The Presidential Debate, "Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, September 26, 2016, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2016, 05:58:41 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 27, 2016, 05:52:30 AM
Did anyone's opinion change after the debate?  Not just switching from supporting Trump to Clinton or vice versa; but was anyone planning to vote third party but now will vote for Hil or Don?  Or was anyone planning not to vote but will now (or planning to vote but now will not)?

It's all confirmation bias now; Trump's not going to lose anybody, so I think the only real expectation is trying to keep potential Clinton voters from staying home, or being all Millennial stupid and piss their votes away on Stoner Nader.

I agree, which is why I posted the question the way that I did.  Trump has come across as even more nasty, brutish and short-fingered in the past two days than before.  I don't think that will cost him any support, but was his performance so bad that it will get out the vote for Hil, or frighten third party voters to Hil's camp?  Or was Hil's good enough that she was able to get out the vote or to convince third party voters that she's really the lesser of two evils?

While I realize that Languish is hardly an ideal focus group; the fact that no one answered my question doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this debate mattered at all.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I haven't met much in the way of soft Trump supporters so I don't have a feel for what pushes their levers.

On a different note, 80 million watched the debate, a new Olympic record.

garbon

I don't think Languish would be good for testing that at all. Do we have many undecided voters, planned non-voters or 3rd party folk?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

The news just said that there are more undecided voters than normal right now. That seems surprising to me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Savonarola

CNN had a theater critic review Trump's performance in last night's debate:  That's Entertainment!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2016, 05:25:16 PM
I haven't met much in the way of soft Trump supporters so I don't have a feel for what pushes their levers.

On a different note, 80 million watched the debate, a new Olympic record.

Undercounts it since that doesn't count online viewers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

It's a shame Hillary didn't ask him if he was feeling OK, what with his sniffles and all.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 27, 2016, 05:44:37 PM
The news just said that there are more undecided voters than normal right now. That seems surprising to me.

Not me.  I'm surprised there aren't more, with the two main candidates being so shitty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Moderating was a bit weak. They need to bring in Tony Reali and the Around the Horn mute button.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on September 27, 2016, 05:15:14 PM
I agree, which is why I posted the question the way that I did.  Trump has come across as even more nasty, brutish and short-fingered in the past two days than before.  I don't think that will cost him any support, but was his performance so bad that it will get out the vote for Hil, or frighten third party voters to Hil's camp?  Or was Hil's good enough that she was able to get out the vote or to convince third party voters that she's really the lesser of two evils?

While I realize that Languish is hardly an ideal focus group; the fact that no one answered my question doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this debate mattered at all.

Anecdotally I know of one internet acquaintance's girlfriend who went from "voting is pointless and I'm not going to do it" to "registered with the intent to vote for Hillary" as a result of the debate.

CountDeMoney

Suburban Women Find Little to Like in Donald Trump's Debate Performance

Although not everybody's sold  :lol:

QuoteNot everyone thought Mr. Trump appeared unprepared for the White House.

Barb Haag, a retired teacher of the emotionally disturbed, said Mr. Trump's interruptions did not bother her. "Kids interrupt you all the time if they have a point to make," she said.

HVC

If your preferred candidate reminds you of little bobby the stabber you might want to reconsider
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 27, 2016, 08:04:36 PM
Suburban Women Find Little to Like in Donald Trump's Debate Performance

Although not everybody's sold  :lol:

QuoteNot everyone thought Mr. Trump appeared unprepared for the White House.

Barb Haag, a retired teacher of the emotionally disturbed, said Mr. Trump's interruptions did not bother her. "Kids interrupt you all the time if they have a point to make," she said.

:lol:

She's got moxie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive