News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Boris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU

Started by Martinus, September 30, 2016, 11:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteBoris Johnson: UK will help Turkey join the EU

Britain will support Turkey's bid to join the EU despite its June 23 vote to leave the bloc, the U.K.'s foreign secretary said on Monday.

"We may be leaving the European Union but we are not leaving Europe," Boris Johnson said while on an official visit to Turkey, AFP reported. He added the U.K. "will help Turkey in any way."

Johnson sought to reassure the country of Britain's continued support in the wake of an attempted coup in July. The U.K. will stand "shoulder-to-shoulder with Ankara," Johnson said, which has a vital role to play on the world state.

Johnson visited a camp for Syrian refugees and praised Turkey for the "remarkable work" it was doing in dealing with the refugee

Boasting that he was the "proud possessor of a beautiful, very well-functioning Turkish washing machine," Johnson underscored the importance of the trade relationship between the U.K. and Turkey.

"We are lucky in the United Kingdom to be one of the biggest recipients of Turkish goods," he said, according to the Guardian.

Johnson's relationship with Ankara has not always been so friendly. In May, prior to his appointment to the role of foreign secretary, Johnson won a poetry prize for a rude limerick about Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan having sex with a goat.

What the fuck.  :huh:

http://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-uk-will-help-turkey-join-the-eu/?utm_content=bufferad56f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Hamilcar

There's chuzpah, and then there's whatever this is.

The Minsky Moment

It's just Boris, it's not like anyone would appoint him to a cabinet pos . . . oh wait.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2016, 12:03:26 PM
It's just Boris, it's not like anyone would appoint him to a cabinet pos . . . oh wait.

They would if the intention was to set him up to fail, same with Liam Fox and that other Brexiter minister.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 30, 2016, 12:09:16 PM
They would if the intention was to set him up to fail, same with Liam Fox and that other Brexiter minister.

There's an inherent fallacy in the plan of setting someone up to fail by using the mechanism of putting him in a position of great responsibility that effects the lives of millions of people.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2016, 12:32:47 PM

There's an inherent fallacy in the plan of setting someone up to fail by using the mechanism of putting him in a position of great responsibility that effects the lives of millions of people.

True. But they put him in the Foreign Office instead.

Josquius

Hilarious.
Of course, Britain has always been the biggest supporter of Turkey joining.
....but in light of Brexit....especially in light of the Brexiters using the prospect of Turkish membership as part of project fear....ah....
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 30, 2016, 12:32:47 PM

You assume the PM puts the interests of the country above strengthening their grip over their own political party.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

I kinda want to go over to his house with a poster thanking him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

I'm sure that's going to really help Turkey's prospects with the EU. Maybe Boris could offer them the UK's spot?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on September 30, 2016, 03:05:59 PM
I'm sure that's going to really help Turkey's prospects with the EU. Maybe Boris could offer them the UK's spot?

I like the cut of your jib, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

alfred russel

Maybe that could be a unorthodox and hard line negotiating position...Let us out of the EU on good terms, or we will push to let Turkey in, and if you won't do so, we will force you to do so to the extent we are able, eg, granting all citizens of Turkey UK passports.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014