Main Menu

Night clubs

Started by Josquius, August 27, 2016, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2016, 07:39:17 AM
Who needs night clubs when you have tinder and grindr? :P
Yep.

I always think of that John Cage line, 'we live in a time I think not of mainstream, but of many streams, or even, if you insist upon a river of time, that we have come to a delta, maybe even beyond delta to an ocean which is going back to the skies.' I think this generation is one that is, perhaps because it's always had the internet, niche by nature. Everyone has specific interests and tastes that they've always been able to access and they'll do that on their nights out too. So a big, sort-of one size fits all club is going to be less useful. There's no contradiction in liking, listening to and wanting to go to contemporary classical, folk and Rihanna any more.

Similarly I was speaking to someone recently about how we couldn't really think of any moans about artists selling out any more. There may be a bit of kudos for liking them first and you may go off them if they become too big, but I think because there is no mainstream any more there's far less need to rail or identify yourself against it like there probably was in the 80s and 90s. As I say hipsters with the most obscure musical tastes now pride themselves on how up to date they keep with, say, Beyonce's catalogue as well as their Pitchfork curated vinyl collection.

Quote*It's also difficult to explain with sign language that you don't do anal and are not all that crazy about blowjobs either. :P
Yeah. I mean it's difficult to explain with verbal language so.... :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

*It's also difficult to explain with sign language that you don't do anal and are not all that crazy about blowjobs either. :P

Just sign that you're a pussy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2016, 07:58:20 AM
Yep.

I always think of that John Cage line, 'we live in a time I think not of mainstream, but of many streams, or even, if you insist upon a river of time, that we have come to a delta, maybe even beyond delta to an ocean which is going back to the skies.' I think this generation is one that is, perhaps because it's always had the internet, niche by nature. Everyone has specific interests and tastes that they've always been able to access and they'll do that on their nights out too. So a big, sort-of one size fits all club is going to be less useful. There's no contradiction in liking, listening to and wanting to go to contemporary classical, folk and Rihanna any more.

Similarly I was speaking to someone recently about how we couldn't really think of any moans about artists selling out any more. There may be a bit of kudos for liking them first and you may go off them if they become too big, but I think because there is no mainstream any more there's far less need to rail or identify yourself against it like there probably was in the 80s and 90s. As I say hipsters with the most obscure musical tastes now pride themselves on how up to date they keep with, say, Beyonce's catalogue as well as their Pitchfork curated vinyl collection.

Yeah. But the fact that there is no mainstream also means there is no counter-culture. I am still not sure if it is a good thing.
Quote*It's also difficult to explain with sign language that you don't do anal and are not all that crazy about blowjobs either. :P
Yeah. I mean it's difficult to explain with verbal language so.... :P

That's why my ideal dating environment are websites with filters featuring several multiple-choice questions. :P

CountDeMoney

Stupid technology.  You know, once upon a time, it took true prowess and skill to peel a drunken chick away from her herd of friends to take her home for the night.

Now? The lack of buffalo weighs heavily on the hearts of the Sioux.

Lettow77

"Night Clubs" by their very name conjure images of sin and indecency.  Once, under false pretenses in the town of Fukuoka, I found myself entering one. I had at the time a much worse grasp of Japanese, and had been a passive traveller among acquaintances. Sitting and drinking with friends is a respectable activity, but the room to which I was lead flashed with lights and the gyrations of degeneracy. The proprietors of this establishment had even gone to the trouble of importing a black man to oversee their music, for reasons that can only be speculated at.

I left at once, alone, and found myself wandering the red-light district of Nakasu. The ladies of the evening earnestly staining their bodies with sin in exchange for spending money seemed much less depraved by comparison.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2016, 09:04:11 AM

Stupid technology.  You know, once upon a time, it took true prowess and skill to peel a drunken chick away from her herd of friends to take her home for the night.

For gays it doesn't matter - it has always been easy but at least now you can specify your expectations in more detail. Anyway, as Quentin Crisp put it, sex is just a poor substitute for masturbation. :P

CountDeMoney

You people fuck in the frozen food aisle.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2016, 09:28:40 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2016, 09:04:11 AM

For gays it doesn't matter - it has always been easy but at least now you can specify your expectations in more detail. Anyway, as Quentin Crisp put it, sex is just a poor substitute for masturbation. :P

I don't see how that applies to good sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2016, 09:29:33 AM

I don't understand why your habit of sucking cocks in the frozen food becomes an indictment of the wider gay population.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2016, 07:30:56 AM
They're failing in the UK and the US:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/not-going-out-why-millennials-are-no-longer-going-to-night-clubs-10449036.html

I don't think I know anyone who really goes out to nightclubs any more, apart from the occasional gay club.

That being said I don't think I ever hooked up for sex at a night club - I find the experience too undignifying*. But many of my friends did.

*It's also difficult to explain with sign language that you don't do anal and are not all that crazy about blowjobs either. :P

You could probably just tell people you don't like sex - you just wanna cuddle and do foot stuff. Maybe make a sign.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2016, 07:30:56 AM
They're failing in the UK and the US:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/not-going-out-why-millennials-are-no-longer-going-to-night-clubs-10449036.html

I don't think I know anyone who really goes out to nightclubs any more, apart from the occasional gay club.
Sadly I never seem to meet these people.

This made me smile. Charlie Brooker on night clubs:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2007/aug/13/fashion.comment
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2016, 10:39:02 AM

I don't understand why your habit of sucking cocks in the frozen food becomes an indictment of the wider gay population.

Don't get bitchy with me because you people have the libidos of tsetse flies, Margaret.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2016, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2016, 10:39:02 AM

Don't get bitchy with me because you people have the libidos of tsetse flies, Margaret.

I think Marti shows a credible path of someone pretending to be gay. Witness his quasi-homosexual tendencies on full display.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2016, 11:03:48 AM
I think Marti shows a credible path of someone pretending to be gay. Witness his quasi-homosexual tendencies on full display.

Marti--despite his rejection of them--is still heavily influenced by Catholicism and Polish family-centered values, and is at heart a serial monogamist.