Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2020, 01:26:03 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2020, 01:20:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
Which other rights are you not a fan of?
The right to own a bazooka, a tank, a nuclear submarine, a ballistic missile launch site and that sort of things.
I never pretended to be a libertarian.

Okay, so just the rights of to weapons, free speech and religion.  Nothing else?

Free speech includes opposition to anti-blasphemy laws, something Viper is against , careful Raz!

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 07, 2020, 06:16:49 AM
The right to own a bazooka, a tank, a nuclear submarine, a ballistic missile launch site and that sort of things.

Okay, so just the rights of to weapons, free speech and religion.  Nothing else?

Free speech includes opposition to anti-blasphemy laws, something Viper is against , careful Raz!

I guess while we are at it, what rights would you take away from people? 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2020, 07:40:55 PM
They came pretty close.  I read that Lamar Hunt had to pawn his Super Bowl IV ring, and several family members lost their homes.

I think my mental recollection of the Hunt corner is mixed up with the Murphy-Ackroyd Trading Places (where the main baddies are clearly based on/inspired by the Hunt brothers).
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

only religion is an absolute right in canada.  right to free speech is not as absolute as in the US, and there is definately no such thing as a right to weapons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 07, 2020, 03:51:20 PM
Quote from: dps on February 06, 2020, 07:40:55 PM
They came pretty close.  I read that Lamar Hunt had to pawn his Super Bowl IV ring, and several family members lost their homes.

I think my mental recollection of the Hunt corner is mixed up with the Murphy-Ackroyd Trading Places (where the main baddies are clearly based on/inspired by the Hunt brothers).

Yeah same here; funny and topical at the time for the film.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Semi-related. This week, police found an illegal arms collection/stockpile in Schleswig-Holstein. Rusted mortar shells, panzerfausts, rifles, a machine gun, several kilograms of explosives, plus chemicals and material for making ammo, ...

Here's a picture of what they found:

Oh, wait, that picture is from 2015, and was found with the same guy (he also stored 90 kg of TNT at the time).

The story is basically a footnote.

Now imagine if the 40 year oldweirdo/wannabe collector wasn't a guy with a German name, but rather was called Murat or Hüseyin - this would have been all over the news.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Horse cavalry isn't used much anymore, so I don't think people would care.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Mass shooting in German city of Hanau:

At least eight people were killed in a shooting incident late on Wednesday in the German city of Hanau, mass-selling Bild newspaper reported, citing prosecutors.

http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/7P8CTU812G0/shooting-in-german-city-leaves-at-least-eight-people-dead-report-idUSKBN20D2VG
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

I'd bet on organised crime rather than terrorism, though.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on February 19, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
I'd bet on organised crime rather than terrorism, though.

Why? Because it took place on shisha bars?

Syt

11 dead. The supposed perp and another person were found dead in his apartment. Police say that a note and video have been recovered from his place, but the contents haven't been confirmed yet.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Duque de Bragança

Le Figaro, through Bild, says far-right. No mentally unstable understatement, as for islamists.

https://www.bild.de/news/2020/news/hanau-schuesse-tote-tatverdaechtiger-68909822.bild.html

QuoteTäter mordete aus rechtsradikalen Motiven

Syt

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/02/19/germany-shooting-hanau-latest-news/

QuoteGerman press have named the suspect in the Hanau shootings as Tobias R, a German national. He reportedly left behind a confessional letter and video which make clear he had far-Right motives. According to one unconfirmed report, in the video he speaks of the need to "destroy" communities who can no longer be "expelled" from Germany.

The letter and video reportedly shows signs of confusion and paranoia. The letter includes a "personal message to all Americans" in which Tobias R claims there are underground facilities in the US where children and mistreated and killed. It urges Americans to "wake up and fight" against this.

The video reportedly includes claims Germany is controlled by intelligence services. It is also denigratory of Arab and Turkish immigrants.

Tobias R was found dead when police stormed his home in Hanau in the early hours of the morning. The body of an elderly woman was also found. Reports she was the gunman's mother have not been confirmed.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 20, 2020, 02:38:50 AM
Le Figaro, through Bild, says far-right. No mentally unstable understatement, as for islamists.

:rolleyes:

They're not exactly claiming he was mentally stable.