News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

No, they seem like people that need professional help and care.

The Swede had served time for arson, which is not in any way a minor crime. He should have gotten help after that with his psychological issues.

The Afghan had a criminal past, he should have been sent back. There are lots of law abiding refugees that the resources could be better spent on.

Josquius

Yep. Governments are way too slow to wake up to the thread of far right indoctrination and doing something about it.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on March 04, 2021, 05:08:41 AM
We are building a cold and hard society without any kind of safety net for people with social issues. The guy in Varberg had no family, little contact with welfare and was more or less left alone in a shitty apartment with a computer and all the time in the world. I don't know, but I expect that the Afghan dude has more or less the same story. Alone, physical needs satisfied, nothing to do and all the time in the world to fall into the hands of propaganda. No wonder that a few of all the thousands act out in this manner.

While I get how such circumstances might make you care less about people, feels a little odd to then have that turn into active dislike and aggression.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Yes, it is a bit odd to go on a murder spree.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2021, 06:21:07 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 04, 2021, 05:08:41 AM
We are building a cold and hard society without any kind of safety net for people with social issues. The guy in Varberg had no family, little contact with welfare and was more or less left alone in a shitty apartment with a computer and all the time in the world. I don't know, but I expect that the Afghan dude has more or less the same story. Alone, physical needs satisfied, nothing to do and all the time in the world to fall into the hands of propaganda. No wonder that a few of all the thousands act out in this manner.

While I get how such circumstances might make you care less about people, feels a little odd to then have that turn into active dislike and aggression.
Not directly, but being isolated will make it likely for you to fall into some rabbit hole.  Once you fall into a rabbit hole, it's a matter of luck as to what insanity it will lead you to.

Razgovory

Tell me about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 04, 2021, 05:18:10 AM

The Swede had served time for arson, which is not in any way a minor crime. He should have gotten help after that with his psychological issues.

The Afghan had a criminal past, he should have been sent back. There are lots of law abiding refugees that the resources could be better spent on.

Languish might be interested to know that the Afghan was shot in the leg by the cops, and not shot 24 times in the chest. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Do Swedish cops have bad aim or something?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2021, 11:34:21 AM
Quote from: Threviel on March 04, 2021, 05:18:10 AM

Languish might be interested to know that the Afghan was shot in the leg by the cops, and not shot 24 times in the chest. :)

Did they aim for the leg by the way?

The Brain

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on March 04, 2021, 05:13:22 AM
Stabby McStab and BladyMcBlade don't seem like people you want to be friends with. Maybe if you're a youth with a criminal past you should still be serving jail time and not be out stabbing.

Maybe we could group the stabbers together into groups where they could all be friends since the share common interests.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on March 04, 2021, 12:33:59 PM
Maybe we could group the stabbers together into groups where they could all be friends since the share common interests.

We could call that a Thunderdome.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on March 05, 2021, 06:36:14 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 04, 2021, 12:33:59 PM

We could call that a Thunderdome.

Not with groups.  Only two men enter.  :mad:

The Brain

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !