News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Started by Caliga, August 29, 2016, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Such a great actor. One of the funniest comedians ever.

I saw the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so many times as a kid. It was my Dad's favorite movie.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Damn, a great comic actor.  :(

Not sure why the BBC is billing him as the star of Willy Wonka, as I think that's a lesser film compared to The Producers, Blazing Saddle or his work with Mel Brooks or Richard Prior. s
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2016, 02:44:59 PM
He retired in either the late 80s or early 90s it seems like. I could be wrong but I have not seen him in anything since then. It is nice when a great artist dies decades after they were relevant. As one should.

He said he had pretty much checked out from Hollywood--said films simply had far too much unnecessary profanity, violence....and just bad.  Just didnt want to work in that environment.

Said he still got roughly a dozen or so letters a day from fans about Willy Wonka, how much it meant to them.  All ages.

Really good interview from 2012, covers a lot of ground.  Explains how he was Mel Brooks' 3rd or 4th choice for Blazing Saddles, took an overnight flight to be there the next day after Gig Young got the DTs.  :lol:
http://youtu.be/ezfVc5MGmIU

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on August 29, 2016, 06:32:57 PM
Not sure why the BBC is billing him as the star of Willy Wonka, as I think that's a lesser film compared to The Producers, Blazing Saddle or his work with Mel Brooks or Richard Prior. s

Because generations of children grew up seeing him there first, you cynical cyclist.  Cycling cynic.  Butthead.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 29, 2016, 06:47:40 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 29, 2016, 06:32:57 PM

Because generations of children grew up seeing him there first, you cynical cyclist.  Cycling cynic.  Butthead.

I appreciate the effort, sadly cynic isn't in my repertoire.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

I remember his brilliant use of character development in The Producers.  It was the first time I'd seen him, and his wimpy act at the beginning seemed irredeemable, but the show saw him slow change into the cheerful, optimistic con man by the end, and I realized i'd seen Zero Mostel himself upstaged.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on August 29, 2016, 09:37:32 PM
I realized i'd seen Zero Mostel himself upstaged.

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, Gene Wilder had a knack for shallow-to-rich character portrayals: the zany chocolatier hell-bent on continuing his legacy, going from comic relief as a washed-up gunslinger to the chief enforcer of the town, the vacationing surgeon trying to nurture as well as create life, etc.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on August 29, 2016, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: Caliga on August 29, 2016, 03:18:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 29, 2016, 02:58:00 PM
How do you figure? :hmm:

Granted maybe a movie can be gay without two adult males of age meeting at any point during the film :P
It's colorful and whimsical, there are lots of song and dance numbers, and the Oompa-Loompas.  Come on, you know those dudes are gay.

It's not colorful and whimsical.  It's creepy and depressing.

The movie bothered me as a kid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

NPR reaired an interview from 2005(?).  Didn't know Gene had a co-writer credit on Young Frankenstein.

Duque de Bragança

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 30, 2016, 12:42:46 PM
NPR reaired an interview from 2005(?).  Didn't know Gene had a co-writer credit on Young Frankenstein.

I watched the link Seedy posted last night (tough watch - in hindsight you could tell he was struggling with his memory).  It was actually Wilder's idea for the movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.