News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Korean War

Started by mongers, September 11, 2016, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

.... Part Two?

Are we reaching a point were there is a very real possibility of a war breaking out on the Korean peninsula, either by design or accident?

At the weekend the South Korean media was full of reports that echo the tone of the bluster that usually come from the north, talk of levelling Pyongyang and a decapitation strike against the north's leadership.

So what do you think are the possibilities and likely events over the next few months?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I don't think a real war will break out.  The North is in no position to fight a full scale war.  They know this and won't press the button.  It is all bluff.  The South doesn't want to sacrifice thousands of people and spend the next few decades rebuilding the North from scratch.  And risk Chinese involvement.  They'll wait for the Kim dynasty to implode.  The most likely scenario is that some kind of coup or rebellion happens in the North, and the South will be forced will step in, if only to take care of the massive refugee problem.

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 11, 2016, 08:09:36 PM
I don't think a real war will break out.  The North is in no position to fight a full scale war.  They know this and won't press the button.  It is all bluff.  The South doesn't want to sacrifice thousands of people and spend the next few decades rebuilding the North from scratch.  And risk Chinese involvement.  They'll wait for the Kim dynasty to implode.  The most likely scenario is that some kind of coup or rebellion happens in the North, and the South will be forced will step in, if only to take care of the massive refugee problem.

Replace Kim dynasty with Austro-hungarian, The South with Russia, China with German etc. Mono, you get my drift right?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

The Kim regime will come to an end only when China decides that even they've had enough of their shit--but before things get to the point that the opportunity exists for the North to leave the red team and go blue, though.

Ed Anger

I assume Tim will be Napalmed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

By "assume" do you mean "hope"?   :)

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2016, 08:15:14 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 11, 2016, 08:09:36 PM

Replace Kim dynasty with Austro-hungarian, The South with Russia, China with German etc. Mono, you get my drift right?

Sounds expensive and impractical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2016, 07:38:40 PM
.... Part Two?

Are we reaching a point were there is a very real possibility of a war breaking out on the Korean peninsula, either by design or accident?

At the weekend the South Korean media was full of reports that echo the tone of the bluster that usually come from the north, talk of levelling Pyongyang and a decapitation strike against the north's leadership.

So what do you think are the possibilities and likely events over the next few months?
I sure hope not, I work less than 200 meters from the Sejong Government Complex
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

The South shall rise again.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

No. We've been here before.  Remember a decade ago the north said it was tearing up the cease fire. Nothing happened.
It's just typical nork bluster to try and extract more aid. By its nature they have to keep trying to up the ante
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 10:39:33 AM
No. We've been here before.  Remember a decade ago the north said it was tearing up the cease fire. Nothing happened.
It's just typical nork bluster to try and extract more aid. By its nature they have to keep trying to up the ante

A decade ago...hell, search Languish for all the ZOMG COULD IT BE: WARZ? threads.

And if intentionally sinking a ship isn't going to spark a military response, then shitty little launches and tests aren't, either.  The ROK has become it's own K-drama:  effeminate, non-threatening brooding angst.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 12:14:24 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 12, 2016, 10:39:33 AM

A decade ago...hell, search Languish for all the ZOMG COULD IT BE: WARZ? threads.

And if intentionally sinking a ship isn't going to spark a military response, then shitty little launches and tests aren't, either.  The ROK has become it's own K-drama:  effeminate, non-threatening brooding angst.
The politics of the issue have changed. The ROK would retaliate to a similar provocation today.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2016, 05:45:18 PM
The politics of the issue have changed. The ROK would retaliate to a similar provocation today.

I call bullshit.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2016, 06:00:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2016, 05:45:18 PM

I call bullshit.
I'm just saying what I've heard. The rhetoric from the politicians and the man on the street is different these days.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Over the years North Korea has bombed at least one plane, tried to assassinate the South Korean president, sunk at least one South Korean military ship, bombarded an island inhabited by civilians and caused more than one death, etc etc.  Can't remember any notable response or retaliation from South Korea.  I won't be surprised if the South Koreans are fed up with this and demand that their government take a more hardline response.