Who Is The Most Reviled Person in Your Country's History?

Started by Admiral Yi, September 20, 2016, 08:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 21, 2016, 11:49:49 AM
Tie Domi is a fucking war criminal.

Did you know his son is playing for the Arizona Coyotes, and is actually a skilled player (and not just an enforcer)?  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Gups

Currently, I would say Jimmy Saville. Jack the Ripper has a degree of longevity though.

Archy

Quote from: Maladict on September 21, 2016, 06:01:07 AM
Tough one.
It could be Mussert, leader of the collaborators during the war, but he's more ridiculed than reviled nowadays.

If foreigners count then I guess either Seyss-Inquart, the Duke of Alva or maybe Balthasar Gerard.
I forgot the duke of Alva. Thanks to remind me.

And a completely Belgian one. Marc Dutroux.
And a shared place with Hungary Andras Pandy.
Abdesalaam the Paris attack guy.

Delirium

Quote from: The Brain on September 21, 2016, 11:08:05 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 21, 2016, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: Delirium on September 21, 2016, 03:41:17 AM
A good candidate is Gustav IV Adolf: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_IV_Adolf_of_Sweden

200+ years after the fact he is still the scapegoat for why Finland was lost to the Russkies.

Lousy king but its not like anyone else would have been able to win that war.

Cronstedt who quickly surrendered the fortress Sveaborg (in the same war) was pretty reviled, but of course these days few Swedes have heard of him.

Anckarström who murdered Gustav III had a poor rep (IIRC the family changed their name afterwards), but again these days no one cares.

A hundred years ago school kids would learn about the evil advisor Jöran Persson who worked for Erik XIV, but today he's forgotten.

Charles XII is pretty reviled by a significant segment of the population, but I'd say controversial is a better word than reviled in his case. The same can be said about Olof Palme.

Of course you have a group of infamous criminals like mass-murderer Mattias Flink and stuff, but they will come and go.

A vocal minority in the southern provinces dislikes Gustavus Adolphus and Charles XI for stuff done in wars against the Danes (burning, pillaging, killing), but those monarchs are overall pretty popular.

All in all not that many great villains in Swedish history, Gustav IV Adolf is probably the best candidate. He gives off a general loser vibe, which can never be forgiven.

Agreed. Tough definition though: "most reviled person in your country's history". My take is that Gustav IV Adolf is most reviled, *over the course of the 200 years of history since he was removed*, but of course he would not be very well known by Swedes today (which can be said about almost any king I think). For me Cronstedt is probably a better choice, GIVA has an aura of Greek tragedy about him, fighting against the odds (Napoleon) when everyone else had given up on the cause.

Palme divides the country but would probably come up top on the list (disregarding murderers) if you ask a random sample of the population.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on September 21, 2016, 06:01:07 AM
If foreigners count then I guess either Seyss-Inquart, the Duke of Alva or maybe Balthasar Gerard.

They don't.  Has to be a local.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 21, 2016, 11:01:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 21, 2016, 10:24:00 AM
it was widely reported by the English press at the time, and I can't remember the Gazette ever disagreed or condemned the letter, for example.

As for the generality of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Quebec_sentiment

I guess the Toronto Sun is sent to only 275 subcribers? :)
to hear people talk about Quebec culture would give Hermann Göring the desire to brandish his revolver." — Peter Stockland, Toronto Sun, November 30, 1989[page needed]
Quebec leaves a bad taste in the mouth, in my opinion, take these bastards and throw them into the ocean."

"I will NEVER let up in my battle against the LEFT. I will do everything that i can to get the RACIST Province of Quebec out of Canada, and to end the French Ethnocentric AFFIRMATIVE action policy within Canada that denies the 97% English Canadian MAJORITY (excluding Quebec) fair access to work in their own civil services, and hold senior ranks in Canada's military and the RCMP (National Police Force)."

there's more samples.

Viper, you seem unable to distinguish between two things:

(1) Some people in English Canada have made statements denigrating Quebec over the last century or so; and

(2) Hatred of Quebec is widespread, uncontroversial, and commonly expressed today in English Canada.

When challenged for basically stating (2), you simply find some examples of (1). In this case a Wikipedia page no less, which suffers from the further problem of being unable to distinguish "criticism of particular policies and laws passed by the Quebec government" with "statements denigrating Quebec".  :lol:

If lots of people in Quebec are like viper, widespread of dislike of Quebec is not only understandable but expected.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

For the US, one of the worst people is also one of the least known, James Wilkinson.  More well known, people are J. Edgar Hoover and Henry Kissinger, though I don't dislike them.  In some circles they are monsters.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2016, 10:47:47 AM
All of the examples on your wiki page are uncited, so it's impossible to prove the statement was made (this is wiki, after all), never mind tell in what context they were made.
all the examples are cited.  You have the name of the commentator and the media they were published in.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2016, 01:48:20 PM
it was widely reported by the English press at the time, and I can't remember the Gazette ever disagreed or condemned the letter, for example.

to hear people talk about Quebec culture would give Hermann Göring the desire to brandish his revolver." — Peter Stockland, Toronto Sun, November 30, 1989[page needed]
Quebec leaves a bad taste in the mouth, in my opinion, take these bastards and throw them into the ocean."

"I will NEVER let up in my battle against the LEFT. I will do everything that i can to get the RACIST Province of Quebec out of Canada, and to end the French Ethnocentric AFFIRMATIVE action policy within Canada that denies the 97% English Canadian MAJORITY (excluding Quebec) fair access to work in their own civil services, and hold senior ranks in Canada's military and the RCMP (National Police Force)."

there's more samples.

(1) Some people in English Canada have made statements denigrating Quebec over the last century or so; and

(2) Hatred of Quebec is widespread, uncontroversial, and commonly expressed today in English Canada.

When challenged for basically stating (2), you simply find some examples of (1). In this case a Wikipedia page no less, which suffers from the further problem of being unable to distinguish "criticism of particular policies and laws passed by the Quebec government" with "statements denigrating Quebec".  :lol:

If lots of people in Quebec are like viper, widespread of dislike of Quebec is not only understandable but expected.
I'm curious on how do you explain the widespread anti-americanism? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

viper37

there's more samples.

So, because I don't know anyone near me who dislike jews, anti-semetism is not real?  Because it never came up as a topic during family dinner means it's a myth?
Good to know...

Afaik, we've talked about it before.  No matter the level of evidence, no matter where it comes from (be it from a respectable Quebec journalist, a Commissionner to the Official Language, a Wikipedia page), you will always deny it because you haven't seen it yourself.  Duh.  I guess even Stephen Harper is a liar by your standard, when he criticized Jane Wong for her stupid comments.  Comments in a national newspaper that were okayed before publishing and were defended by the media.

I'd hate to see a respectable Quebec newspaper (well, respectable might be going to far, but let's settle for "widely read") publishing stuff like that about English Canada.  You have an obscure website like Vigile.net publishing some idiotic comment and B'nai Brith goes apeshit with lawsuits and press conference to denounce it.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 21, 2016, 09:14:27 AM
Joe Paterno plus the 100,000 people that honor him.

As Cato would say, "Happy Valley delenda est"
I never knew Cato was such a genius.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps