Here's how to talk to women wearing headphones – without being an idiot

Started by garbon, August 31, 2016, 10:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

My whole thing is based on the weird/creepy things the original article was saying, and things that other actual females have said, either random people on-line or real people I know.

In the bookstore hypothetical:

Gal looking at book I really liked and wearing headphones; she appears to go out of her way to ignore or not acknowledge my existence:  I do the same and ignore her.  No matter how attractive she is or no matter how much I like the book in question.

Gal looking at book I really like and wearing headphones; there is some sort of 'connection", eye contact/smile something:  I would do something to start a conversation.  Point at the book and give a thumb's up; say something like "that's really good" maybe in an exaggerated way so she can read my lips.  If she wants to have a conversation she would likely take off her headphones.  If she doesn't I will assume she isn't interested and go back to ignoring her.

Gal looking at book I really like and not wearing headphones:  start up a conversation immediately,

Under no circumstances would I do the things that the original article is saying:  get within 1-1.5 meters, wave your hand directly in her field of view, signal for her to take off her headphones.  Those all strike me as very stalker-ish and where I used "force yourself" into her personal space.  She will most likely know you are there before you need to do any of those, much less all of them; if she still hasn't acknowledged your presence it is because she doesn't want to talk to you, not because she is oblivious to your awesomeness and needs help to see it.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on September 01, 2016, 11:57:01 AM
Under no circumstances would I do the things that the original article is saying:  get within 1-1.5 meters, wave your hand directly in her field of view, signal for her to take off her headphones.  Those all strike me as very stalker-ish and where I used "force yourself" into her personal space.  She will most likely know you are there before you need to do any of those, much less all of them; if she still hasn't acknowledged your presence it is because she doesn't want to talk to you, not because she is oblivious to your awesomeness and needs help to see it.

Well that is true. What women told me: to go ahead and approach them, be friendly and casual and strike up a conversation.

But we can all agree those lists are stupid. Popular culture is really shockingly horrible at giving good dating/relationship advice. I guess the fact that this article counters that by instead of giving good advice but instead going off on a tirade about all that is evil is just more of the same.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Fuck, people.  Just leave other people alone.  Especially when they are occupied with something else. Goddamn.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 12:05:02 PM
Fuck, people.  Just leave other people alone.  Especially when they are occupied with something else. Goddamn.

Some of us enjoy human contact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 12:07:37 PM

Some of you obviously have no consideration for others, either.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 12:10:47 PM

Meh. If you go out in public in Texas people are going to talk to you. Because we are not hateful East Coasters.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2016, 12:13:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2016, 12:10:47 PM

Meh. If you go out in public in Texas people are going to talk to you. Because we are not hateful East Coasters.

Why would a person be in Texas?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus