News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mother-Son Incest Case

Started by Martinus, August 12, 2016, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteA Mother-Son Couple Is Fighting the Law to Teach the World About Genetic Sexual Attraction

Monica Mares gave up her son Caleb Peterson when she was 16 years old. The two reconnected on Facebook when he was 19, and met in person around last Christmas. Soon he was living with her. Not long after that, they say, they became lovers.

Genetic Sexual Attraction is a term that has become more commonly used than incest in those cases where two people who are related, but don't grow up together, meet and fall in love (or lust). In an interview with The Daily Mail, Mares says that if she'd raised her son, they "probably" would never have had a sexual relationship, but she now considers him the love of her life.

Mares has two other children, nine and 12, who apparently don't have a problem with her relationship with Peterson. The law in their home state of New Mexico does, however. The family got into a fight with their neighbors in February, and when police were called, they somehow discovered that mother and son were dating. Both were charged with the fourth degree felony of incest, and arraigned jointly in April. They were held in custody for breaching their no-contact order, but are currently out on $5,000 bail.

Mares is not allowed to see Peterson or any of her other children. She doesn't seem to care.

'It is every bit worth it,' she said. 'If they lock me up for love then they lock me up. There is no way anybody could pull us apart, and I really do love him.

'It hurts he is far away. It hurts really bad. I wish I could see him, talk to him, but I can't risk it.'
Peterson says he didn't see Mares as his mother when he met her, but some of the details from his adoptive life make it sound like he didn't experience much care or tenderness. His adoptive father is no longer speaking to him.

'I never had anyone cook me meals or give me anything,' he said. 'I never got anything my entire life and she went out of her way to make me happy and after about a week or so I started having feelings for her and I guess I fell in love.

'It went beyond a mother-son relationship I never really viewed her as my mom. In certain aspects I do but mostly I don't.

'I never thought I was crazy for having these feelings because I didn't see her as my mom, it was more like going to a club and meeting a random person. It didn't feel wrong, it felt normal.'
The two are being very open with their relationship, claiming that they want more people to know about GSA. But it also sounds like they let the cat out of the bag before realizing they might face any repercussions for having sex with each other. Peterson says, "Honestly I never thought we would get into trouble for our relationship. We were both consenting adults - when it comes down to it... She's adult I'm adult I can make my own decisions. I never thought it would blow up into something like this."

Mares says she's received death threats from people around her town, and warnings that if she goes to prison there are people waiting to take her out there. Regardless of how he perceives the situation, many see Peterson as a victim, since his youth and position as her son creates an obvious imbalance of power. Yet, they seem determined to wait it out, and get back together if one or both faces jail time.

This is a difficult proposition. With the exception of some states allowing marriage between cousins, incest if definitely very illegal. The couple hopes to attract a high-profile attorney who will take their case to the supreme court. Peterson says, "You can't tell me who to love, who not to love."

http://jezebel.com/a-mother-son-couple-is-fighting-the-law-to-teach-the-wo-1785028054

Try as I might, unless you think eugenics is a great idea, I can't think of a single good reason why law should intervene in this case.

Valmy

This is a very rare case where I don't think it is in the public interest. But generally people don't meet their parents for the first time when they are adults and end up having sex with them. I think the prosecutor should have used some better judgement here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Well, I always said that I don't see any reason to intrinsically ban incest, so there you have it.

I like to live by the rule that as long as all parties to a sex act are fully aware (and capable of being fully aware) of all implications and responsibilities thereof, and agree thereto, no community, prince, god or any other authority has any right to prevent them from going at it.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:07:30 PM
I like to live by the rule that as long as all parties to a sex act are fully aware (and capable of being fully aware) of all implications and responsibilities thereof, and agree thereto, no community, prince, god or any other authority has any right to prevent them from going at it.

A very complicated rule with many gray areas :hmm:

Which is rather the rub isn't it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 01:13:17 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:07:30 PM

A very complicated rule with many gray areas :hmm:

Which is rather the rub isn't it?

It's not really that complicated - at least not compared to yours. I mean please state your rule of when sex should be permitted.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:15:17 PM
It's not really that complicated - at least not compared to yours. I mean please state your rule of when sex should be permitted.

I did. I don't think parents should be grooming their children to have sex with them when they are adults.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:15:17 PM

I did. I don't think parents should be grooming their children to have sex with them when they are adults.

Ok but that's only a part of it, surely. So my question is what is your full principle of allowing sex between two or more people. My rule encompasses all cases in the world - you called it complicated. So I would like to see a similar universal rule from you. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:18:01 PM
Ok but that's only a part of it, surely. So my question is what is your full principle of allowing sex between two or more people. My rule encompasses all cases in the world - you called it complicated. So I would like to see a similar universal rule from you. ;)

My entire point is how complicated these things are and how hard it is to make universal rules for this sort of thing. So I don't think I would be much more successful :lol:

Generally two consenting adults should be able to get it on in most circumstances.

The Brain

The law should ban everything that is icky.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2016, 01:19:22 PM

That's a good one - and a contender for a less complicated rule than mine. ;)

Valmy

Ok wow that was good.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:20:21 PM

I didn't mean it as an insult Marty :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2016, 01:20:21 PM

Then what would the two of you do for fun? :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

From the Bible to the popular song
There's one theme that we find right along
Of all ideals they hail as good
The most sublime is motherhood
There was a man though, who it seems
Once carried this ideal to extremes
He loved his mother and she loved him
And yet his story is rather grim

There once lived a man named Oedipus Rex
You may have heard about his odd complex
His name appears in Freud's Index 'cause he
Loved his mother!
His rivals used to say quite a bit that
As a monarch he was most unfit,
But still and all they had to admit that he
Loved his Mother!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
This is a very rare case where I don't think it is in the public interest. But generally people don't meet their parents for the first time when they are adults and end up having sex with them. I think the prosecutor should have used some better judgement here.

I don't see how this isn't in the public interest- the "public interest" issue is as much the increased risk of congenital defects weighing on the public health system as it is the authority imbalance issue.  Though I'd agree this sounds like a minimal issue in this specific case due to the mother being near/past the age where she's no longer likely to bear children- all things considered, given that the prosecutor felt it necessary to pursue the charges, I wonder what's not being reported- little charges like this seem to often dovetail with characters who, for whatever reason, refuse to play nice with the system.
Experience bij!