News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mother-Son Incest Case

Started by Martinus, August 12, 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I think there is a fine line, but I agree with The Brain that too much prosecutorial discretion is not a good thing, if for no other reason then because you cannot ensure uniform application. It is much more preferable to have the law drafted in a way that lets people know in advance whether they will be prosecuted for some action or not.

Sheilbh

I'm not sure if that should be in the law itself. I think it's better to have the law just dealing with the offence and then a publicly available list of factors that the prosecutor must take into consideration in deciding whether to prosecute or not, and a method of querying a prosecutor's decision, for example by reference to their superior.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2016, 10:30:35 AM
I'm not sure if that should be in the law itself. I think it's better to have the law just dealing with the offence and then a publicly available list of factors that the prosecutor must take into consideration in deciding whether to prosecute or not, and a method of querying a prosecutor's decision, for example by reference to their superior.

:thumbsdown:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2016, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 01:02:01 PM
That's New Mexico but many other states explicitly cover adoptive relationships as well.

I saw that.  I just noted that the New mexico law cannot currently be justified as being one that prevents an abuse of the parent-child relationship, because it refers only to biological relationship, and exclude adoptive ones.  I fully support laws that prevent the sexual abuse of parent-child relationship (or any relationship of authority).  I don't think Mew Mexico's law, as written, does that.

Interesting.  You saw that it was a bad example of outlier legislation but you choose to use it as your example that my general premise was flawed?  The really funny thing is I picture you madly googling away trying to find anything that might contradict my statement.  Congratulations, you found the exception that proves the rule. /golf clap/

The Minsky Moment

I assume grumbler mentioned NM because the OP case was from that state.

My broader point though is that it can be dangerous to read too deeply into these statutes in terms of policy intentionality.  New Mexico was a conquered territory - rather than carry over Mexican law, it appears that the first military governor simply put in place a modified version of a mid 19th century compilation of Missouri statutes.  It's possible the incest statute dates back to that and no one bothered to review it since then.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 17, 2016, 10:46:50 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 16, 2016, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2016, 01:02:01 PM
That's New Mexico but many other states explicitly cover adoptive relationships as well.

I saw that.  I just noted that the New mexico law cannot currently be justified as being one that prevents an abuse of the parent-child relationship, because it refers only to biological relationship, and exclude adoptive ones.  I fully support laws that prevent the sexual abuse of parent-child relationship (or any relationship of authority).  I don't think Mew Mexico's law, as written, does that.

Interesting.  You saw that it was a bad example of outlier legislation but you choose to use it as your example that my general premise was flawed?  The really funny thing is I picture you madly googling away trying to find anything that might contradict my statement.  Congratulations, you found the exception that proves the rule. /golf clap/

I'm sure he had that case memorized.  I mean, he's a lawyer, right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2016, 09:39:07 AM

My broader point though is that it can be dangerous to read too deeply into these statutes in terms of policy intentionality.  New Mexico was a conquered territory - rather than carry over Mexican law, it appears that the first military governor simply put in place a modified version of a mid 19th century compilation of Missouri statutes.  It's possible the incest statute dates back to that and no one bothered to review it since then.

I don't disagree with that interpretation at all.  I simply noted that the law in this particular case was clearly not crafted with the intent of outlawing an abuse of power for sexual purposes, but rather to preventing sexual activity between people with a defined level of consanguinity - i.e. the old "ickyness factor."  It doesn't really matter whether the law was crafted in New Mexico or Missouri, or even just inherited from the common law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2016, 10:43:18 AM

My understanding of prosecutorial discretion was that it primarily related to the prosecutors deciding not to waste time on cases that they felt had poor chances of success, not that it was supposed to allow them to unilaterally "forgive" illegal behaviors that they thought were unjustly banned.  Am I mistaken?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2016, 10:29:03 AM

Malthus did a pretty good job of convincing me that there are some good reasons to maintain this restriction despite individual cases where it seems pretty meaningless.

All he did was a post a poem about Oedipus? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 18, 2016, 09:39:07 AM

Yes, I assume so as well.  I just find it particularly interesting that even though he now says he knows it is a legislative outlier he still used it as an example to suggest that the rationale which underpins more modern legislation was my invention.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2016, 04:50:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2016, 10:43:18 AM

My understanding of prosecutorial discretion was that it primarily related to the prosecutors deciding not to waste time on cases that they felt had poor chances of success, not that it was supposed to allow them to unilaterally "forgive" illegal behaviors that they thought were unjustly banned.  Am I mistaken?

Not sure what state that might be.  I assume you will be able to find at least one of the 50 where the prospect for winning the case is all that matters.  But normally the interests of justice is also a factor in exercising discretion.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 18, 2016, 06:54:05 PM
All he did was a post a poem about Oedipus? :unsure:

Those were lyrics to a song by Tom Lehrer:  Oedipus Rex

You may not recognize the name (although An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer is quite entertaining), but you heard his work on The Electric Company.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock