8 (18.2%)
Colin who?
12 (27.3%)
An overrated option QB:  NCAA legs, no NFL arm
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 15, 2016, 08:26:01 AM
When it's the national team playing sure, it's suitable, but in a regular league game between clubs? What's the point?

It was a reminder, during WWII, that we are all actually on the same team. And since the war lasted for awhile, and was quickly followed up by another long war in Korea, the tradition stuck. And besides it is kind of a nice tradition in that context.

Though these days we often have lots of foreigners playing in club sports so maybe it is more for the fans to be reminded of that :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2016, 08:29:54 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 15, 2016, 08:26:35 AM
No matter what you think about him, his protest has had the best possible effect from his perspective. It has raised awareness of the issue, forced people to start talking about it, and triggered a wave of similar protests among his peers.

Sad that that is the best possible effect. I would hope the best possible effect would be actual reforms.

It's been two weeks or so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

kaepernick is a football player, not an experienced political activist with a seven-point plan. he managed to do something very simple that sent a big message. of course his words weren't perfect or sterilized. he throws balls as career

Berkut

I don't agree with his position, but I can respect the fact that he was willing to risk his cushy position to use what leverage he has to make a statement that he thought is important.

0 rows returned

Valmy

It is probably the activists' fault now that you mention it. They don't put together concrete programs to fight for so why should people like Kaepernick? Sure a statement was made but it was a statement that had been made pretty consistently ever since Ferguson. It is time to do something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2016, 08:41:56 AM
It is probably the activists' fault now that you mention it. They don't put together concrete programs to fight for so why should people like Kaepernick? Sure a statement was made but it was a statement that had been made pretty consistently ever since Ferguson. It is time to do something.

Agreed again. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

alfred russel

It is kind of bizarre that during high school, college, and the pros through 2014, he was a bona fide star, and no protests. Come 2016, and his career is in jeopardy, and he launches the protest.

I don't think this is self serving in any way whatsoever--the NFL is a supremely conservative league that doesn't like anything out of the ordinary, so this endangers his career. But the impact would have been much more if he was a super bowl starting QB.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2016, 08:31:58 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 15, 2016, 08:26:01 AM
When it's the national team playing sure, it's suitable, but in a regular league game between clubs? What's the point?

It was a reminder, during WWII, that we are all actually on the same team. And since the war lasted for awhile, and was quickly followed up by another long war in Korea, the tradition stuck. And besides it is kind of a nice tradition in that context.

Though these days we often have lots of foreigners playing in club sports so maybe it is more for the fans to be reminded of that :P

Is it a WWII tradition? I had no idea of that.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on September 15, 2016, 08:48:32 AM
Is it a WWII tradition? I had no idea of that.

Yep. The anthem was not played at sporting events before that. Well ok there were a few times it was played, famously during the 1918 World Series (our ever popular branding for our club baseball championship :P ) at one game. But it was not even the national anthem at the time, since we did not get one until 1931.

Berkut

But *he* can't do anything other than what he has done. He almost certainly agrees that something should have been done long ago.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 15, 2016, 08:54:09 AM

But *he* can't do anything other than what he has done. He almost certainly agrees that something should have been done long ago.

I doubt that's the case. We all really could do more. I don't think I've ever called my congressman about an issue or attended a local council meeting. He could easily make use of social media to call for something specific. General statements to draw attention, well what is that really accomplishing? Who isn't paying attention yet that is going to pay attention?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2016, 09:03:10 AM

I doubt that's the case. We all really could do more. I don't think I've ever called my congressman about an issue or attended a local council meeting. He could easily make use of social media to call for something specific. General statements to draw attention, well what is that really accomplishing? Who isn't paying attention yet that is going to pay attention?

Lots of people - this is getting plenty of discussion.

If he posted something on social media, I am sure you would all be here decrying what a vapid stance he is making, and how cheap it is to just bitch on facebook, rather than actually risking his career.

And yes, we could all do more. He could do more. He could quit. He could donate his entire salary to some worth organization. He could douse himself in gasoline and light himself on fire in the middle of the next game he is playing.

Whining about what someone DOES do because he could "do more" is fucking weak sauce. No matter what anyone does, they could "do more". If your complaint is that he doesn't do enough, why aren't you bitching at the 1000+ NFL players who did nothing at all? Aren't they worse than someone who did *something* even if it wasn't enough to meet your lofty standards?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2016, 08:22:09 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2016, 08:08:30 AM
Eh, just my personal experience.  I'm not about to lecture a black guy on how he should feel about a country that enslaved his ancestors.

I don't think it is really about that.

Never been black.  Don't know what it's like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 15, 2016, 10:26:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 15, 2016, 09:03:10 AM

Lots of people - this is getting plenty of discussion.

If he posted something on social media, I am sure you would all be here decrying what a vapid stance he is making, and how cheap it is to just bitch on facebook, rather than actually risking his career.

And yes, we could all do more. He could do more. He could quit. He could donate his entire salary to some worth organization. He could douse himself in gasoline and light himself on fire in the middle of the next game he is playing.

Whining about what someone DOES do because he could "do more" is fucking weak sauce. No matter what anyone does, they could "do more". If your complaint is that he doesn't do enough, why aren't you bitching at the 1000+ NFL players who did nothing at all? Aren't they worse than someone who did *something* even if it wasn't enough to meet your lofty standards?

I disagree, clearly. As I've already said making statements at this juncture seems...well pretty useless. Problems of policing and problems for black people receive so much coverage in the media already. If he wanted to do something meaningful then he should have done something meaningful.

I think, if anything, his stunt has been a distraction. At least for most of the past two weeks, the discussion was on whether or not what he did was appropriate. People weren't discussing/trying to act on solving the issues he was highlighting but rather discussing the superficial of what should be the reaction to his action.