And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2021, 11:51:26 PM
Outside chance he's Iranian.  He's got that bald pattern.
His name is apparently Ahmad Al Issa, which doesn't sound Persian to me. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2021, 11:24:25 AM
His name is apparently Ahmad Al Issa, which doesn't sound Persian to me. :hmm:

Kurdish?  Afghan?  Pakistani?  Iranian-pattern male baldness is not limited to only Iranians.

Caliga

I dunno, it just sounds Arabic in general.  We'll find out more details soon enough, I guess.

Razgovory

Issa is the Arabic form of Jesus, I wonder if he's Christian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2021, 12:16:36 PM

Arabic muslim form of Jesus to be precise. Arabic Christians are much more likely to use Yasu, closer to Aramaic.

Caliga

Apparently his family came to the US from Syria.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2021, 02:10:38 PM

Well that's just great.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2021, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 23, 2021, 12:16:36 PM

Arabic muslim form of Jesus to be precise. Arabic Christians are much more likely to use Yasu, closer to Aramaic.

There was a Republican congressman who's last name was Issa, so at least some Christian Arabs use that name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Always found it curious how some countries have zero issue with the name jesus but others, such as the English speaking world, see it as a big no.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 23, 2021, 05:45:51 PM
It's Arabic for Jesus.

I heard it was the Arabic name for Jesus. Is that true?

Anyway Ahmad Al Issa sounds like a reference to Sura 61:6 of the Quran to me, which names Ahmad as the messenger which will come after Jesus and is supposed to refer to Mohammed. So it could go either way. I don't fully know how Arabic last names work though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

When he was very young/an infant. He's pretty American.

His older brother said that he'd been acting schizophrenic and paranoid for some time. So basically, the kid truly is mentally ill in this case.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 23, 2021, 07:04:59 PM

His older brother said that he'd been acting schizophrenic and paranoid for some time. So basically, the kid truly is mentally ill in this case.

Ah that makes sense. We have been talking about mental illness being a big problem with these shootings for awhile, but sadly instead of addressing that issue it seems like it is used as a basis to oppose gun control.

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on March 23, 2021, 07:04:59 PM

Just to be clear, I was merely stating that he was of Syrian origin, not implying anything about Syria/Syrians there.

In fact, my next door neighbors are Syrians and they are lovely people (the dad also happens to be the Imam at Louisville's main mosque).