News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Moving to Georgia today.

Started by Queequeg, September 16, 2016, 04:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

You can gues which one.

Spending a year there.  Teaching English.   Going to apply to PhD programs.  Wish me luck.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

If you're going to teach English, I guess it's Georgia, USA then. have fun.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on September 16, 2016, 04:06:21 PM
If you're going to teach English, I guess it's Georgia, USA then. have fun.

Yeah, QuQu just remember to talk real slow and real loud, you should then do fine; but don't, whatever you do, mention the war (internal). 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

I understand Fulton County Detention Center has a fabulous continental spread on Sundays.

Habbaku

I'll buy you a Dawgs jersey to help you blend in.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

You might want to learn some russian so you can explain to the soldiers that you are not the enemy when they move into tblisi.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
You might want to learn some russian so you can explain to the soldiers that you are not the enemy when they move into tblisi.

Russians or Rednecks, rock and a hard place, no?  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2016, 04:31:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2016, 04:27:37 PM

Russians or Rednecks, rock and a hard place, no?  :P

Georgia (US State) is a great place to live. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grinning_Colossus

Teach and Learn with Georgia, or did you make your own arrangements?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 16, 2016, 05:59:23 PM

Yup. How did you know?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Queequeg on September 16, 2016, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 16, 2016, 05:59:23 PM

Yup. How did you know?

I spent two years in Georgia (2011-13) as a Peace Corps volunteer and knew several TLGs--it's the most popular English teaching program. From what I recall, their Georgian language training wasn't the best. I have no idea whether it's improved since. Pm me your e-mail and I can send you the Peace Corps language textbook.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Queequeg

HVC

Why Georgia? Did you meet a pretty Georgian girl or some,thing?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.