And we're back!

Main Menu

Lawyers claim ringtones are public performance

Started by jimmy olsen, July 03, 2009, 01:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2009, 02:08:09 PM
Why all the lawyer hate?   :huh:

At some point a lawyer gave the opinion that this was at least a viable argument hence the  :rolleyes:

It the same reaction I have whenever I see a frivolous law suit.

Martinus

It's only an argument made in court.  If the argument succeeds you should blame the judge.  If the argument fails you don't need to blame anyone.

As a fellow lawyer, I disagree. A lawyer's job is, among others, to point out to their clients when they are going too far.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2009, 02:53:46 PM

At some point a lawyer gave the opinion that this was at least a viable argument hence the  :rolleyes:

It the same reaction I have whenever I see a frivolous law suit.

I would support public executions for lawyers filing frivolous law suits. Should deal with the problem somewhat.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2009, 05:06:07 PM

It's only an argument made in court.  If the argument succeeds you should blame the judge.  If the argument fails you don't need to blame anyone.

As a fellow lawyer, I disagree. A lawyer's job is, among others, to point out to their clients when they are going too far.
That's a waste of time when you're talking to executives in copyright bodies.  There's no depth they won't sink to.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

In private.  And then follow your client's instructions.

I dunno - this principle sounds silly, but maybe it has a small chance of success.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Well, various "pirate parties" are gaining support in Europe. If media companies and copyright bodies do not curb their excesses, they will be eaten alive (perhaps, except, the US where they have the legislators in their pockets).

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2009, 05:14:44 PM

In private.  And then follow your client's instructions.

I dunno - this principle sounds silly, but maybe it has a small chance of success.

*shrug* Usually my clients follow my advice. They may bitch and moan at first, but eventually they give up when they want to do something stupid and I advise them against it.

I just think too many lawyers are all too happy to just charge billable hours on whatever idiocy their clients think up. Most clients loathe to throw money at some no-go project. So I don't really think it's them, but the greedy/compliant lawyers who are at fault.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2009, 05:17:56 PM
*shrug* Usually my clients follow my advice. They may bitch and moan at first, but eventually they give up when they want to do something stupid and I advise them against it.

I dunno - divorce clients and criminal clients can be pretty bad at following their lawyer's advice...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2009, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2009, 05:17:56 PM

I dunno - divorce clients and criminal clients can be pretty bad at following their lawyer's advice...

Oh, divorce and criminal lawyers are scum. Don't get me wrong - they are needed; the same way we need the intestinal bacteria. Doesn't mean you have to like them, though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2009, 05:21:59 PM

In the case of criminal law clients, the act was already committed.  All that is left to do is see if the Crown can make its case so I dont see the parallel there.  I know even less about family law - thank goodness.

dps

Cell phone ringtones aren't public performances--they're public nuisances.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: dps on July 03, 2009, 09:30:33 PM
Cell phone ringtones aren't public performances--they're public nuisances.

yeah if there's going to be some kind of fee, this should be it. Nuisance tax.

my cell either sounds like a phone (a real phone, not a cell phone) or is on silent or vibrate
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 03, 2009, 10:33:04 PM
my cell either sounds like a phone (a real phone, not a cell phone) or is on silent or vibrate
You're a good soul.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alatriste

You know, some day (sooner rather than later) we are going to have a Zen trial: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it does it generate royalties?

Razgovory

Shakespeare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017