The Presidential Debate, "Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, September 26, 2016, 06:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

For the sake of fact-checking, trolling, and overall monitoring the slow, agonizing death throes of American democracy as it happens!, I would like to keep the running dialog on the debate tonight in here.  If only to reduce the stress on "the Election" thread.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

It is going to be grand, I have no doubt. Time for some pearl clutching, some gloating, some tut-tutting, and perhaps even some lols.

Will Trump stop lying? Will he manage to look like he has any kind of plan that's even remotely coherent other than pissing off progressives, ethnic minorities, and the politically correct?

Will Hillary manage to somehow land on that tiny magical spot that is "yeah, I guess she's human" and somehow shrug off the years of vilification?

Tune in and find out!

Just a note - this year last time Romney was leading against Obama in most (if not all polls).

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

The weight of gravity.  What if somebody doesn't log in until tomorrow and find 25 pages of minute-by-minute color commentary?  That's not polite.

DGuller

Can't really bring myself to watch it.  What am I going to get out of it?  Nothing, except maybe cognitive decline.  And almost surely a sense of disappointment.  The best possible scenario is that Trump shows himself to be utterly unfit, but even then it would be depressing that it required a debate to prove it.  And all the other possibilities are just downhill from here, and they're considerably more likely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2016, 07:09:19 PM
The best possible scenario is that Trump shows himself to be utterly unfit, but even then it would be depressing that it required a debate to prove it.

He's been doing that for a year  :lol:  You just have a chance to see reason #3,136 live.

lustindarkness

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2016, 07:07:01 PM
The weight of gravity.  What if somebody doesn't log in until tomorrow and find 25 pages of minute-by-minute color commentary?  That's not polite.

Define "polite" please, thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Legbiter

Maybe nothing very interesting will happen. Trump will be fairly subdued relatively speaking and Clinton will not have any health issues. Tone and body language rather than what's being said will generate an overall vibe and determine the winner.

Trump has an advantage I'd say.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2016, 07:10:32 PM
The best possible scenario is that Trump shows himself to be utterly unfit, but even then it would be depressing that it required a debate to prove it.

He's been doing that for a year  :lol:  You just have a chance to see reason #3,136 live.
Exactly.  And I generally don't need more than 10 reasons to come to a conclusion, so what's the point of running up the count after that?  I don't find this circus amusing, I find it very frightening.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2016, 07:16:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 26, 2016, 07:10:32 PM

Exactly.  And I generally don't need more than 10 reasons to come to a conclusion, so what's the point of running up the count after that?  I don't find this circus amusing, I find it very frightening.

Same reason I have to watch.  :Embarrass: :cry:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Legbiter on September 26, 2016, 07:16:42 PM
and Clinton will not have any health issues

:lol:  What are your friends in Trollkin Land laying odds on?  Stroke? Loss of bladder control? Uncontrollable tremors?  A case of "the vapors?"