News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Gone are the days of the French-Ottoman alliance.

Syt

There's been a shooting near Schwedenplatz in 1st District. Supposedly 1 dead, several injured. A synagogue is nearby, but there's conflicting reports whether it was the target, or who the perp/targets were in the shooting.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Police say it seems to be a mass shooting or terror attack. Situation remains unclear. Rumors of a suicide bomber and/or an explosion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oskar Deutsch, head of the Jewish community, says the synagogue and attached offices were closed and nobody there, so he can't confirm whether they were targeted.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Shootings in Vienna are quite rare. Usually it's part of gang violence. Police have created a a safety perimeter around the chunk of the Inner City, and apparently dozens of shots were fired, probably from semi automatic guns. One officer has been wounded. Police say one suspect is dead, another in custody. Reports of shooting further down Ringstraße near Hilton Hotel.

All in all, so far a lot of uncertainty and rumors, but nothing concrete.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Early reports are that the attacker was a Turkish soldier who somehow became separated from the main body of Mehemed IV's army and had just arrived in Vienna after over 400 years of hitchhiking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Inner City still locked down by police. Several witnesses say that at least gunman walked down a street near Schwedenplatz, an area with many crowded bars and restaurants (Covid lockdown starts tomorrow), shooting into various establishments near the synagogue. Apparently police are still searching for attackers.

EDIT: one officer is dead. One attacker is confirmed arrested, one confirmed dead. But it appears police is still looking for suspects. There were rumors of a hostage situation, but those were not confirmed.

EDIT2: leader of the emergency medical services says there's multiple injured and dead, but they're still in the process of assessing the situation.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 02, 2020, 04:05:20 PM
Inner City still locked down by police. Several witnesses say that at least gunman walked down a street near Schwedenplatz, an area with many crowded bars and restaurants (Covid lockdown starts tomorrow), shooting into various establishments near the synagogue. Apparently police are still searching for attackers.

EDIT: one officer is dead. One attacker is confirmed arrested, one confirmed dead. But it appears police is still looking for suspects. There were rumors of a hostage situation, but those were not confirmed.

EDIT2: leader of the emergency medical services says there's multiple injured and dead, but they're still in the process of assessing the situation.

Jesus. What a mess. Killing a cop? I wouldn't want to be those assholes when they catch the rest of them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

This is very likely the biggest attack since the 1985 attack on the Vienna airport at Schwechat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Rome_and_Vienna_airport_attacks
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Official tweet update from Vienna police:
- shooting around Seitenstettergasse around 8 pm
- several attackers with rifles
- currently ca. 6 crime scenes
- 1 dead, several injured
- 1 attacker dead
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Solmyr on November 02, 2020, 04:39:21 AM
Gone are the days of the French-Ottoman alliance.

The section of the Grey Wolves (islamist extreme right wing) in France is to be banned soon, according to the French government, as well.
Following clashes with the police and rioting against Armenians near Lyon.

Syt

Mariahilfer Straße, the main shopping street between 6th and 7th district is locked down. The district mayor of the 7th has advised people to stay indoors. Rumors of a hostage taking.

Still not many confirmed news.

EDIT: The Jagdkommando of the military has been activated to support the police.

I've not seen anything like this in Vienna in the 15+ years I've been here.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas