News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Oddly enough Samantha Bee had a segment about how research had shown domestic violence was often a common thread among these white male shooters and that rarely were laws against gun ownership for domestic abusers being enforced.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/talalansari/air-force-kelley?utm_term=.nmv78Oar4#.ceK2BEQ5e

QuoteAir Force Didn't Register The Church Shooter's Domestic Violence Conviction In A Firearms Database

The Air Force on Monday said it failed to alert federal authorities to Texas church shooter Devin Patrick Kelley's 2012 domestic violence conviction, which could have prevented him from purchasing the firearm he used to massacre 26 people on Sunday night.

"Kelley was convicted by a general court martial on two charges of domestic assault against his wife and step-son under Article 128 of the Uniformed Code of Military Justice," the Air Force said in a statement. "Initial information indicates that Kelley's domestic violence offense was not entered into the National Criminal Information Center database by the Holloman Air Force Base Office of Special Investigation."

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) database is an FBI-run government agency responsible for "saving lives and protecting people from harm—by not letting guns fall into the wrong hands," according to the agency.

The revelation was a moment of clarity amid conflicting information concerning how, and if, Kelley was legally allowed to purchase firearms. Police said they found a Ruger AR-556 rifle near him and he had a Glock 9 millimeter and a Ruger .22 in his car.

Sam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBuKbe40uWM
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

The victims need to go after the govmint
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that the shooter was denied a concealed carry permit in Texas, which, according to the reporter is harder to acquire than generally believed.

I'm not clear on concealed carry.  If you don't have a cc permit, can you carry openly, meaning concealment is a special privilege?

CountDeMoney

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2017, 03:19:38 PM
Heard on NPR that the shooter was denied a concealed carry permit in Texas, which, according to the reporter is harder to acquire than generally believed.

I'm not clear on concealed carry.  If you don't have a cc permit, can you carry openly, meaning concealment is a special privilege?

Generally speaking, yes, but if you're planning on carrying, you need to check the law in your state.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2017, 03:19:38 PM

Depends on the state, but generally yes.  A handful of states now allow concealed carry without a permit, and I think in some states and/or localities you can't open carry or need a permit to do so.

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/guns-in-public/open-carry/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

'I'm an Islamic fundamentalist who thinks that Egyptian society is too secular. How do I go about changing this?'

QuoteEgypt mosque attack: At least 155 killed in Sinai
Suspected militants have launched a bomb and gun attack on a mosque in Egypt's North Sinai province, killing 155 people, state media report.
Witnesses say the al-Rawda mosque in the town of Bir al-Abed, near al-Arish, was targeted during Friday prayers.
Local police said men in four off-road vehicles opened fire on worshippers, AP reported.
Egypt has been fighting an Islamist insurgency in the region, which has intensified since 2013.
There have been regular attacks blamed on militants on the Sinai peninsula, but this is the deadliest assault of its kind.
Pictures from the scene show rows of bloodied victims inside the mosque. More than 100 people were also wounded, reports say.

One report said the target appeared to be supporters of the security forces who were praying at the mosque.
President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi is to meet security officials to discuss the incident, Egypt's private Extra News TV reported.

It is not yet known who was behind Friday's attack.
Jihadist militants have been waging an insurgency in recent years, stepping up attacks after Egypt's military overthrew Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in July 2013.
Hundreds of police, soldiers and civilians have been killed since then, mostly in attacks carried out by Sinai Province group, which is affiliated to so-called Islamic State (IS).
In September, at least 18 policemen were killed in an attack on a convoy near al-Arish by militants affiliated with IS.
The jihadists have also killed dozens of people in attacks targeting Egypt's Coptic Christian minority elsewhere in the country, and claimed they planted the bomb that brought down a Russian plane carrying tourists in Sinai in 2015, killing 224 people on board.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42110223

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

garbon

Well nothing turns out to have occurred in central London tonight but for a bit I was barred from leaving my office (as well as other shops were shuttered) and people were screaming and running down the street.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2017, 01:22:59 PM
Well nothing turns out to have occurred in central London tonight but for a bit I was barred from leaving my office (as well as other shops were shuttered) and people were screaming and running down the street.

fake news report that Trump was coming?

garbon

Claims of gunshots. Happened a few months back (but without screaming) when people thought there was a bomb explosion and evacuated. In that instance was a person on the tracks being hit by a train.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 24, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
Claims of gunshots. Happened a few months back (but without screaming) when people thought there was a bomb explosion and evacuated. In that instance was a person on the tracks being hit by a train.

So blind panic?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Ah apparently something did happen this time that set it off, as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/24/oxford-circus-police-attend-tube-incident

QuoteAn altercation between two men appears to have triggered the outbreak of mass panic in London on one of the busiest shopping days of the year, leading to people fleeing in fear, armed police being deployed and a section of the West End being evacuated.

British Transport Police issued a CCTV appeal for information about two men believed to be involved in a fight in Oxford Circus tube station on Friday afternoon as part of their inquiries into the cause of the panic.

Nine people were injured as hundreds ran to escape what they believed to be an attack on Friday evening, only to find it was a false alarm. The reaction was a sign of just how jittery many have become at the end of a year in which the capital and Manchester have been targeted by five terrorist attacks.

Sophia Smith, a witness to the fight, told the Guardian an altercation on a Victoria line platform panicked travellers and caused people to start running.

"Young boys with a few girls were attacking each other and everyone screamed and began to run," she said. "I escaped through the exit along with hundreds of other people and some women were on the floor and shoes were falling off and shopping bags. It was absolutely terrifying."

The incident began just after 4.30pm and centred on the tube station, where a number of passengers began to flee amid rumours that a gun had been fired.

As they fled, so did other passengers inside the station. As the crowds spilled out on to Oxford Street, hundreds of Christmas shoppers also started to run.

garbon

On the mosque, I think I saw 235 now. :(

Iormlund

Guess who departs for Egypt tomorrow? Even my boss called me to tell me to be careful.   :lol: