News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Commute.

Started by mongers, September 18, 2016, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delirium

About 5 km tram or bus ride through the city with a walk at both ends takes 30-35 minutes door to door. Been biking a lot lately and can make it in 23 minutes.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Monoriu

A bit surprised that so many people commute by cycling.  This is quite impossible in Hong Kong.  There are very few cycling lanes in the urban areas, and no where to park the bicycles in the buildings. 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 20, 2016, 02:46:42 AM
A bit surprised that so many people commute by cycling.  This is quite impossible in Hong Kong.  There are very few cycling lanes in the urban areas, and no where to park the bicycles in the buildings.

There's a whole different world out there, isn't there.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

When I moved to tokyo briefly I pretty much stopped cycling. Parking bikes is as bad as parking cars there.  Costs money too.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2016, 07:04:37 AM
When I moved to tokyo briefly I pretty much stopped cycling. Parking bikes is as bad as parking cars there.  Costs money too.

I told us some of your adventures on them.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

It's anything between 30-1 hour drive one way, heavily depends on traffic, but usually around 40 minutes.

I enjoy driving, plus its a great time to blast music really loud or listen to an audio book, so I don't mind it at all.

lustindarkness

This school year my daughter is at a school about two miles away from last years, but the location is such it adds like 15 minutes to get out of town and on the interstate, which in turn translates to at least another 30 minutes of traffic since by then there are more assholes on the way to work. :(

Next year the new school been built is in a better location to get out of town.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2016, 07:21:01 AM
It's anything between 30-1 hour drive one way, heavily depends on traffic, but usually around 40 minutes.

I enjoy driving, plus its a great time to blast music really loud or listen to an audio book, so I don't mind it at all.

The driving not so much after a certain point, but yeah, I throw full-on concerts, lol
I've done the work-at-home thing at various stages in life, but it drove me nuts.  Once in a while is OK, I could even get with once a week, but I don't like work life crossing over into my home life any more than necessary.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Monoriu on September 20, 2016, 02:46:42 AM

You could do it here but riding around near traffic here, bike lanes or not, feels very unsafe.  They do have some trails that crisscross the city though that I know people use as part of their commutes, which is interesting: 

http://www.sanantonio.gov/portals/0/files/parks/pdf/GreenwayTrailMap.pdf

Once they get it finished up there in the north, and given enough time, I could ride from my house (on the NW side up nearish where it says "Prue") to the Ft Sam Houston area (I see no reason to go to the end of that trail, since from what I know, it's just some neighborhoods) with minimal time spend on the street dodging cars.  It's like 20 miles by car, which is fairly direct, so that's a pretty good ride going around the city like that.   If I worked at UTSA I could easily use that.  It goes right there, and there's an entrance to the trails right around the corner from my house.

Tamas

People who commute on bicycle in the Surrey countryside are foolishly brave, and very inconsiderate. The roads are jammed packed with cars, and narrow. The only saving grace is this isn't Hungary, so people are not doing suicidal overtakes all the time. Lotsa' people would die otherwise.

But 3+ cars following a cyclist dressed like Armstrong, sweating to do 10 miles per hour uphill because there is too much opposite traffic to overtake, is a common sight.

Then of course at red lights the bike guy pushes up to the front of the queue so we all have to do the whole dance all over again.

KRonn

My three mile commute has remained the same. It gets lighter during the summer with school being out, and vacations lessening traffic. I just have one stop light to go through on a two lane highway which is usually about a ten minute wait, sometimes longer. (I go home for lunch every day, nice break, catch up on news, water my garden, etc.) But I won't be doing even that small commute after the end of October as I'm retiring.   :)

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on September 20, 2016, 01:33:43 PM
My three mile commute has remained the same. It gets lighter during the summer with school being out, and vacations lessening traffic. I just have one stop light to go through on a two lane highway which is usually about a ten minute wait, sometimes longer. (I go home for lunch every day, nice break, catch up on news, water my garden, etc.) But I won't be doing even that small commute after the end of October as I'm retiring.   :)

Woohoo!  Good for you KRonn!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on September 20, 2016, 01:33:43 PM
But I won't be doing even that small commute after the end of October as I'm retiring.   :)
already?  wow! :)  Congrats! :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Thanks!  :)  I'll be 64 this year and for me it's just time. At least to leave my current job and in a while maybe get a part time job, but "no heavy" lifting mentally or physically.  I'm done with the grind.  I've been wanting to retire for a while but waited it out for a while. At my work place they're going through a lot of heavy work, project after project and computer system upgrades coming up. Too much for what I want to do now. So that adds into my choosing to retire at this time.

Monoriu

Quote from: KRonn on September 20, 2016, 07:11:49 PM
Thanks!  :)  I'll be 64 this year and for me it's just time. At least to leave my current job and in a while maybe get a part time job, but "no heavy" lifting mentally or physically.  I'm done with the grind.  I've been wanting to retire for a while but waited it out for a while. At my work place they're going through a lot of heavy work, project after project and computer system upgrades coming up. Too much for what I want to do now. So that adds into my choosing to retire at this time.

So what tools do you use to calculate if you have enough money to retire? :unsure: