9/11 4:25 ET    NY Giants    -1    At Dallas    47
9/11 4:25 ET    At Indianapolis    -3    Detroit    50.5
9/11 8:30 ET    At Arizona    -7    New England    44

Monday Night Football Line

9/12 7:10 ET    Pittsburgh    -3    At Washington    50
9/12 10:20 ET    Los Angeles    -2.5    At San Francisco    43

QuoteNFL bracing for possible player National Anthem protests on 9/11
FOX News Barf feed

The National Football League is bracing for possible widespread player demonstrations during the national anthem at Sunday's opening games, in what would mark a high-profile escalation of a protest movement over concerns of racial injustice in America.

The games fall on the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, which the NFL plans to commemorate with appearances by military personnel, first responders and two U.S. presidents. That backdrop could further animate a fierce national debate set off last month by quarterback Colin Kaepernick's refusal to stand for the anthem.

Officials with the NFL Players Association, who have been providing its union members with guidance on what protests are prohibited under the labor agreement, expect that players on several teams may pursue some form of protest.

An official with one team said his organization had prepared a "response plan" for possible protests and expected that most other teams had done the same.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah said that players can't violate the dress code—for example, by writing on their helmets—and they can't interrupt the game. Apart from that, Mr. Atallah said, players can express themselves as they choose.

The league hasn't disciplined Mr. Kaepernick. NFL executive vice president of communications Joe Lockhart said the league has a "somewhat broader" view than the union of what players can and can't do but explained the league would work together with the NFLPA to deal with the behavior on a case-by-case basis. He said drawing up an exhaustive list of prohibited behaviors wouldn't make sense.

Mr. Kaepernick, the backup quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, first sat out The Star-Spangled Banner at an August preseason game, saying afterward: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." Since then, several players have joined Mr. Kaepernick in taking one knee for the anthem, a gesture that has been met with sympathy, solidarity and outrage from fans, commentators and teammates.

The response to Mr. Kaepernick's protest hasn't only highlighted national anxieties about policing in African-American communities, it has also put coaches and owners in the precarious position of trying to balance respect for players' political expression against broader public sentiment about the military and police.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

The genuises that run Clermont County Youth Football League decided to have Saturday *and* Sunday games this weekend.  m ccould have done it last week, or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago.  So I'm coaching a 2:30 game and filming a 3:45 game.  I'll be lucky to catch the second half of the late afternoon games.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Seahawks/Miami certainly both look like they're playing preseason football.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 11, 2016, 03:56:01 PM
Seahawks/Miami certainly both look like they're playing preseason football.

The Dolphins have looked like that pretty consistently for the last few years.

CountDeMoney

It's just not worth watching the Cowboys and goofing on them without Tony Romo around.  It's just so...joyless.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on September 11, 2016, 11:27:58 AM
The genuises that run Clermont County Youth Football League decided to have Saturday *and* Sunday games this weekend.  m ccould have done it last week, or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago.  So I'm coaching a 2:30 game and filming a 3:45 game.  I'll be lucky to catch the second half of the late afternoon games.

Are you not working with the bengals this year?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Girls looked sharp in the bit I watched.

WTF happened to Papa Doc's finger?  :wacko:

derspiess

I work for the league, and only at Bengals home games.  I have traveled with the team here & there in the past, but only in an emergency.  And occasionally I'll travel to an away game on my own dime to volunteer on the sideline.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Oh and btw in Tommy's game during the first series our star QB broke his forearm.  Not talking a small fracture-- a clean break.  He walked himself off the field holding his arm together with his other hand.  Defensive coach for the other team had to run to his own sideline to throw up.  Ugh.

Sophie Scholl

Gregg Easterbrook must have been smiling when the Raiders said "fuck conventional wisdom" and went for two to win the game instead of playing for the tie and overtime.  Not a good sign for the team when one of your bigger acquisitions on defense, Sean Smith, got torched so badly he was benched.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

MadBurgerMaker

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/775113180632666112

QuoteUpdating the old @CecilHurt stat. Wins at AT&T Stadium since beginning of '15 season:
Alabama - 3
Dallas Cowboys - 1

jimmy olsen

Garoppolo looked really good in the win .

Secondary not so much, however they were playing against Arizona so it's understandable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point