The Burkini Ban

Started by Josephus, August 26, 2016, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2016, 02:04:30 PM
You are going to ride that weasel all the way down, aren't you?  :lol:

Maybe?  :sleep:

Razgovory

I'm no longer clear who Grumbler is insulting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2016, 02:12:41 PM

Seems like grumbler temporarily took your side!  :w00t:

Eddie Teach

The grumbler Raz Alliance frightens me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM
There are religious Jewish sects in Quebec.  They were forced to flee in Ontaria, and later in South American due to persecution from authorities.  Kids were beaten, starved, educated in strict religious morals, seperated from their parents, all in the name of God.
Lots of people called the province racist for that.  Unfair persecution of religious people.

SNIP

Religion is private, that's it.  It has no place in a courtroom, it has no place in the army, it has no place in the city counsel, it has no place on the beach.  Worship who you want.  Believe what you want.  Attend the religious service you want when you want.  Fast or feast as you want.  But respect the rights of others to not share your beliefs.

Not sure there's a comparison between Lev Tahor which fled Canada because they were being investigated for, among other things, child abuse; and a woman wanting to wear a modest bathing suit
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

WEASELS!!!  Cool!

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 09:40:40 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:37:57 AM
his followers are.  I'm not concerned about Trump, I am about the people following and immitating him.

Not necessarily. His two yugest fans on this board are not religious at all.

I'm possibly the most religious regular or semi-regular poster here, and I detest the man.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2016, 02:17:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2016, 02:12:41 PM

Seems like grumbler temporarily took your side!  :w00t:

I take on the post, not the poster.  If someone says something silly about a Raz post, I won't hesitate to call it silly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on August 26, 2016, 05:35:00 PM
I'm possibly the most religious regular or semi-regular poster here, and I detest the man.

None of my religious friends or family are fans of his.  I am sure that some of his fans are religious, but they aren't fans because they are religious.

Religious people supporting the non-religious candidates reminds me of Rep. Charlie Wilson.  He was always getting into trouble over his sexual escapades, and always got the religious vote in his district because he freely confessed his sins and promised to do better.  He used to crush genuinely religious opponents in the religious vote because his opponents didn't have anything to forgive, and those voters loved to forgive.

That was one crafty dude.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a great cartoonist commentary to this controversy:

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2016, 02:24:51 AM
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's a great cartoonist commentary to this controversy:

The idea that men are the ones imposing clothing choices like this on women is really a feminist lie. In most studies, women are far more pro-modesty than men (think intrasexual competition). In Iran for example, slightly more women support the veil than men. In the West, far more men are pro "free the nipple" than men.

Martinus

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 27, 2016, 03:26:53 AM

The idea that men are the ones imposing clothing choices like this on women is really a feminist lie. In most studies, women are far more pro-modesty than men (think intrasexual competition). In Iran for example, slightly more women support the veil than men. In the West, far more men are pro "free the nipple" than men.

If this is the case, then the burkini ban makes even less sense.

Solmyr

You don't think this has something to do with how girls are brought up in our culture? "Be modest, be a good wife/mother, don't be a slut". In other words, behave in ways that will please men.

Martinus

Quote from: Solmyr on August 27, 2016, 06:33:01 AM

You don't think this has something to do with how girls are brought up in our culture? "Be modest, be a good wife/mother, don't be a slut". In other words, behave in ways that will please men.

Not just in our culture. At least I'd hope our culture is better on this than many others.