News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92

Started by merithyn, September 05, 2016, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2016, 10:27:29 AM
The man simply can't make a statement without referring to himself.

Yep.  Just like Obama.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

It appears you are true - in the world according to Trump everything is measured based on it's relationship to Trump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on September 06, 2016, 10:46:07 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 06, 2016, 10:44:12 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 06, 2016, 07:02:09 AM

Schlafly said that Nuclear weapons were a gift from God.

I don't agree, as I think it likely that at some point in the future the nukes are going to fly, but it isn't that crazy to think that.

:yes: Sky Santa is real.
Sea Santa is not. :(
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 01:40:00 PM

Yep.  Just like Obama.

Yeah, they are just alike.  For instance when Obama became President he put a big "O" on the side of the building.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

He spraypainted it.  It's what those people do, you know.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 07:10:57 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 01:40:00 PM

Yep.  Just like Obama.

Yeah, they are just alike.  For instance when Obama became President he put a big "O" on the side of the building.

Even had his office shaped like one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

I don't agree, as I think it likely that at some point in the future the nukes are going to fly, but it isn't that crazy to think that. There haven't been any major wars since multiple nuclear powers emerged.
Yeah, but that's like saying that you've never lost a game of Russian Roulette.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2016, 06:35:10 PM

I don't agree, as I think it likely that at some point in the future the nukes are going to fly, but it isn't that crazy to think that. There haven't been any major wars since multiple nuclear powers emerged.

Or rather nobody has lost a game of Russian Roulette.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 06:40:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2016, 06:35:10 PM

Cal did. His gun fell apart.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

No, that changes the meaning.  The point is there is a survivorship bias in saying such a thing.  Had there been a major war in the last 60 years, we wouldn't be around to say that "yes, there has indeed been a major war since nukes were invented".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2016, 06:54:39 PM
No, that changes the meaning.  The point is there is a survivorship bias in saying such a thing.  Had there been a major war in the last 60 years, we wouldn't be around to say that "yes, there has indeed been a major war since nukes were invented".

Yes, it does change the meaning.  The US is hardly the only one to build nuclear weapons, there are several nuclear powers.  So there are several players playing the game and none of them have died.  I should point out that a nuclear war wouldn't kill everyone, not everyone in Japan died when the US waged nuclear war on that country.

In Russian Roulette we know a person will shoot themselves after X number of rounds.  This is a mathematical certainty, and is born out in real life.  Many people have died doing this.  It is not true with a nuclear weapon.  There is no absolute certainty that they will be used.  The situation is closer to say, owning a pistol.  The pistol may never be used, and certainly won't necessarily result in the death of the owner.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on September 07, 2016, 06:54:39 PM

So you don't think a deterrent effect has been functioning the past 60 years to make a major war unlikely?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Surely quite a few Russian Roulette losers have survived?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2016, 07:35:08 PM
Yes, it does change the meaning.  The US is hardly the only one to build nuclear weapons, there are several nuclear powers.  So there are several players playing the game and none of them have died. 
The player is the entire world.
QuoteIn Russian Roulette we know a person will shoot themselves after X number of rounds.  This is a mathematical certainty, and is born out in real life.
Not if you spin the drum after every round.  It's a damn near certainty, but not a mathematical one.