News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your Commute.

Started by mongers, September 18, 2016, 04:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What's the state of your commute, has it gotten better or worsen over time?

What has been your longest routine commute to a regular place of work?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Takes about 8 seconds to walk from the bed to my computer.

Longest commute was probably 30 minutes each way.

MadBurgerMaker

Eh, takes me about 15 minutes each way right now.

My longest commute was when I lived in Fallbrook, CA and worked at the base in Point Loma.  Right around 60 miles on I-15.  Took at least 1.5-2 hours due to traffic.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2016, 04:42:53 PM
Takes about 8 seconds to walk from the bed to my computer.

Longest commute was probably 30 minutes each way.

So bucking the trend in the continent sized US.

I've also done the 10-15 second trip to a pc.

Longest commute a 75 mile round trip drive. 

Liep

~8 minutes from my apartment to the coffee machine at work.

Longest commute was 30 minutes biking to the post office at 6 am, I prefer my current situation.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

It sucks. I leave really early in the morning so I can avoid the traffic but the trip home every day sucks ass. 45 minutes when I go straight home, 1+ hours when I have to pick up Henry from day care. Everybody else in my house has a less than 10 minute commute by car though so it is a sacrifice I have to make.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

An hour to work on a good day, usually closer to an hour and twenty minutes now that school has started, in the morning. 
Roughly ninety minutes to two hours for the ride home, depending on how many people refuse to stop texting on the way home and crash into somebody's ass.
If it's raining, add more time.
80 miles round trip a day.

derspiess

About 20 seconds to get to the fridge, grab an energy drink, and proceed to the basement.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Lately 1h05 min by public transportation. Not the longest I had, something like 1h30 is the record I believe :(
Current is from downtown to a business park near Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport. It's only temporary though.
I haven't had a major transportation system screwup on a work day in a while though.

PDH

For the next week it is 5 minute bike to work.

After that, who knows?  I will likely be living in a cardboard box under an overpass somewhere.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on September 18, 2016, 05:37:06 PM
For the next week it is 5 minute bike to work.

After that, who knows?  I will likely be living in a cardboard box under an overpass somewhere.

:cool: ?

Because I'm not so far from a tent in a forest myself.  :)

PDH

Moving to Santa Cruz California.  That box under the overpass will cost me 2100 a month and it still won't allow pets.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Current commute is about 7 miles;  takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Longest was back in WV when I lived in Oak Hill and worked in Charleston.  About 60 miles;  I could make it in an hour (it was almost all interstates) but usually took about 90 minutes (the short part of the drive after getting off the interstate at Charleston was pretty congested, and the short part on the other end was a narrow, curvy country road).

Savonarola

About five minutes from my house to the office.   :)

Longest commute was an hour and a quarter each way from Detroit to Lansing, but I only had to do that twice a week.  I loved the Lansing office, but I hated that commute.  In those days our office manager in Detroit had become so extraordinarily petty that the office coffee pots were forbidden.  He forbade us from even having a "Coffee Club" where employees would chip in to buy the coffee and maintain the pots.  We didn't even have an office manager in Lansing; and the coffee flowed like a bitter black river.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on September 18, 2016, 07:25:14 PM
About five minutes from my house to the office.   :)

Longest commute was an hour and a quarter each way from Detroit to Lansing, but I only had to do that twice a week.  I loved the Lansing office, but I hated that commute.  In those days our office manager in Detroit had become so extraordinarily petty that the office coffee pots were forbidden.  He forbade us from even having a "Coffee Club" where employees would chip in to buy the coffee and maintain the pots.  We didn't even have an office manager in Lansing; and the coffee flowed like a bitter black river.

Oddly at the end of my longest commute, we also had a very petty office manager, he also smelt.