News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Commute.

Started by mongers, September 18, 2016, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

About 8 minutes by bike since August, it's fantastic. I can never go back to a real commute  :(

By contrast, the first half of the year was 2 x 1 hour and 3 x 3 hours a week (one way), which sucked. A lot.

Maladict

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2016, 06:18:30 PM
Moving to Santa Cruz California.  That box under the overpass will cost me 2100 a month and it still won't allow pets.

Did you ever take that bike trip over the mountains?

Gups

60-70 minutes door to door. I work in the worst possible place in central London to get to from my house. On the plus side I get a fair bit of reading done.

celedhring

I work at home, so it's about the 30 seconds from my bed to my studio. However, once a week I have a meeting in Barcelona and it's about 90 minutes commute door to door.

My longest commute was when I was an on-set writer in a TV show in Madrid, and the soundstage was 40 km away from town, without a direct mass transit connection. It took me almost two hours and a half to get there. Fortunately, early during production they added a van that picked up the crew, which cut down travel time to one hour. 

Syt

Oh yeah, my longest commute was during the office training part of my public administration training.

10 minutes to bus station
45 minutes to train station
45 minutes by train
15 minutes by foot

:D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Archy

Daily 1hour for 19km.

5 minutes foot to bus stop
45 minutes on bus
5 minutes walk to work

With the car I would do it with ten minutes less in the evenings and in the mornings it could be longer, since the bus has a dedicated lane for the longest part of my drive. Nice moment to read my books.
With the bike It would be the same. BUt I don't fancy to drive a bike along the shortest route which is a big and busy road even though there's a seperate bike line.
The health benefit of the bike ride would be undone than by the fine particles emissions by the traffice next to me.

FunkMonk

If the metro is working well, about 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back. Usually though, the delays lengthen it to 45 minutes. The metro is just a block over from my apartment and work is across the street from the closest metro entrance so walking is minimal.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2016, 04:37:46 PM
What's the state of your commute, has it gotten better or worsen over time?

2.5 miles/16 minutes to work, which is mostly downhill, 2.5 miles/21 minutes back home, which is mostly uphill.

Gosh, I'm going to say worse, since I used to own a car, and lived 2000 feet from my office.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2016, 04:37:46 PM
What's the state of your commute, has it gotten better or worsen over time?

What has been your longest routine commute to a regular place of work?

unchanged.  Still a few seconds from my bedroom to the office.

Lots of traffic in town though, more than usual.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

katmai

My last job was in Fairbanks so commute of 360 miles?  Or the commute from hotel to shooting location? Or commute to remote villages every saturday?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on September 19, 2016, 02:07:30 PM
My last job was in Fairbanks so commute of 360 miles?  Or the commute from hotel to shooting location? Or commute to remote villages every saturday?

I think that counts more as business travel than a commute.

I used to have to routinely travel 1-2 hours each way for court on average three times per week, but I don't think of that as "commuting".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on September 19, 2016, 02:07:30 PM
Or commute to remote villages every saturday?

Do you trade them for furs so your seed does not die?  Bring them KFC carry-out so their hatred burns less bright, La Longue Camerabine?

Grey Fox

30 km round trip that takes ~50mins then I'm home for ~35mins & I go pickup the children a ~16km round trip that takes another 50mins.

I use the time home to start dinner & shower.

The overall time hasn't changed even if my work place moved 2 years ago.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Quote from: Maladict on September 19, 2016, 01:37:13 AM
Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2016, 06:18:30 PM
Moving to Santa Cruz California.  That box under the overpass will cost me 2100 a month and it still won't allow pets.

Did you ever take that bike trip over the mountains?

I rode up the mountain and back down, I never did the over to the other side then back over trip - I was waiting for Mongers to make it out...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Maybe 30 or 40 minutes all going well. If I miss a train it goes up to an hour or more.
I hate mornings.
██████
██████
██████