And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on March 23, 2018, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2018, 02:24:27 PM
3 dead and 16 wounded including a critically injured gendarme commissioned officer who offered himself to replace a hostage.

Damn.  :(

The gendarme died from his wounds this morning. :(

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 24, 2018, 06:52:49 AM
3 dead and 16 wounded including a critically injured gendarme commissioned officer who offered himself to replace a hostage.

That's a tragedy.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 24, 2018, 03:11:12 AM
He means normal things, not kgb torture experiments.
No, I just think he's normalizing insanity.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2018, 08:09:59 AM

You didn't attend high school in the US, did you?

DGuller

Quote from: dps on March 24, 2018, 03:21:59 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 24, 2018, 08:09:59 AM

You didn't attend high school in the US, did you?
:huh: I sure did.

Eddie Teach

DGuller was hall monitor.

Though I don't think high school is the real culprit, adolescents naturally feel alienated.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

To the extent that alienation is a problem, it's the fact that everyone involved is not quite grown up yet.  Those feeling alienated do not yet have the social skills to find a place they belong, and those helping alienation do not yet have sufficient empathy to reach out rather than exclude. 

Sure, you can lock people away from interaction with their peers, but that seems like a cure much worse than the disease.  At the end of the day, most of us survive the horrors of teen years and US high schools, even if we have to live through an unpleasant period or two.

dps

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 24, 2018, 04:05:28 PM
Though I don't think high school is the real culprit, adolescents naturally feel alienated.

You may be right about that, though the way high schools are set up and run certainly doesn't help.  And that might just be in the nature of schools;  there might not be much we can do about it.  I remember on of my sociology texts in college was talking about primary and secondary schools, and pointed out that you will never again be in an institution that has that much control over your life, unless you enter the military or go to prison.  Probably not really a problem in primary schools, where you're dealing with little kids, but maybe a different story in high schools, where you're dealing with teenagers.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2018, 04:32:34 PM
I doubt being homeschooled had anything to do with it.  If you want to make someone feel alienated, I can's think of anything you could do more likely to accomplish that than sending them to the typical US high school.

I thought this was in France? Why would he have gone to the typical US high school? Or was the killer American?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2018, 02:33:21 PM
I doubt being homeschooled had anything to do with it.  If you want to make someone feel alienated, I can's think of anything you could do more likely to accomplish that than sending them to the typical US high school.

I thought this was in France? Why would he have gone to the typical US high school? Or was the killer American?
wtf?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 24, 2018, 06:52:49 AM

He was, truly, a hero (a word that gets devalued these days, but if he wasn't one, then the word has no meaning).

A terrible loss.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2018, 02:37:06 PM

wtf?

Did I get different conversational strands mixed?

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2018, 02:37:38 PM
He was, truly, a hero (a word that gets devalued these days, but if he wasn't one, then the word has no meaning).

A terrible loss.

Indeed.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2018, 02:39:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2018, 02:37:06 PM

wtf?

Did I get different conversational strands mixed?

Yes. That strand is about Austin...or rather stemmed from that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.