News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Burkini Ban

Started by Josephus, August 26, 2016, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:37:57 AM
his followers are.  I'm not concerned about Trump, I am about the people following and immitating him.

Not necessarily. His two yugest fans on this board are not religious at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2016, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:23:07 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2016, 08:38:25 AM
Surprised there's no Languish ruling on this.

My take: this is nothing but a racist, anti-Muslim decree masquerading as Pro-Female, Pro Secularism.

Honestly, on the beaches of France, for decades, anything goes. You want to wear a piece of cloth that barely covers your clit, fine. No problem. But wait.....you want to cover your whole body....Outrageous.
you shouldn't use the beach to make a political statement, just like you'll get fined for having sex on a public beach.

Why should we allow the ennemy to spread its propaganda here?  Secularism is the dam that protects democracy and it's under attack from within as well as without.

Where do you draw the line then. If  a guy wears a Speedo with a Star of David on it, should that be banned. if a woman with a disfigurement wants to cover her body, should she be told not to.

Again, just like Barrister, you bring physical disabilities in the mix with religion.  It has no links whatsoever.  You can abandon a religion, you can change religion, you can't remove your physical disability.

It's not about making a point at a beach. I'm sure that wasn't the intention.
You should read a little more about extremism and how it's spread.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM

Religion is private, that's it.  It has no place in a courtroom, it has no place in the army, it has no place in the city counsel, it has no place on the beach.  Worship who you want.  Believe what you want.  Attend the religious service you want when you want.  Fast or feast as you want.  But respect the rights of others to not share your beliefs.

It must really chap your ass that the guy currently in charge of the army wears a Turban.  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harjit_Sajjan
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 09:40:40 AM
his followers are.  I'm not concerned about Trump, I am about the people following and immitating him.

In a country where there's 10% atheists/agnostics, they're all on board with Trump? ;)
In a party dominated by religion, the supporters of Trump would be the less religious ones?
In various vox pop, when you hear people justifying their position on various issues by what God's wants or what the Bible says, that would be a simple coincidence that they happen to support Trump?
I have doubts.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:41:07 AM

My take: this is nothing but a racist, anti-Muslim decree masquerading as Pro-Female, Pro Secularism.

Honestly, on the beaches of France, for decades, anything goes. You want to wear a piece of cloth that barely covers your clit, fine. No problem. But wait.....you want to cover your whole body....Outrageous.
you shouldn't use the beach to make a political statement, just like you'll get fined for having sex on a public beach.

Why should we allow the ennemy to spread its propaganda here?  Secularism is the dam that protects democracy and it's under attack from within as well as without.

Where do you draw the line then. If  a guy wears a Speedo with a Star of David on it, should that be banned. if a woman with a disfigurement wants to cover her body, should she be told not to.

Again, just like Barrister, you bring physical disabilities in the mix with religion.  It has no links whatsoever.  You can abandon a religion, you can change religion, you can't remove your physical disability.

I wonder if you know how irrational you sound with all of these non sequiturs.  I suppose that, if you had an actual argument to make and some logic or evidence to support that argument, you would make it and support it.  As it is, your arguments sound like bumper-sticker slogans and logic and evidence are completely absent.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2016, 09:44:15 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM

Religion is private, that's it.  It has no place in a courtroom, it has no place in the army, it has no place in the city counsel, it has no place on the beach.  Worship who you want.  Believe what you want.  Attend the religious service you want when you want.  Fast or feast as you want.  But respect the rights of others to not share your beliefs.

It must really chap your ass that the guy currently in charge of the army wears a Turban.  :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harjit_Sajjan
I find it silly.  Religion and politics should never mix.  But I understand it's not Canada's way.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2016, 09:49:14 AM

I wonder if you know how irrational you sound with all of these non sequiturs.  I suppose that, if you had an actual argument to make and some logic or evidence to support that argument, you would make it and support it.  As it is, your arguments sound like bumper-sticker slogans and logic and evidence are completely absent.
Ma!  Look!  It's a troll! :)

You know you're not forced to answer a thread when you have nothing to say.  There's no reward for increasing a post count here :)

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:45:37 AM
In a country where there's 10% atheists/agnostics, they're all on board with Trump? ;)
In a party dominated by religion, the supporters of Trump would be the less religious ones?
In various vox pop, when you hear people justifying their position on various issues by what God's wants or what the Bible says, that would be a simple coincidence that they happen to support Trump?
I have doubts.

You hadn't written this when I was writing my post, but thanks for following my post with an excellent example of exactly what i was talking about.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 09:40:40 AM

Hey, I'm religious! :P

Martinus

And sorry viper, while I sympathise with the side you are representing (although Nawaz's more nuanced view is closer to my heart) your argument does sound like a non-sequitur.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2016, 09:57:41 AM
Hey, I'm religious! :P

You're so vain you probably think every post is about you!

But now that I think about it Legbiter probably sacrifices a beta male to Odin every once in a while.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

The personal is political.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 08:57:05 AM

We have been discussing it in the Prison Food thread...because of course we have.

Because I'm great at changing the topic of conversation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

WTF - I haven't even posted in this thread.

I just find it funny that somehow baring your skin is a cultural imperative in the west, when it really wasn't that long ago when this wsa how you dressed for a day at the beach:

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2016, 10:02:19 AM
I just find it funny that somehow baring your skin is a cultural imperative in the west, when it really wasn't that long ago when this wsa how you dressed for a day at the beach:

Hey! We had to keep our pasty skin safe in the ante-sunscreen period.