion ad nauseam. You are free to look it up if you'd like to see it. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't expect the EU to be generous, what worries me is that the UK and the Eu will not even be using enlightened self-interest.

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 30, 2016, 08:45:13 PM
The only thing funnier would be watching Israel join.  Europeans would flip the fuck out.

I think you overestimate our antisemitism. Last year we had a Jewish person named the Best Dane of 2015. Sure, it was awarded posthumously because he was shot by an antisemit, but the point stands.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 01, 2016, 02:30:34 AM
The "European political circles" have done their job well, any rerun of the referendum would probably lead to an increased majority to leave. The brexiteers' faces must light up with pleasure whenever the tax-evader Juncker appears on tv.
The feeling is mutual. When your senior government officials, e.g. your foreign minister, say silly things, I don't lament the UK leaving as much anymore.

Zanza

Just saw this article that has a video with hundred reasons why the British should embrace Brexit...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/30/100-reasons-to-embrace-brexit/

Some of the many silly things in that video:
Boost English wine, Kent champagne  :unsure:
Cheap tennis balls - yeah, that's worth upending forty years of foreign policy
New hangover cures - for the English wines and Kent champagne?
No tampon tax - that's oddly specific
No cookies message - fair enough, that's pretty annoying

And last, but not least, two really ridiculous ones...

A more British EPL, better English team   :lmfao: :lmfao:

Richard Hakluyt

I think that video is satirical in intent  :hmm:

...........at least I hope it is.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2016, 02:56:34 AM

Actually, words do matter. Said whims often can verify heightened by ill-tempered responses.

The EU-crats has the EU's own citizens to worry about in the first place - and thanks to idiocy and myopia of the Brits they also have to worry about more countries following the suit. Trying to convince Brits to stay is much less of a priority than making sure the interests of the remaining EU countries are maintained and no other EU countries decides to leave.

That's why there is absolutely no intention to give Brits, say, an access to the EU single financial or trade markets, if they close the doors to workers from EU member states - and it's as it should be.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2016, 05:46:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 01, 2016, 02:56:34 AM

The EU-crats has the EU's own citizens to worry about in the first place - and thanks to idiocy and myopia of the Brits they also have to worry about more countries following the suit. Trying to convince Brits to stay is much less of a priority than making sure the interests of the remaining EU countries are maintained and no other EU countries decides to leave.

That's why there is absolutely no intention to give Brits, say, an access to the EU single financial or trade markets, if they close the doors to workers from EU member states - and it's as it should be.

I read that Corbyn is all about freedom of movement but no single market. :D