News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2020, 10:53:50 AM
Not commented on was what they had done for the last 50 years to be so disfavoured by God.

Tried to corner the world-wide silver market.

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 01:36:44 PM
Well cults ruin lives in my country all the time. Many flavors of Islam have that kind of thing going on.

The owner of the Chiefs proclaimed that his team won the Superbowl because God blessed his family.  The players may also have had something to do with it but that seemed to be a secondary factor in the mind of the owner.  Really it was all about him and his family.

Not commented on was what they had done for the last 50 years to be so disfavoured by God.

I mean...sure. Some people might think Andy Reid is some sort of God.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 03, 2020, 01:33:31 PM
https://humanists.international/2020/01/jesuismila-how-muslim-fundamentalists-ruined-the-life-of-a-french-girl/?lang=nl

islamic terror doesn't only work with bombs to destroy our free societies.

Yeah, it also inspires ethno-nationalist demagogues to make sure free societies don't remain that way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2020, 12:40:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 03, 2020, 01:36:44 PM
Well cults ruin lives in my country all the time. Many flavors of Islam have that kind of thing going on.

The owner of the Chiefs proclaimed that his team won the Superbowl because God blessed his family.  The players may also have had something to do with it but that seemed to be a secondary factor in the mind of the owner.  Really it was all about him and his family.

I mean...sure. Some people might think Andy Reid is some sort of God.

:D

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 05, 2020, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 05, 2020, 12:48:11 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 03, 2020, 01:33:31 PM
https://humanists.international/2020/01/jesuismila-how-muslim-fundamentalists-ruined-the-life-of-a-french-girl/?lang=nl

islamic terror doesn't only work with bombs to destroy our free societies.

Yeah, it also inspires ethno-nationalist demagogues to make sure free societies don't remain that way.

https://charliehebdo.fr/2020/01/english/english-editorial-by-riss-teenagers-to-the-stake/
Don't bother.  Raz is one of those people who believe freedom of religion to be an absolute right.  If they want to make life a living hell for some teenage girl, so be it, it is their God given right.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I guess I don't understand how we can't both support the rights of Muslims while also working to prevent abuses and crimes committed inside their communities. I mean surely that is also a big part of supporting Muslims (and those who choose to leave Islam).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2020, 10:12:27 PM

Don't bother.  Raz is one of those people who believe freedom of religion to be an absolute right.

I love this!  I think it may be my new sig.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
I guess I don't understand how we can't both support the rights of Muslims while also working to prevent abuses and crimes committed inside their communities. I mean surely that is also a big part of supporting Muslims (and those who choose to leave Islam).
Religion, just like capitalism, must be sometime reigned in by intervention of the State to prevent abuses.  Raz and many others believe in absolute religious freedom, and that is incompatible with my views of a society's governance.  I do not believe discrimination against homosexuals or transgenders, for example, should be tolerated just because someone's religion mandates it. 

And that's coming from a right winger frequently classified as homophobic.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on February 05, 2020, 11:43:08 AM

Huh - never realized that family was those Hunts.  Learn something new every day. I always thought they got wiped when the corner collapsed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2020, 07:38:39 PM
Quote from: dps on February 05, 2020, 11:43:08 AM

Huh - never realized that family was those Hunts.  Learn something new every day. I always thought they got wiped when the corner collapsed.

They came pretty close.  I read that Lamar Hunt had to pawn his Super Bowl IV ring, and several family members lost their homes.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on February 06, 2020, 06:53:32 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2020, 10:19:13 PM
Religion, just like capitalism, must be sometime reigned in by intervention of the State to prevent abuses.  Raz and many others believe in absolute religious freedom, and that is incompatible with my views of a society's governance.  I do not believe discrimination against homosexuals or transgenders, for example, should be tolerated just because someone's religion mandates it. 

And that's coming from a right winger frequently classified as homophobic.

Which other rights are you not a fan of?

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
The right to own a bazooka, a tank, a nuclear submarine, a ballistic missile launch site and that sort of things.
I never pretended to be a libertarian.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on February 07, 2020, 01:20:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
The right to own a bazooka, a tank, a nuclear submarine, a ballistic missile launch site and that sort of things.
I never pretended to be a libertarian.

Okay, so just the rights of to weapons, free speech and religion.  Nothing else?