Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on March 23, 2018, 06:22:24 AM
Stuff in France again.

In the former Cathar lands, near Carcassonne, though it's no Cathar, of course. French media reports say it's a Moroccan who sworn allegiance to Daesh.

At least one death reported for now in French media, plus several wounded, one severely, at least. Hostage situation.

QuoteA gunman shot and wounded a policeman in the French tourist city of Carcassonne and an attacker was holding hostages in nearby Trebes on Friday. Prosecutors say they are treating the hostage-taking as a security incident.
What we know so far:

Security forces are responding to two separate incidents in southwestern France.
A policeman was shot and wounded in the tourist city of Carcassonne.
An attacker was holding hostages at a supermarket in Trebes, a 15-minute drive from Carcassonne.
At least one person was killed during the hostage-taking, according to French media reports.
It was unclear if the two incidents were linked.
Prosecutors said they were treating the hostage-taking as a terror incident.

http://www.france24.com/en/20180323-liveblog-shooting-hostage-taking-southwest-france-carcassone-trebes

mongers

Most people escaped the supermarket, though it's reported two are dead.   :(

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2018, 04:04:16 AM

What challenges in your life lead you to blowing up innocent people not out of hate?

I wonder how alienated I would have to be to think setting out random explosives was something I would want to do? It is hard to have empathy.

I found the fact he was home-schooled interesting. That would imply a degree of isolation. I can get why that would make one alienated or frustrated by why want to take it out on the general population you have had little contact with?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2018, 07:23:54 AM
In the former Cathar lands, near Carcassonne, though it's no Cathar, of course. French media reports say it's a Moroccan who sworn allegiance to Daesh.

At least one death reported for now in French media, plus several wounded, one severely, at least. Hostage situation.

Hostage situation? What could he possibly be demanding?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

He is not demanding anything anymore since he was shot by the GIGN, the Gendarmerie SWAT unit.
Early reports mentioned he demanded the release of Salah Abdeslam, unconfirmed.
Daesh claimed the attack.

A hoodlum, convicted several times, who "radicalised" himself. Pity he did not become a radical vegetarian or vegan.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2018, 10:17:34 AM
Daesh claimed the attack.

Well, of course they did. It is good for their brand.

QuoteHe is not demanding anything anymore since he was shot by the GIGN, the Gendarmerie SWAT unit.

I hope none of the hostages were hurt. If not, good work by law enforcement.

Duque de Bragança

3 dead and 16 wounded including a critically injured gendarme commissioned officer who offered himself to replace a hostage.

Malthus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 23, 2018, 02:24:27 PM
3 dead and 16 wounded including a critically injured gendarme commissioned officer who offered himself to replace a hostage.

Damn.  :(

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2018, 09:55:49 AM

I found the fact he was home-schooled interesting. That would imply a degree of isolation. I can get why that would make one alienated or frustrated by why want to take it out on the general population you have had little contact with?

I doubt being homeschooled had anything to do with it.  If you want to make someone feel alienated, I can's think of anything you could do more likely to accomplish that than sending them to the typical US high school.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2018, 04:32:34 PM

I doubt being homeschooled had anything to do with it.  If you want to make someone feel alienated, I can's think of anything you could do more likely to accomplish that than sending them to the typical US high school.

Which is essentially what I was saying. I thought it was odd he was home schooled. I mean that also usually implies a large degree of parental involvement.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 23, 2018, 09:42:04 PM

Which is essentially what I was saying. I thought it was odd he was home schooled. I mean that also usually implies a large degree of parental involvement.

I interpreted your post the same way dps did.

Homeschooling = isolation = alienation.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2018, 09:44:13 PM
I interpreted your post the same way dps did.

Homeschooling = isolation = alienation.

Ah. I only meant in this dude's case. I was saying that I suppose that homeschooling could lead to a sense of isolation and alienation. I mean most homeschoolers are not blowing up people as far as I know. But even in that case I thought it was weird he would lash out at the general public like that.

DGuller

:wacko:

Eddie Teach

He means normal things, not kgb torture experiments.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?